SoCal Retro Gaming Expo 8/20 - 8/21

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
It's gonna be this upcoming weekend 8/20 - 8/21. Anyone going?

socalretrogamingexpo.com

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'm going not sure on which day tho. Bummed they are charging for entry this time though.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Trying to figure out who is going right now. I'll probably head down for a bit since I'm picking up a cab in the area anyway.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
I'll be there tomorrow for at least a few hours. Never been there before.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yes it's the second time they have done it. I just got back, it's almost unbearably hot in frank and sons. I've never been to frank and sons in the summer so I didn't know what to expect. I picked up some cib n64 games, not much Neo geo to be found though. Good luck/happy hunting if you go.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Yes it's the second time they have done it. I just got back, it's almost unbearably hot in frank and sons. I've never been to frank and sons in the summer so I didn't know what to expect. I picked up some cib n64 games, not much Neo geo to be found though. Good luck/happy hunting if you go.

I was there longer than I thought I would be and it did start to get hot in there in the afternoon but not too bad. I guess it depends on the weather. The only thing I didn't like was the extreme lack of parking at Frank & Sons. Ended up walking a mile or two from some residential neighborhood to avoid the threat of tow signs. But I guess you are used to that if you live in the LA area?

I thought Frank & Sons was cool on the inside. They had the expo on one side and then all the other vendors selling all sorts of other types of collectibles. First time I seen something like a swap meet dedicated to collectibles.

I didn't pick up much at the expo. There was virtually nil Neo stuff as usual like most events like this. One other forum member from here had a vendor booth with a Neo 29 Candy Cab which I thought was pretty cool. I ended up picking up a couple Nintendo items.

Last edited:

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
I was not really impressed by the event at all. I walked the floor in less than 5 minutes and none of the arcade games that were there really grabbed my attention. If you're going to find stuff that are collectables and such then this is the place for you, but if you're going to just hang out and have a good time I'd look somewhere else. I understand their position though, they really need to build it up and this is only the second event. I'll probably go back in a few years.

csauce

n00b
There was a guy selling his NeoGeo collection, AES system (11,000s serial) and 2 arcade joystick controllers which I bought all of. All were legit English AES and the biggest titles were KoF2k2 and SNK Vs Capcom, but he also had Alpha Mission 2, Magician Lord, Super Baseball 2020, Samurai Spirits (JP), World Heroes, The Super Spy, Nam 1975 King of the Monsters and Fatal Fury Special.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
There was a guy selling his NeoGeo collection, AES system (11,000s serial) and 2 arcade joystick controllers which I bought all of. All were legit English AES and the biggest titles were KoF2k2 and SNK Vs Capcom, but he also had Alpha Mission 2, Magician Lord, Super Baseball 2020, Samurai Spirits (JP), World Heroes, The Super Spy, Nam 1975 King of the Monsters and Fatal Fury Special.

Was that the guy that had the Candy Cab in front of his booth? You must of beat me to that Neo stuff. I did see a Sengoku 3 for $2000 there but nothing else for the Neo.