Gamecube - Playing the ISOs, RGB, 240p, digital video and more!! Mega thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ok, so I have been talking to some peeps in chat and they have me convinced me my life won't be complete without a GC in my collection. I can honestly say I haven't owned one in probably 10 years or so. So unfortunately I haven't kept up with any developments in that scene.

Sooooo, I thought I would start this discussion thread for all hardware things Gamecube related.

I would like to know what are the options for playing the isos on the 'Cube. SD or USB loader? Music work?

What about RGB scart options? I know the US Cube doesn't have it and the PAL Cubes do. Can you play NTSC games on a PAL machine at the correct speed and get RGB output from the system? Is it 240p?

I am sure others probably have similar questions and comments. Lets hear 'em.

This thread is about doing all this stuff on a Gamecube if possible. So no "Just get a Wii".

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've heard something to the effect that a PAL cube is best because you can region mod it and use SCART. Sounds koll.

I just use a normal US cube with s-video. It gets the job done.

I use an SD -> memory card adapter and I can run isos with a pro action replay, but honestly so far I've just used it to run Gameboy Interface instead of the shit Gameboy Player startup disc.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This thread is relevant to my interests.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Just buy a Wii. Seriously though, talk to WestCB. He is a plethora of knowledge on this matter.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Everything you mentioned is easier and doable on a Wii.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
This thread is about doing all this stuff on a Gamecube if possible. So no "Just get a Wii".

I like how you specifically don't want to hear "just get a Wii", but that's pretty much the response people are giving you..... But they're right, it is easier to do this on a Wii. I'm pretty sure it's very easy to mod one to just burn games if nothing else, only a few wires to solder. I've heard about people soft modding a Wii as well, but I dunno how that's done.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sometimes you have to do something because it's awesome, not because it's easy or makes any sense.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just get a wii.

If you have to ask why, then you shouldn't be asking in the first place.

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Sometimes you have to do something because it's awesome, not because it's easy or makes any sense.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GC and would never get rid of it. But if a Wii does everything a Game Cube does and more, it's just silly to be stubborn and try to stick with a GC. Just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Don't get me wrong, I love my GC and would never get rid of it. But if a Wii does everything a Game Cube does and more, it's just silly to be stubborn and try to stick with a GC. Just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

GC still plays GBA/GBC/GB games better.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Dolphin emulator upscaled to 1080p if you want to see these games at best quality. You'd be amazed.

Real hardware, I've just used the component cable option.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Dolphin is bad ass. Now I would argue this wasn't the preferred choice over a Wii until the smash usb GC adapters came out.

Now either Wii or Dolphin is the best weapon for this war.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Most are trying to get the slight (and I mean slight) bump in quality that the cube offers over the Wii. It won't effect the gameplay, but the ability to take photos of the pvm with a crappy cellphone camera. Others are trying to display gba games in 240p. That I can somewhat understand...but not at the cost of what it takes to get the gamecube up and running.

From what I gather you'll need:

-PAL Gamecube (Let's be cheap and say $60. It will probably be more like $100 after shipping since none of the PAL gamecube on eBay are actually PAL, and you're going to need to get one from Europe.)
-Modchip ($10-$15)
-GBA player without the disc ($10-$15) optional
-US Cube AC adapter ($10-$15)
-Scart Cable ($15 for a good one)
-Blank mini DVDs ($20)

So let's say on the low side of things...$150. That's not counting the additional scaler(?) that West needed to use to get it to sync to the BVM. If you're not planning on taking screenshots to flood here, and just want to play iso images, a $40 softmodded wii will play them from a $15 flash drive. You'll also need a $10 cube controller.

Last edited:

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Gamecube was meant to be played on a CRT TV.

Fuck GC emulators for that reason alone.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ok...so A. I'm lazy and B. I don't follow the world of hacked older systems.

I have a GC, with the component cables, and a nice shape Wavebird...and even the GBA player.

Can someone fill me in as to how the thing can e hacked?

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Yodd, I'm of the belief the Gamecube can be skipped. There's some fun games on it yes, but the worthwhile titles were very limited. It's not worth investing $150 minimum just to play even burned copies.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Ok...so A. I'm lazy and B. I don't follow the world of hacked older systems.

I have a GC, with the component cables, and a nice shape Wavebird...and even the GBA player.

Can someone fill me in as to how the thing can e hacked?

Solder in a mod chip.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Question: Is it cheaper and/or easier to buy a GC with a GB player, or a SNES and a SGB?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
component GC cable big difference from Wii component? I mean $200 difference?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Gamecube
Pros:
Is a Cubelike shape
Neat handle.
Has Wavebird
Game boy Player
Mini DVDs are cute
Has a drive emulator.
Small footprint.
Comes in purple.

Cons:
No RGB on NTSC models
NTSC Component Cable is balls expensive.
Wavebird has delay
GB player requires expensive disc or installation of cheap mods and burned mini-DVD.

Wii:
Pros
Is probably cheaper to get off the ground.
Component cables are cheap and plentiful.
Can play wii games AND gamecube games.
Can load both off an external Hard Drive via USB with softmods.
Has an even smaller footprint with the vertical stand
Virtual Console rom injection.
Remote can double as deadly projectile

Cons
Requires waggle to use the main menu.
No game boy player!
Is not quite a cube. Disgusting 3D Rectangle.
No carry handle!
Does not come in purple!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does a Wavebird really have a delay? I've never noticed it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Question: Is it cheaper and/or easier to buy a GC with a GB player, or a SNES and a SGB?

Few things:
-Get the Super Game Boy 2 over the Super Game Boy. Has a link cable port and fixes a timing issue for 100% perfect gameplay. Only came out in Japan but worth it
-Gamecubes are much cheaper than Super Nintendos, but Super Game Boys are cheaper than Game Boy Players. Pick your poison. Both are equally easy
-Because the refresh rates between the GBA and GC are stlighly different, Game Boy Player drops frames every now and again which can cause noticeable stutter in action games. Not too bad in RPGs. The homebrew startup discs can fix this issue but a stock Game Boy Player will not be as accurate or good as a Super Game Boy 2
-Super Game Boys can only play Game Boy games (and Color games with backwards compatibility). No Color-only titles and obviously no Advance.
-As has been said, it's a bitch to get Gamecube component cables or mod a foreign system for SCART. I just settled on S-Video myself.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you have a classic pad plugged into a Wii remote, the menu required no waggle. You can also play the gamecube games with it.