Warhammer 40K: Video Game Thread (GW took its head out of its ass?)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
After the lukewarm nature of Space Marine I'd feared we'd never see a 40K game again, outside of maybe Dawn of War 3 (Which...after DoW 2 wasn't exactly that promising) but it seems we're about to get hit by an onslaught of 40K games. I guess some more traditional wargame versions of the 40K having been coming out, most notably Slitherine's Warhammer 40k: Armageddon.

But I mean, praise the God Emperor:

40K: Eternal Crusade: 3rd person PvE and PvP (MMO?)
40K: Inquisitor - Martyr: an ARPG?

And I guess Dawn of War III.

Battlefleet Gothic just recently dropped as well and supposedly.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
GW head out of its ass? Never

I dont know how it still exists as a company.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
As a pretty big fan of the tabletop too (currently sucking at painting my Space Wolves faction) I actually really enjoyed Space Marine if only for a ps2 era esque gears clone. I found the voice acting pretty strong and the final boss battle fun (at least the lore was faithfully inserted by Relic, who does DoW so no surprise there).

Anyone else just as stoked for Death watch? Vermintide was fun if only for a more RPG Left 4 Dead and I'll take a godamn 40k version against Tyranids anyday.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
The Dawn of War games are some of my favorites and I cant wait for DOW3. Space Marine was really fun, the multiplayer was pretty cool too, lots of good ideas. I heard Battlefleet Gothic is good, but I am not sure its my type of game. They released a Eisenhorn game this week and its terrible :/ They used to be pretty protective of the IP on licensing games but the last few years they have just whored the shit out of it for video games.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
They use to protect it like federal reserve but now they delegate it to any two person dev team that asks. Did you see that weird pirate game concept for traditional warhammer? Thankfully Relic is till producing the goods, though I'm a bit wary what we've seen so far for DoW 3. Expected more after so long I suppose but its stilll early. The only reason I wound want to play that eisenhorn game is purely for the ability to interact with the eisenhorn fluff.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
GW has enough of my money for two lifetimes, I keep hearing how great that newer RTS title was but can't get sucked into any more 40k stuff...for now.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
I dont blame you it gets incredibly dense and pricey even after you're decently invested.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I used to have a weakness for Fire Warrior on PS2. I loved that game. It was SUPER AVERAGE, but I loved the Space Marine and Chaos Marine environments and the ability to inherit their weapons.

Bear in mind... I haven't played it since it came out that year.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
I'm starting to notice a huge drought of GW at gamestores in the Bay area at least. Berkley for example has ample board game shops but nothing in terms of kits, only codex's at best.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Apparently (maybe?) a game called Total War: Warhammer was/will be released. I can't find any info on that actually happening tho.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Total War: Warhammer came out and as far as I know it's pretty goood.

I wonder if RELIC has the lock on a 40K RTS...?

Warhammer 40K deserves to be a TOTAL WAR game.

Call it TOTAL WAR: ARMAGEDDON and have it be about the Battle for Armageddon. That shit would be so tight. I want to command legions of ancient war machines.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Total War: Warhammer came out and as far as I know it's pretty goood.

I wonder if RELIC has the lock on a 40K RTS...?

Warhammer 40K deserves to be a TOTAL WAR game.

Call it TOTAL WAR: ARMAGEDDON and have it be about the Battle for Armageddon. That shit would be so tight. I want to command legions of ancient war machines.

GW doesnt care about warhammer fantasy. In fact, it doesn't exist anymore. They will license that out to indie companies and take chances.

40k is the only thing keeping them going, so they are very strict with handing that out.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
I thought the opposite was true tbh but I guess I can see that in today's market. DnD pretty much occupies all fantasy for the ever withering niche.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
GW doesnt care about warhammer fantasy. In fact, it doesn't exist anymore. They will license that out to indie companies and take chances.

40k is the only thing keeping them going, so they are very strict with handing that out.

Wasn't the ruleset for fantasy just recently updayed for easier beginner entry into the game?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Wasn't the ruleset for fantasy just recently updayed for easier beginner entry into the game?

No, because Warhammer Fantasy completely doesn't exist anymore. They killed it, and all the models that people owned.
First they killed every speciality game in existence, and they finally decided to kill off Fantasy.

They replaced Fantasy with Age of Sigmar, which is essentially Space Marine looking Knights and Warriors.
The fluff is the Warhammer world was blown up, and these are the remnants...
.....Enjoy

The backlash was incredible. I'm really surprised you people didn't hear about it. People were burning their mini's and abandoning GW like crazy. GW is posting terrible revenue in 2016, and I dont see that improving.
Why buy something GW when there a good chance they wont support it? The fanbase for their speciality games is incredible, but the games are abandonded. Blood bowl is making a return, but will anyone care with Dreadball and Guildball on the scene? Warhammer Quest was relaunched, but again, why bother when everyone else is doing it better.

GW will hang on with it's 40k base and farming out it's IP to people who know what they are doing.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
Thats pretty hilarious.

I played some 40k for a bit but it was usually only casually amongst friends. I can imagine it being a terrible playing experience with a bunch of rule nazi's try harding.

As for the games. Space Marine was alright, but it definitely should have had a co-op campaign. It would've been perfect for it. The RTS games are alright but are kind of lacking in some aspects. Dawn of War: Dark Crusade was a really enjoyable campaign.

The lore of 40k is also really, really dumb. It would definitely benefit from a soft-reboot in my opinion, especially since they keep retconning things like Necrons.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
No, because Warhammer Fantasy completely doesn't exist anymore. They killed it, and all the models that people owned.
First they killed every speciality game in existence, and they finally decided to kill off Fantasy.

They replaced Fantasy with Age of Sigmar, which is essentially Space Marine looking Knights and Warriors.
The fluff is the Warhammer world was blown up, and these are the remnants...
.....Enjoy

The backlash was incredible. I'm really surprised you people didn't hear about it. People were burning their mini's and abandoning GW like crazy. GW is posting terrible revenue in 2016, and I dont see that improving.
Why buy something GW when there a good chance they wont support it? The fanbase for their speciality games is incredible, but the games are abandonded. Blood bowl is making a return, but will anyone care with Dreadball and Guildball on the scene? Warhammer Quest was relaunched, but again, why bother when everyone else is doing it better.

GW will hang on with it's 40k base and farming out it's IP to people who know what they are doing.

That's right, I forgot they changed it to the of sigmar. Didn't they nerf the ruleset with the name change? That's what I was thinking of.

Last edited: