Backlight mod for Gameboy Pocket?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm not really up to date on this, but I found a gameboy pocket at a thrift store (oddly enough a JP version) and it works/looks great. I was wondering what the best backlight mods are for it now a days?

fluxcore

Another Striker
Yep, I did a pocket with a HHL backlight. However, it didn't work with rechargable NiMHs at all. I had to mod in a camera battery+recharger circuit, now it works fantastically.

I still prefer backlit DMG though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Handheldlegend.com

Truth. Also, do the bivert mod.

Yep, I did a pocket with a HHL backlight. However, it didn't work with rechargable NiMHs at all. I had to mod in a camera battery+recharger circuit, now it works fantastically.

Mine worked fine with regular non-rechargeable batteries, but you need to have some good batteries to run the backlight + an Everdrive.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Oh yeah, I agree with the bivert. Makes an incredible difference with a DMG, and still definitely worthwhile on an MGB.

jskyboo

n00b
+1 to bivert mod. Definitely makes it easier to see. I can't speak for Handheldlegend, I think I got my backlight mod from backlight4you.com

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
What is this "daylight" thing you speak of? Sounds lame.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
For my next GBP mod, I wanna try out the kitch-bent SEPIC Board: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/sepic-board

this product is especially useful with backlight and frontlight kits as a means to better regulate power usage within the console. it gives an output of 4.29V @ 50mA; the components have been chosen to compliment our frontlight and backlight products. hookup is relatively easy: connect the console's switched battery power supply to Vin and you get a predictable Vout for your frontlight and backlight needs.

If you are looking to optimize the power usage within your console, this kit will greatly assist towards that goal.
The price is a bit hefty, but it sounds promising for optimizing the power and hopefully increase the battery usage times.