Fatal Fury Special Boot - replaced game?

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just picked up Fatal Fury Special, I was really looking forward to playing this over the weekend and thought I grabbed a real steal on it. Sadly I don't think it's even Fatal Fury Special, the EPROMS are in the wrong place. So a dirty boot indeed but a boot of what? The cart obviously isn't the game I paid for and since its filthy I can't see me spending any time to clean it before attempting to test it out.

Is Fatal Fury Special a common donor for other games? I should be able to return it for a refund as it was from a UK retro game web store.

y3mbvR1mcdjTzMsFftby43vD_tv8Y-PGVZP3FRgd1BDPkQ8gCjDu8K2K2ZqSDBH970OwKh49_OPQOBCbJeM-itTbJopyhb0UN7pQvrUBa9pAhB_h3MSowacgV-CgHRu6kOGYK6aevMvROsDTVDKOJsbaWO9uOKcX6YVdIx6ZUzAdY4

y3mlnNUIzo7PO7dGwdzXASXh6_Qsl3a2p4X3ZQlR-6wO2ianhPMSo6JFKGyIwZkgh-Fb9-9OKTi9zMY2ENouzR-usXJGasIsI4VTVysm-YpfhF9iT3c4yr3z0lAuAEVXEHbSYGDM5BJm0Xefko06FXEEFnXJMoa318B4IIpeT0PdVY

y3m1DQZfqWjiP40vfTgpII2b6gSqxoOdQxof1V9Ys2oKP7xBaPuyL0G_btcEdSaI18IQVFTXjWlMHzTCGoX9XAL2m2ek_DtijiUQtNK4gP1uh3kghwKTWKmDZIV4HwRHmy9JmozPAwVKNCinRCIen2OMKQRaVnb5Una_Old-NN8Ynw

y3mWEJ0HEqWord-2Qy33JYvf-nny0EYQEISmnD6-9Q91u6npBXja66I6JGP8fIcUJsEkl8XcNs8XcQ4idl0LWTmugmiuAla-eyn5MWlB0YE8RgReBFdo6isKH1Ew4tKqF7QP2pesTQriqwEhlALZmKiYWc9esgKY33pmat_5yh8z64

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Fatal_Fury_Special

What do you think, worth the time to clean the pins and give it a whirl?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
058 is the number for FFS, so it could be a repair performed by someone rather than an outright boot of another game.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Lol @ those stickers. Damn man, they couldn't even cut them to fit?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Lol @ those stickers. Damn man, they couldn't even cut them to fit?

Seriously. They can solder in roms but don't have electrical tape or something better to cover the windows?

Anyway OP, I'd clean the contacts and give it a go.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Seriously. They can solder in roms but don't have electrical tape or something better to cover the windows?

Anyway OP, I'd clean the contacts and give it a go.

Yeah my curiosity is getting the better of me, I'll test it out tomorrow after work. Either way it's being returned as I'll not have my set of MVS carts stained by a dirty boot. I was playing this on an emulator for the last few weeks and was really looking forward to the real deal, the hunt continues I guess. I got Samurai Showdown 2 at the same time (different seller) so hopefully that one will be ok and keep me busy this weekend. I'll post back with what game this FFS turned out to be once I clean it up and test it out.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I mean it looks a bit "booty" but quite frankly it's on SNK PCBs and has mostly legit MASK roms. If it works fine I'd have no problem leaving it in my own collection to be honest.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Ok so I gave the contacts a clean with IPA and gave the shell a quick once over so my CMVS doesn't get contaminated with the filth from the cart. The game appears to work and is indeed Fatal Fury Special. So this must be an operator repair job. The contacts are pretty badly worn however and I've only tested the game for 5 minutes so I'm unsure it is 100% perfect but attract mode seems fine so far. I'm on the fence whether to return it or not, I would like one that was in cleaner/original shape. Fantastic game in any case!

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That game is 100% original.The only replacement parts are the m1 & s1 chips. Those big 058 chips are the last batch of official proms produced at factory.
BB

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
As BB said: repaired original game. Look on the back. Are the ROMs factory soldered? Is there a mix? If you have UniBios, show us the CRC check screen.

Last edited:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi again guys,

Thanks for all the advice, the solder job on the back looks good, factory I would say but it's so strange about the bit of paper suck over the replacement chips on the second board. The cart slot connector pins are in pretty bad shape though, in need of a proper restore. I was in two minds about keeping but as I'm going away this weekend I haven't much time to mess about with it so I sent it back to the online retailer today and will try and pick up another copy in the future. I should of done the CRC check on the unibios to check but it was late and slipped my mind.

On the plus side the Sam Sho 2 I got is in tip-top shape, dam hard game though but great none the less!

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Thats a shame, FFS is tons of fun. How much did you pick it up for if you dont mind me asking?

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thats a shame, FFS is tons of fun. How much did you pick it up for if you dont mind me asking?

No worries, it was only £19.99 so $26.14 USD. I'm starting to think maybe I should have just stuck with it because its less than half the going eBay price from what I've seen but I don't really have the time (organising my wedding) to refurbish it at the moment.

http://gamesworldbodmin.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_33&products_id=4218

I hope that helps :)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That isn't a boot. Someone just did a bad job of covering some EPROMs.

Last edited: