Framing questions

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'm fairly new to buying oil paintings that aren't already on canvas or framed. Well, I recently purchased a fairly expensive oil on paper painting. I know I want some museum quality UV glass, but I've never been a huge fan of matting. What are my realistic options here? The painting was 4 figures, so I don't really want to skimp out.

School me, art guys!

Spacers? Rag cotton? Frame color/material, contrast or blend with the colors? Jeez, I'm overwhelmed.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
If you already put that much money down on it, you might want to just spring to have a professional frame it for you too. If you do a search of local art shops/dealers you'll probably find someone that can help you out.

I had to mat several of my illustrations when I took art classes in college, which isn't too hard to do. When it comes to framing, I just buy one that fits (tip: you can find some cheap, yet awesome, ones at thrift stores) and shove my photo/art inside of it--as long I don't bend or damage the paper/cardstock in the process, I consider the process to be a success. I'd say that you'd generally want the frame to contrast with the art, and you should also consider where you're going to hang it and try to pick an appropriate hue/design that will go with the corresponding wall/room.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
What size it the painting? Mats are important for a few reasons, they help preserve art (a print, or paper in this case), help it bowing/rippling over time, and they make the art stand out a bit more, which might not be the desired effect you want.

Just about any framer will tell you to use a mat, but I do fully understand why it wouldn't look right in some cases, just look at some of the Reon Argondian fantasy pieces, I can't picture them matted.
Spoiler:
dscf2623_1.jpg

http://reon.cz/index.php?lang=en&page=portfolio

The content of art and where you hang it will determine what color mat and style of frame you want, I can't really help you there without seeing it for myself.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
At some point, you'll have to go to a good shop with custom framing and test each you liked on site. Theory doesn't help here. An alternative would be to go to such a store, pick up any sample you're fond of (they are mostly presented in form of a single corner), make photos and put your photographed painting together with them via software. This helps to get a preselection or even a rough concept.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Since it's oil on paper reversible float mount with museum glass and obviously make sure all materials are acid free.. Take to a professional and be prepared to spend serious $$$.

Frame aesthetics are up to you.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
What size it the painting? Mats are important for a few reasons, they help preserve art (a print, or paper in this case), help it bowing/rippling over time, and they make the art stand out a bit more, which might not be the desired effect you want.

Just about any framer will tell you to use a mat, but I do fully understand why it wouldn't look right in some cases, just look at some of the Reon Argondian fantasy pieces, I can't picture them matted.

The content of art and where you hang it will determine what color mat and style of frame you want, I can't really help you there without seeing it for myself.

It's 20"x14", from my favorite Pinball artist. My walls are eggshell, nothing exciting there.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
What about spacers instead of matting? After seeing the art, do you guys truly think matting is the way to go? I really dislike the look of matting, but don't want curl.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
brightish blue (like the ones theres a bit of in there but somewhat darker)matting warm wood frame(not 'brown'like the thighs above the knees)

Madonna

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
brightish blue (like the ones theres a bit of in there but somewhat darker)matting warm wood frame(not 'brown'like the thighs above the knees)

Madonna

Lol, I don't see it?
a1309644592f07ca2770e08c6a312308.jpg

Maybe a red frame to bring out 'dat titty paint. :p

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
you gotta be kidding its totally her... warm wood tones will have some red hues.

that blue in her background pic there would be great for the mat.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I've played around with different framing colors in editing software and by far Standard wood shows the gal off and softens the edges, but solid green looks AMAZING however your eye is actually drawn to the frame a bit too much. I'm thinking of a yellow natural wood frame with a more greenish stain to the grain, or a distressed green wood frame that shows the wood through the finish. Something like this:
distressed_cimarron_leafy_green.jpg

Yay, nay?

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I've played around with different framing colors in editing software and by far Standard wood shows the gals and softens tge edges, but green looks AMAZING but your eye is actually drawn to the frame a bit too much. I'm thinking of a yellow natural wood frame with a more greenish stain to the grain, or a distressed green wood frame that shows the wood through the finish. Something like this:
a18758c554fa990501cdbc6564aa414a.jpg

Yay, nay?

thats a donought? just get mat in the blue color behind maddonna above and go with light colored natural wood

...mat, its expensive?! and good for it.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
thats a donought? just get mat in the blue color behind maddonna above and go with light colored natural wood

...mat, its expensive?! and good for it.

