Who else has gone back to consumer crts?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I have a 14" PVM thats nice, but honestly I play 80% of my retro games via component on a 29" Toshiba CRT. I just prefer the comfort of not having to be hunched over a desk to play on the 14" screen, and component is honestly good enough. Before switching to consumer CRTs with component I did RGB mod another 29" Toshiba CRT and was NOT happy with the results. The image had all sorts of little defects, most notable was color streaking.

I also have a Framemeister, and have debated getting a nice 40" LED, to replace the CRT so I can have newer consoles in the game room too, but the thought of having "lag" just turns me off. I'm bad enough at video games as is, I dont need anymore disadvantages.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
My AES is hooked up to a 4:3 Bang & Olufsen Beovision 1. It's a great set that has the bonus of still looking stylish in today's modern homes, where as most CRT sets are a bit of an eyesore. Always tempted to buy a second as a back up every time I see one for sale nearby, which isn't very often.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I have a 14" PVM thats nice, but honestly I play 80% of my retro games via component on a 29" Toshiba CRT. I just prefer the comfort of not having to be hunched over a desk to play on the 14" screen, and component is honestly good enough. Before switching to consumer CRTs with component I did RGB mod another 29" Toshiba CRT and was NOT happy with the results. The image had all sorts of little defects, most notable was color streaking.

I also have a Framemeister, and have debated getting a nice 40" LED, to replace the CRT so I can have newer consoles in the game room too, but the thought of having "lag" just turns me off. I'm bad enough at video games as is, I dont need anymore disadvantages.

i think if i can get a hold of 14 inch PVM for my shop then i'm all set.

i should have grabbed one before all these retro goons started gobling them up. Now the prices arent very reasonable for a RGB monitor of that size

Id like a framemeister is on my radar too but but thats way down the road for me

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
In addition to my PVM I also use a consumer Sony CRT, KV-25XBR. Except it's a consumer model with a RGB input and some parts shared with the PVM 2530 (including the tube). Oops.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Thanks. I think I have found them. What am I looking for in the manual that would suggest it's a good model or not? Sorry, complete n00b at stuff like this.
Look for the inputs first - S-video? Component? RGB? (This one should have Scart?)
Check how many hz it has (60hz would be good, while on 100hz sets the picture is different (to me bad even) and lightguns won't work (which isn't relevant with a Neo set up)).
Then - if you can find info on that - the resolution (number of TVLs).
Check if there is any mention of a service menu, that'd be good for later (if you pick it up) and you can check now what options there are to tune the TV without having to open it up.

The set you have linked is 4:3 and seems to be an SD model, both good things for the Neo.
It's a nice size and comes with the remote (the latter is important to have because of the service menu).

If all these things check out, you could ask the seller how much it has been operated (maybe you get lucky and it was only set up in a guest room or sth.) and if the picture looks good (convergence, colors etc.).

And at this price, I really wouldn't overthink it... grab it, keep it if it's good... if not, check the next one.

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I discovered rgb gaming when I got back in the retro scene around 2 years ago. Before that I thought games on the Virtual Console were the best they've ever looked but I was sorely mistaken. After I got a frameister and ordered my genesis scart cable, there is no going back to anything lower ever again.

I look at the connections the same way as I look at PC gaming modes with rf being below Low Setting. Composite for low setting, S-Video for medium setting, Component on a nice consumer crt as high, and rgb on a nice rgb monitor as ultra settings.

I own a large presentation crt that is up there with the largest of the consumer models and I am in love with that set. It has all the pros and cons of owning one of these giants crt's. The worse one of course being the weight and size of the thing. Luckily I got friends to help but if I didn't I think a nice 27' inch consumer model wouldn't be that bad. If crt was out of the question, the frameister paired with an oled tv would probably look pretty sweet as well. Honestly I'm just glad we got so many different options now for playing our games than we ever did as kids.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
I use my 20" PVM for my RGB consoles like the AV Famicom, SNES, Saturn & Dreamcast but lately I've been mainly using my Commodore 1702 for my Turbo Duo & my Twin Famicom because it's small enough to sit on my work desk with one console sitting on top the display and the other on the desk . Convenience over clarity I suppose.

