NEOGEO Land ...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Raz is the man, i think my jaw was on the floor the whole time watching that video

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm in awe 100% - Raz, this is magnificent.

I sincerely hope more comes of this... please post up if there is anything the community can help with (like put together a fund for protos).

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The Rolls-Royce of consoles gets his Rolls-Royce of multicarts? The vision so far is brilliant.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
would be awesome if it becomes reality. But wouldnt it be complicated? i always thought there are some games like Metal Slug X who use a special chip to render some visuals, wouldnt you need extra hardware for some games? clear me up.

Last edited:

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Seeing some of the things Raz has already done I would not at all be supersized to hear that he's aware of problems like this. There's always bound to be a handful of a games on any platform that do some things differently. If there is a way my money says Raz will find it.
Besides, I'd rather have a flash cart with many official Neo Geo games and missing some rather than a complete set which is polluted with additional ROM hack games.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
No games on the Neo a are using extra hardware on the cartridges to expand processing power. What got added towards the end related to copy protection/encryption. I suspect that however Raz chooses to deal with this challenge is probably going to be more interesting than settling for unprotected ROMs!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
No games on the Neo a are using extra hardware on the cartridges to expand processing power. What got added towards the end related to copy protection/encryption. I suspect that however Raz chooses to deal with this challenge is probably going to be more interesting than settling for unprotected ROMs!

While close that is not totally accurate. Most was protection related, there are a few things they did to add extra power also. The challenge of those protections I faced over 15 years ago when I reversed engineered to allow emulation. For me it was more of a challenge to get a single slot to be a multislot with only one cart and no Neo hardware modification.

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Another idea if it hasn't been mentioned yet. How about a full jukebox menu built into the cart? Would be cool to make and save playlists of your favorite tracks across the entire library.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'd also love a feature to turn the background music off/on (while keeping the sound effects) - some tunes get old fast. But I guess it would be tedious (if not impossible) work to find out all the addresses and timings...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
A global jukebox would be possible but turning off music while still keeping soundfx would require game hacking for each game.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
While close that is not totally accurate. Most was protection related, there are a few things they did to add extra power also. The challenge of those protections I faced over 15 years ago when I reversed engineered to allow emulation. For me it was more of a challenge to get a single slot to be a multislot with only one cart and no Neo hardware modification.

I stand corrected. What was the example? I am fascinated by this kind of expansion. The concept is still relatively new to me, but I've pored over (and greatly enjoyed) all kinds of reading describing this on NES & SNES. Interesting comment on the relatively difficulty of what you've achieved! It definitely shows that you are both excited and proud about being able to get this piece up and running. :D

The Jukebox discussion makes me wonder if your design would allow for software upgrades. You never know what might be possible later as the work continues to build upon its foundation.

BTW, for anyone looking for a practical kind of jukebox now, I can't speak highly enough of modizer on iOS + Neo Geo VGMs from vgmrips.net. Very easy to playlist favorite tracks, and the playback is pretty damn faithful!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
This is not the tread for this kind of discussion but a quick example would be the increase in storage for tiles from 128k to 512k

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
He hasn't even announced that the is going to be a product yet, this is a proof of concept.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
This is not the tread for this kind of discussion but a quick example would be the increase in storage for tiles from 128k to 512k

How do you address this extra bit of complexity in your design? Always offer 512k (or more?) should a game need it?

poponon

War Room Troll
this looks pretty cool but what is the purpose? Right now it just seems like an elaborate "fuck you" or "look what i can do" to darksoft and co

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
this looks pretty cool but what is the purpose? Right now it just seems like an elaborate "fuck you" or "look what i can do" to darksoft and co

I like you.. so i'm gonna stick you in the war room... 2 weeks....

xROTx

PS. OK OK... I lied... could be longer... MUCH LONGER!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

winnersmiley.gif

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

4 posts in 2 and a half years...

...Tries to create another account so he can login to the forum because he has SO MUCH to say...

xROTx

PS. I'm in a relativly good mood... hence, I didn't ban you Poponon...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Alright that video makes me want to throw my 161 in 1 into the bin. I want.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
A thread worthy of me breaking my long inactivity slumber, you have certainly piqued this old mans interest Raz!