That donut represents my arse, Madonna is rad, and stop going through your artistic blue period. :p

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I like to keep my framing simple. Black frame, 2" mat.

Of course my background is photography, so I think you would have a little more room to play with paintings.

But you definitely don't want a frame that will distract from the art.

For the size of art you have, it shouldn't cost more than $250 even with the museum glass.

I had this piece, the cover art for Wasteland by Barry E. Jackson framed for $180:

P8230607.jpg

The art itself is 17" x 17", and the matted area is 18" x 18.5". Got that extra half inch at the bottom to show off Barry's signature and the edition number. I had 2" mat done on all sides, so the frame would be 20" x 20.5"... I could have done it myself except for the fact that it's an odd size and so I had to have the glass cut for it. Not trying that myself with expensive museum glass, lol.

But anyways, I wouldn't think it would cost more than $250 to frame yours up.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ki god bless you, i love the art for that and all,but that framing is like smokehouse Nintendo Power poster level of framing right there. i am so sorry.

edit: $180 for that?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
but that framing is like smokehouse Nintendo Power poster level of framing right there

That wasn't a poster, that was the whole issue.

Along with the console boxes underneath it. On a desk he uses for work.

In an office where people walk into to discuss work-related subjects.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I like to keep my framing simple. Black frame, 2" mat.

Of course my background is photography, so I think you would have a little more room to play with paintings.

But you definitely don't want a frame that will distract from the art.

For the size of art you have, it shouldn't cost more than $250 even with the museum glass.

I had this piece, the cover art for Wasteland by Barry E. Jackson framed for $180:

View attachment 38724

The art itself is 17" x 17", and the matted area is 18" x 18.5". Got that extra half inch at the bottom to show off Barry's signature and the edition number. I had 2" mat done on all sides, so the frame would be 20" x 20.5"... I could have done it myself except for the fact that it's an odd size and so I had to have the glass cut for it. Not trying that myself with expensive museum glass, lol.

But anyways, I wouldn't think it would cost more than $250 to frame yours up.

There we go. That's real framing, also nice and clean.

People scoffing have no idea about preservation, mounting techs, glass etc.

If you actually value something for the love of god do not put it into an ikea or some other shit plastic frame you got at target etc. I've probably spent 5k just on framing in the last decade for the stuff I've got hanging and it will last a lifetime and then some.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
ki god bless you, i love the art for that and all,but that framing is like smokehouse Nintendo Power poster level of framing right there. i am so sorry.

edit: $180 for that?

What would you have put it in? A gaudy gold frame with a fleur de lis in high relief? :lolz:

This is art, son.

There we go. That's real framing, also nice and clean.

People scoffing have no idea about preservation, mounting techs, glass etc.

If you actually value something for the love of god do not put it into an ikea or some other shit plastic frame you got at target etc. I've probably spent 5k just on framing in the last decade for the stuff I've got hanging and it will last a lifetime and then some.

Absolutely! It pays to have stuff done the correct way so the art can last for generations to come.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
whos the artist? that tipped over lambo and the unconvincing transition of damage no damage...why the street fine in middle and buildings down there but street hurt on edge at bootom of buildings, plus the tipped over really sharp still car? what are the little mans doing? it is a library?

if you don't smoke or pee everywhere...what are you worried about?

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
whos the artist? that tipped over lambo and the unconvincing transition of damage no damage...why the street fine in middle and buildings down there but street hurt on edge at bootom of buildings, plus the tipped over really sharp still car? what are the little mans doing? it is a library?

if you don't smoke or pee everywhere...what are you worried about?

I have no idea why I'm wasting my time responding to this post, but here goes:

1) I gave you enough info in my first post for you to figure out what art it is.

2) I don't see a transition between damaged and non-damaged buildings... each building you see has some kind of damage. In a combat situation, damage is never distributed evenly between everything, is it? Sometimes a stray rocket is gonna hit one building and not another.

3) You might want to read up on the effects of UV damage on painted and printed artwork.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I thought this thread was about farming :(

Where's bobak when u need him

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I have no idea why I'm wasting my time responding to this post, but here goes:

1) I gave you enough info in my first post for you to figure out what art it is.
its all about the hand painted eggshells pysanky4lyfe BOOM! CheckMate mothrFuk :yeah: :keke:

Not really tho