To be honest, it's both, but i prefer a pvm over a crt, because it just matches my setup perfectly, but there is nothing wrong with a Sony Trinitron CRT.

Hmm, i might add one some day.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I never started using them in the first place... got my SONY Trinitron Color TV, No. KV-X2901D since a quarter of a century for all 240p material. The only update was a Pioneer PDP V401 -- and it was worth it.

Jeez man I would kil for one of those PDPs... They are _never_ available for sale. Anywhere! Not even eBay. What's the story behind yours?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I use to have one of those (mine had composite/s-video/component/RF). The S-video was BEAUTIFUL on the supergun. I ended up giving it away years ago, but I remember in the top-left corner there was a slight "bending" of the picture. Not enough to notice unless you looked closely enough.

yeah the later flat wega trinitrons were quite prone to geometry issues like that, I had several which no amount of fuckery in the service menu could I remedy the problems that developed. Probably too much tate-ing and untating might have contributed to the problems. I used to stand by these TVs, but after amassing a pile of them, I can't even stand to look at them with all the time I've wasted in service menu hell.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Fudoh has a hard on for those PDP sets. I'm shocked those TVs are not in such high demand as PVMs.

Pioneer pdp?

It's an early model industrial plasma display that supports 240p rgb.

A lot of thanks is due to this thread that all came to fruition tonight. The above quotes piqued my interest when they were posted late last week/weekend and got myself and local member Ralfakick looking at possibly getting a PDP. Ralfakick found a Pioneer Pro 1000-HDI for sale locally at a great price (original MSRP is $17,500). He didn't have the balls to pull the trigger so I did and am pretty happy with the results pictured below.

MFfBCD5m.jpg

c1h4bANm.jpg

AiPeXlNm.jpg

VOMtNrTm.jpg

Still needs to be dialed in as I just set it up tonight but it is doing RGB (with BNC inputs) via my supergun with CPS2 on a 50" screen.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I have a big ass old silver Sony Trinatron that I use on old shit and a Key Digital upconverter that can work wonders on newer TVs using anything aside from a composite source on my Bravia. So yes.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
If you're talking 1to1 trade - don't, PVMs shouldn't be that expensive. The Trinitron you have looks alright, S-Video shouldn't bee too bad, so you have something to do solid gaming on until a good opportunity comes to upgrade.

Thanks xsq, yeah all the PVM access I've had is via ebay which lists decent BVM units for near $300 range (which is too much and why I would have to trade in the Xrgb) but your right this crt is solid enough to keep around, especially at the cheap price I got it for.

I use to have one of those (mine had composite/s-video/component/RF). The S-video was BEAUTIFUL on the supergun. I ended up giving it away years ago, but I remember in the top-left corner there was a slight "bending" of the picture. Not enough to notice unless you looked closely enough.

Dude did I get your's because mine has the same "bending" in the left corner I have a feeling. Everything is warped inwards, seems like pin cushion geometry issues from all the research I did when digging into service manuals and menus to try and fix it but for most games that stretch to screen naturally its barely visible. Your enthusiasm made me plug it in again after a few months of disuse brotha haha! I have a super gun on the way so I def will try it with that!

I was so excite when I got mine. Sometimes I wonder what I will do if it stops working.

Smash it with a bat. Actually dont you will die when the screen implodes. Shoot it instead.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Ralfakick found a Pioneer Pro 1000-HDI for sale locally at a great price (original MSRP is $17,500). He didn't have the balls to pull the trigger so I did and am pretty happy with the results pictured below.
nice!

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Pvm is nice and all but but nothing wrong with a decent crt. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being 10 years old and not giving a shit about all this stuff and just enjoy the games for what they are. Didn't care if I was playing through RF on a 13" tube back then as long as I could play a game. :lolz:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been mainly using my Commodore 1702 for my Turbo Duo & my Twin Famicom because it's small enough to sit on my work desk with one console sitting on top the display and the other on the desk . Convenience over clarity I suppose.

Hey, don't knock that little Commodore monitor. I've had one for years, and the image it produces is among the finest I've seen from any tube ever. Composite video looks outstanding on it, and you can buy an adapter to plug into the chroma and luma plugs on the back to use standard svideo connections. The set is small enough that I don't think RGB would be a significant improvement over the svideo anyway, and I'd put that set up against a PVM any day.

