NEOGEO Land ...

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
There are various ways things could be done. For example it could be made as a converter type device. IE sits between the NeoGeo system and 161in1 (or other multicart). You'll be limited to the games on the multicart though and what ever bugs come with that.

Well if you are going to go that route, what about a retrode type interface that simply dumps the carts you already own into the onbaord storage. That way you can only play what you legitimately own. The device could then be marketed s a device that gives multi-slot capability to one-slot owners.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Its just ideas RevQuixo. As it is in the proof of concept its a single multicart.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Its just ideas RevQuixo. As it is in the proof of concept its a single multicart.

Oh I know it is all pipe dreams at this point but it seems like it would be a shame to have it piggyback off of a 161-1 when it has the potential to play everything properly.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
There are various ways things could be done. For example it could be made as a converter type device. IE sits between the NeoGeo system and 161in1 (or other multicart). You'll be limited to the games on the multicart though and what ever bugs come with that.

Sorry I don't get the point of having such device?

Isn't your solution main differentiator, being able to play the "cleanest" romset available?

Ideally, a "blank" cart where the user could put their own flash (not talking about SDs or similar storage media...rather separately programming the flash, to avoid the IP infringment issue)

Anyway, thanks for your work, it is really interesting following this project!

Last edited:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Sorry I don't get the point of having such device?

Isn't your solution main differentiator, being able to play the "cleanest" romset available?

Ideally, a "blank" cart where the user could put their own flash (not talking about SDs or similar storage media...rather separately programming the flash, to avoid the IP infringment issue)

Anyway, thanks for your work, it is really interesting following this project!

Mass, why not SD card... would that not be the simplest media for the end user, like the Everdrives..?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
SD cards aren't all that fast, sure quite a few of the NG games are in the fairly small side when you look at something like Magician Lord or 8man, but then you get into the Gigaspec stuff or things getting near that, and that would just suck watching a minute or two or three long loading screen. I'm sure a good many wouldn't mind for the ease of it all and quality device but a lot more would just be put off by it making it a harder product to push. Having them all on boards/chips like a legit project like those new games that pop up every year or two would eliminate that but obviously would cost a good deal more too. If you're going to go the SD route you're better off trying to make your own everdrive.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
SD cards aren't all that fast, sure quite a few of the NG games are in the fairly small side when you look at something like Magician Lord or 8man, but then you get into the Gigaspec stuff or things getting near that, and that would just suck watching a minute or two or three long loading screen. I'm sure a good many wouldn't mind for the ease of it all and quality device but a lot more would just be put off by it making it a harder product to push. Having them all on boards/chips like a legit project like those new games that pop up every year or two would eliminate that but obviously would cost a good deal more too. If you're going to go the SD route you're better off trying to make your own everdrive.

Seconded. Perhaps an external USB port that would allow flashing of some fast SRAM or something like that?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Seconded. Perhaps an external USB port that would allow flashing of some fast SRAM or something like that?

Yes that would be I guess expensive but damn cool...something like the supereverdrive but with flash for a whole romset..?

...given the relatively well-known content (read: no need to add games in the future) , maybe it would be cheaper having the user burning the flash write-once chips autonomusly (i.e. chinese sites,) and simply put them in the empty socket in the cart....that way there is no need for the re-writable flash... (of course, dealing with corrupted flash from the chinese company is another discussion...)

Rcantor, "switching" between flash banks already written allows to jump from game to game immediately, an SD-like storage would force to write a game at time to such flash (I'm simplifying) with long waiting time and limited choice, like few games at once.

In short, the multi-cart concept requires the games to be selectable and playable (SRAM/flash), while everdrive allows to load (from SD) a game at once...like a copier back in the times... problem is for neogeo it would take tenth of minutes for bigger games....I personally like instead the "MVS-1" concept as envisioned by Raz.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I continue to be utterly amazed by your work Raz. It is almost incredible all this can be done with a single cart and clean roms, awesome.

How the games get onto the cart is a hardware matter I believe?
[It wouldn't be a deal breaker to have the users load the romset onto the PCBs (via USB or a custom loader device/cable/whatever) once, even if it took multiple hours...]

Now to figure out how we can bribe Kurtz or NTM to look at the hardware side of things...

Marek

Banned
Just a thought here raz.

I haven't bought neo hardware since 2008, but if this comes to pass in will buy one 100%.

My point is that way more people than anyone would assume ARE going to buy one of these, if you pull it off.

P.s. Turfy pls

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK OK....

I am not speaking for Raz here... but I am doing my utmost to see that we can do this...

Strong' arming Raz is hard tho... seeing as he's a friend...

The Options are being looked at... and I'm sure Raz will keep us updated... this one is gonna take a bit of time...

xROTx

PS. It's not like Raz is aiming for an ordinary multicart... its the ULTIMATE multi-cart....

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
OK OK....

I am not speaking for Raz here... but I am doing my utmost to see that we can do this...

Strong' arming Raz is hard tho... seeing as he's a friend...

The Options are being looked at... and I'm sure Raz will keep us updated... this one is gonna take a bit of time...

xROTx

PS. It's not like Raz is aiming for an ordinary multicart... its the ULTIMATE multi-cart....

Good things come to those who wait. No hyperbole here in stating that this would easily the best thing to happen to the Neo community since the UniBIOS. I, of course, say that with no disrespect to the great work and contributions of others here and elsewhere throughout the years.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
You know, Raz, what would be totally cool, is if you made C.P.S. Land to go with NEO-GEO Land. :glee: :glee:

... as I can spend the time doing other things.

Just think about it.

That's gotta be at least a double mint.

Last edited:

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
Will someone fucking help this man make NGL become a reality??

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Amazing work Raz. Do you man. If it comes to be an actual product great. If you partner with someone great. If not, great. Just putting the knowledge and work out there for everyone to witness is good enough.

hokuto29

n00b
Whatever we can do just ask Raz,you are a hero for the Neo community,please make this real mate!!!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Apologies for the necro bump, but I've been curious.

Now that the NeoSD, NeoSD Pro, and Darksoft's (shit) cart have been released, are there still any plans regarding this concept cart?

As great as the NeoSD carts are, I'm still keen to have a "every legit game released that instantly loads a la 1XX in 1 style carts" cart.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
This would of been better than anything on the market then or currently