NEOGEO 161 IN 1 - NEWER VERSION? GadgetUK164

Broomfield

New Challenger
That's fine! Looks nice and tidy!

Great thanks for your help GadgetUK :) Just waiting for the other caps to arrive, once installed I'll let you know how the cart performs :)

In the meantime I'm working on some new MVS shock box art for the 161 in 1 cart. I'll get some previews on here soon :)

Broomfield

New Challenger
Just thought I would put an update for everyone, I can confirm that doing Gadgetuk's mods and adding the capacitors to the board the 161 is playing very well and everything seems quite solid.

i can also confirm that games there were mentioned previously as not working correctly on peoples 161 carts or games having incorrect music work fine, "World heroes" for example and "world heroes 2" work fine and have the correct music. So it looks like they updated this cart abit. I'm still doing some more solid testing on this cart, I will update with anymore info.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Very interesting! I am now curious as to whether they fixed the sprite issues on Sam Shodown, or the intro music on the KoF game - I forget which one now - KoF 95 I think (was missing radio chat over the intro). Please post a link to where you bought it as well - wouldn't mind picking up one of these as I wanted a spare 161 in 1.

Broomfield

New Challenger
Very interesting! I am now curious as to whether they fixed the sprite issues on Sam Shodown, or the intro music on the KoF game - I forget which one now - KoF 95 I think (was missing radio chat over the intro). Please post a link to where you bought it as well - wouldn't mind picking up one of these as I wanted a spare 161 in 1.

Hi GadgetUK, I have tested the cart further and noticed that the fault with the sound in KOF95 is still there, also I noticed that the sound problem effects the game aswell, There is missing sound/music instruments on the KOF 95 "factory stage" the music is missing the "saxophone" type sound effects in the music (Try it on yours and compare it to the real thing). Also I noticed that the samurai showdown graphics glitch is still present, so it looks like they havent fixed that game at all. The only ones I have noticed so far that are improved is the "World Heroes" games, they fixed the music in those 2 games. Its strange that they would go back and fix the world heroes games but not fix the versions of samurai showdown or kof 95 at the same time.

Also the place I got my cart from is from this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SNK-...2548228808.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.56.V7wGDX

If you do pick one of these up, please make a video on it as I would love to see that. Maybe you can tweak it further and improve it? because as it seems maybe this version is the best version of the "161 in 1" so far released.

Last edited:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I recently got one of the "new version" 161 carts. The surface mount caps are all 47uF. Are we certain that the missing ones should be replaced with 0.1uF (100nF)? Seems like they should all be 47uF.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
It should handle like a normal arcade cabinet. As you fire up each game it will remember the settings from the last 8, then lose them as more roll through.

If you have a uninios the settings for all games will be persistent as Razoola has found a way to save the settings for all the games in the spare space on the unibios. Razoola and I have confirmed this in an earlier thread from this year.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
There is also another newer version of the 161in1 PCB. I cannot remember who gave me these photos but here they are.

161in1-1.jpg

161in1-2.jpg

auberwn

n00b
I just got this last board Razoola posted above. I'm trying to figure out if it also requires any fixes. There is no room for a regulator so I think only the two 47pF ceramic capacitors might be good to add - somewhere near the chip labeled PCM2 perhaps.

Has anyone figured out since they're doing all this new versions why don't they also add some games? Is it a capacity thing? Why don't they get rid of the hacks? Are those like just extra "configurations" on top of the non modified games which don't take up space?

Last edited:

auberwn

n00b
Thanks Razoola! It was exactly what I was looking for. The second video has all the fixes to the new version of the 161in1 with the BGA chips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcz9WvOQZMg

I also read the whole thread and I have to express my admiration for your work. That's amazing stuff and I'm looking forward to the new version of the Unibios.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
There has been an issue found with these rev2 161in1 which affects stability (esp on multislots), info and fix will be posted soon.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It is with a big thanks to 'ack' that this issue was found and fixed. To cut a long story short, ack donated me a 4SLOT in relation to fixing issues in PICKnMIX on multislot hardware. Once I got the MVS I could not get my 161-in-1 working correctly with it. Yet for ack it was working fine. Only difference was ack had 161-in-1 ver 1 and I had a ver2.

During my tests trying to discover the issue I discovered that trying to view the 0x200000 region with the unibios memory viewer would cause a system crash. With no idea when was going on ack looked over the PCBs in a last ditch effect to spot something.... And he did!!!

He discovered the following.

VERSION 1 PROG BOARD SOLDER SIDE
161in1-rev1.jpg

VERSION 2 PROG BOARD SOLDER SIDE
161in1-rev2.jpg

As you can see clearly from the pictures above on the first version the pins are bridged and on the 2nd they are not.

He decided to bridge the pins to see if it helped... and BINGO.... It solved the problem.

VERSION 2 PROG BOARD SOLDER SIDE APPLIED FIX
161in1-rev2fix.jpg

In short.... If you have a version 2 161-in-1 I would advise applying this fix. It will for sure help on a multislot MVS but it might also help in other situations also on single slotters.

We also think at the moment it might be possible to tell which version you have by looking at the label, it seems (from the ones we have at least), if the edges of the cart label are square its version 1, if they are rounded its version 2.

I will make a seperate post with all this info also.

Raz

Mago

n00b
Hello, is possible fix the graphic glitches in samurai shodown in the 161 In 1 version 2?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't know what graphic glitches there are but if its related to the programming of the devices then probbly not until somone works out how to reprogram them and the format used.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Hello, is possible fix the graphic glitches in samurai shodown in the 161 In 1 version 2?

I had a faulty 161 in 1 where also on many games I got graphic glitches (Last blade, etc.)
This is probably due to broken ROM Chips (as they use used ones from Pachinko Machines in my revision).

I ordered another one from another supplier and now all games seem to work for me.
It's a gamble..

ssjn

n00b
I just picked up a banana cart off ebay. It has the blue bordered sticker with square corners, but the Rev 2 boards inside- so there goes that possible revision identifier. Unlike the one pictured above, it has real connections on both sides of the ribbon. No hot glue on here. Does that make it a Rev 2.1? :)

here's a pic:
image0.jpg

Last edited:

lufeig

n00b
I just picked up a banana cart off ebay. It has the blue bordered sticker with square corners, but the Rev 2 boards inside- so there goes that possible revision identifier. Unlike the one pictured above, it has real connections on both sides of the ribbon. No hot glue on here. Does that make it a Rev 2.1? :)

here's a pic:
View attachment 54087

i got one of those too.

it comes with all caps populated, even c3, which some people related to cause tiny sound. i removed mine.

it comes with "stability mod' already applied on the pcb, no need to do it manually.

Spoiler:
IMG_20190907_021357.jpg

but puzzle bobble 1 still has some crackling sound effects. sometimes, all sound becomes almost mute. don't know if it has a fix.