I mentioned earlier I switched to using the Samsung TV. Well, I randomly found a Sony Wega KV-27FS200 on Craigslist for $10 near me so I went and grabbed it yesterday. It's a fantastic set, and after playing Daytona USA on it I was like "yeah, the PVM is GONE." One thing that did surprise me though is how well my old Sammy compares to it in component, I thought it would be more of a difference. The Samsung might be a hair sharper, but the Trinitron blows it away in coloring and it has a great comb filter for composite sources. I really need to get a new SCART to component converter though, some of the visual defects mine has that I attributed to the old TV are actually inherent in the converter itself it seems.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
A lot of thanks is due to this thread that all came to fruition tonight. The above quotes piqued my interest when they were posted late last week/weekend and got myself and local member Ralfakick looking at possibly getting a PDP. Ralfakick found a Pioneer Pro 1000-HDI for sale locally at a great price (original MSRP is $17,500). He didn't have the balls to pull the trigger so I did and am pretty happy with the results pictured below.

View attachment 38546

View attachment 38549

View attachment 38547

View attachment 38545

Still needs to be dialed in as I just set it up tonight but it is doing RGB (with BNC inputs) via my supergun with CPS2 on a 50" screen.

More like Ralfakick didn't have any more room for yet another tv, and he thought he'd do a "friend" of his a solid by mentioning it to him.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Hey, don't knock that little Commodore monitor. I've had one for years, and the image it produces is among the finest I've seen from any tube ever. Composite video looks outstanding on it, and you can buy an adapter to plug into the chroma and luma plugs on the back to use standard svideo connections. The set is small enough that I don't think RGB would be a significant improvement over the svideo anyway, and I'd put that set up against a PVM any day.

I mentioned earlier I switched to using the Samsung TV. Well, I randomly found a Sony Wega KV-27FS200 on Craigslist for $10 near me so I went and grabbed it yesterday. It's a fantastic set, and after playing Daytona USA on it I was like "yeah, the PVM is GONE." One thing that did surprise me though is how well my old Sammy compares to it in component, I thought it would be more of a difference. The Samsung might be a hair sharper, but the Trinitron blows it away in coloring and it has a great comb filter for composite sources. I really need to get a new SCART to component converter though, some of the visual defects mine has that I attributed to the old TV are actually inherent in the converter itself it seems.

Try a new psu. I was ready to ditch mine and just for shits and giggles I bought a $10 universal psu and all the artifacting went away.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

I was able to get an svideo cable for chroma luma from console5 recently for one of my 1702s, I was on the lookout for one for a while, works great and outputs an excellent picture.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Try a new psu. I was ready to ditch mine and just for shits and giggles I bought a $10 universal psu and all the artifacting went away.

I'll give it a shot, I don't remember which PSU actually went with it so I grabbed a random one from my PSU drawer. The main issue I'm having is whites looked washed out, kinda like if a TV's contrast is set way too high, but it's not actually bright. For example, if you look at Ryu's profile picture in Super SF2 his face looks fantastic but his gi is like a washed out gray. I have opened it up and adjusted the pots and it improved the image by quite a bit but didn't totally fix it. I'd like to try one of Fusion's converters too to see how it compares but he's out of them at the moment.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
No wonder Fudoh has a hard on for that monitor, it looks amazing.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Oh yeah, I forgot that the other monitor was 4:3. This one still looks pretty nice and it should be considering how much it cost brand new.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Jeez man I would kil for one of those PDPs... They are _never_ available for sale. Anywhere! Not even eBay. What's the story behind yours?

I just kept bugging a standard search engine, tried numerous keywords and finally found one at some rental storage 20 miles away from where I live. It had about 3000+ hours, no burn-ins and a scratch free display. No speakers, but I wouldn't recommend them anyway: for one, they're passive, so you'd still need a preamp, yet the real flaw is, that you can't tate your PDP with both of them attached. Anyway, cost me $255 and $35 for the SyncStrike. I can't use component tho, for that I'd need a transcoder. Would be nice to have for a soft-modded Wii.