Thread: Fatal Fury Special Boot - replaced game?

Mr. Big's Thug

Fatal Fury Special Boot - replaced game?

I just picked up Fatal Fury Special, I was really looking forward to playing this over the weekend and thought I grabbed a real steal on it. Sadly I don't think it's even Fatal Fury Special, the EPROMS are in the wrong place. So a dirty boot indeed but a boot of what? The cart obviously isn't the game I paid for and since its filthy I can't see me spending any time to clean it before attempting to test it out.

Is Fatal Fury Special a common donor for other games? I should be able to return it for a refund as it was from a UK retro game web store.

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Fatal_Fury_Special

What do you think, worth the time to clean the pins and give it a whirl?

Raiden's Valet

058 is the number for FFS, so it could be a repair performed by someone rather than an outright boot of another game.
    My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Lol @ those stickers. Damn man, they couldn't even cut them to fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

Kyokugen's Student

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Lol @ those stickers. Damn man, they couldn't even cut them to fit?
    Seriously. They can solder in roms but don't have electrical tape or something better to cover the windows?

Anyway OP, I'd clean the contacts and give it a go.

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    Seriously. They can solder in roms but don't have electrical tape or something better to cover the windows?

Anyway OP, I'd clean the contacts and give it a go.
    Yeah my curiosity is getting the better of me, I'll test it out tomorrow after work. Either way it's being returned as I'll not have my set of MVS carts stained by a dirty boot. I was playing this on an emulator for the last few weeks and was really looking forward to the real deal, the hunt continues I guess. I got Samurai Showdown 2 at the same time (different seller) so hopefully that one will be ok and keep me busy this weekend. I'll post back with what game this FFS turned out to be once I clean it up and test it out.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Kyokugen's Student

I mean it looks a bit "booty" but quite frankly it's on SNK PCBs and has mostly legit MASK roms. If it works fine I'd have no problem leaving it in my own collection to be honest.

Neo*Geomancer

I dont think I've ever seen a FFS bootleg.

Mr. Big's Thug

Ok so I gave the contacts a clean with IPA and gave the shell a quick once over so my CMVS doesn't get contaminated with the filth from the cart. The game appears to work and is indeed Fatal Fury Special. So this must be an operator repair job. The contacts are pretty badly worn however and I've only tested the game for 5 minutes so I'm unsure it is 100% perfect but attract mode seems fine so far. I'm on the fence whether to return it or not, I would like one that was in cleaner/original shape. Fantastic game in any case!
    Last edited by Larrs888; 08-03-2016 at 06:26 PM.

SHOCKbox Developer
    That game is 100% original.The only replacement parts are the m1 & s1 chips. Those big 058 chips are the last batch of official proms produced at factory.
    BB
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.

As BB said: repaired original game. Look on the back. Are the ROMs factory soldered? Is there a mix? If you have UniBios, show us the CRC check screen.
    Last edited by wyo; 08-03-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    Neo Geo AES #011035 #036442 | Neo Geo CD #0002814 #0015959 | MVS Executive | Razion 1cc Club President | NG.com Top Trader
    ATTN NOOBS: Jamma Nation X makes the best CMVS & Superguns, PERIOD! | Unofficial MVS and AES Price Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKSOUL View Post
    I ask a complete account removal extraction

I ask the deletion authorized by Neo Geo Admin Judge Dredd.

Thanks a lot.

Crossed Swords Squire

Does it correspond to the 2nd revision of the game?

Mr. Big's Thug

Hi again guys,

Thanks for all the advice, the solder job on the back looks good, factory I would say but it's so strange about the bit of paper suck over the replacement chips on the second board. The cart slot connector pins are in pretty bad shape though, in need of a proper restore. I was in two minds about keeping but as I'm going away this weekend I haven't much time to mess about with it so I sent it back to the online retailer today and will try and pick up another copy in the future. I should of done the CRC check on the unibios to check but it was late and slipped my mind.

On the plus side the Sam Sho 2 I got is in tip-top shape, dam hard game though but great none the less!

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

Thats a shame, FFS is tons of fun. How much did you pick it up for if you dont mind me asking?
    ***CLICK HERE FOR FIGHTCADE TUTORIAL***

TWITTER: MountainDewFKR
    PSN: MountainDewFKR
    FIGHTCADE: MountaindewFKR

GAMER > COLLECTOR

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by AJtheMishima View Post
    Thats a shame, FFS is tons of fun. How much did you pick it up for if you dont mind me asking?
    No worries, it was only £19.99 so $26.14 USD. I'm starting to think maybe I should have just stuck with it because its less than half the going eBay price from what I've seen but I don't really have the time (organising my wedding) to refurbish it at the moment.

http://gamesworldbodmin.co.uk/index....oducts_id=4218

I hope that helps

That isn't a boot. Someone just did a bad job of covering some EPROMs.
    Last edited by Neo Alec; 08-20-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Thread Information