NEOGEO Land ...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
This would easily be the best thing to happen to the Neo-Geo since the UniBIOS, if not even better than that.

I really, really, really, really, really hope this becomes a reality. Seems like it would be a much better product than what Darksoft is working on.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Needs ROMhacks, even if they're in a separate section of the menu. I really want KOF 10th Anniversary in its most vanilla form without all the weirdness that was further hacked into it in later versions. Or that KOF2002 hack that people were talking about in that other topic.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Those can already be had on the 161-1, so you'd be covered there. Not opposed to them being there as long as they're not in the main legit game list, or would prevent other games from appearing or working right.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
That's got to be the best custom menu I've ever seen for a product of this kind by a country mile! Wish you all the best in developing this to whatever it might become, it is truly beautiful work! It might not be tomorrow, but one day the Neo will finally get the multi-cart it deserves.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I like what you did with the main menu. It's nice to see something with a little effort put in for aesthetics rather then the typical black screen with laundry list.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Those can already be had on the 161-1, so you'd be covered there. Not opposed to them being there as long as they're not in the main legit game list, or would prevent other games from appearing or working right.

It seems to me all of the versions on the 161 in 1 have some sort of quirk to them that I don't find on the most vanilla version available on the MAME I use.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Love the custom menu and the features sound amazing. Big time game changer.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
this is something i could own and not feel ashamed of. great work!

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Razoola, it looks simply superb, even at a test stage. I'm determined to rebuild the AES collection I once had somehow, but to have a multicart that would let me play the games which will be the hardest to work deals on in the mean time, on original AES hardware, would simply be epic. Hoping something comes of it, and count me in.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Very nice. Glad you decided to share it with the community even if it's because the information was leaked.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Looks fantastic. Love that it has mult-slot support, and such smooth functionality between games. Perfect multicart. If this happens, you've got my support!

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Looks great. As you stated you don't want to report on a current state/progress, perhaps you could give a short statement to where you see the main problems of a multicart?
*) Would games on a multicart have to be "preloaded" and not sd based - so would it therefore be a legal problem to sell them? (as I understand the thing with everdrives is that they allow you to play your "backups" - so the player is also the owner of the games)
*) Is the main challenge in doing a multicart "the menu"? (which looks absolutely great by the way - very nice) - if not, what is the main challenge?

awesome stuff as always, thx for sharing the video

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The main limitations of previous multicarts has been discussed before, though some are better than others they all have problems compared to what is possible. Most come from the makers lack of knowledge of the NeoGeo and programming experiance. There goal is simply to play the games rather than making the best experiance for the user. The problems with them all stem from this. The user of multicarts are gamers afterall so the UI should reflect the style of games expected to be played and done in a way to make it as easy as possible for the user to setup.

The tech demo video works of the premis that all games are preloaded in flash. As the video says, nothing was patched (bios or games) to get the demo working as you see it. There would indeed be a legal situation if games were not licenced first, the same that goes for all multicarts/flashcarts on any system.

The UI menu is actually the simple part. The hard part is getting the games and all possible bios to work together. This is the impressive part of the video for me esp as no manual patching was needed. The demo works with a standard AES or MVS bios and any unibios version. The only draw back is the credit handling over menus is disabled with AES or unreconigsed bios. Getting it to work like a Multislot is what I love about it. In effect this a NeoGeo hadware upgrade and not just about games. It upgrades a NeoGeo single slot (and AES) into a NeoGeo multislot. It also removes the 8 game storage limit which is an issue with all current multicarts etc as it degrades from the experiance.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
You have my attention, and My future money. You are definitely the right guy for the job in regards to the know-how with the hardware.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
The main limitations of previous multicarts has been discussed before, though some are better than others they all have problems compared to what is possible. Most come from the makers lack of knowledge of the NeoGeo and programming experiance. There goal is simply to play the games rather than making the best experiance for the user. The problems with them all stem from this. The user of multicarts are gamers afterall so the UI should reflect the style of games expected to be played and done in a way to make it as easy as possible for the user to setup.

The tech demo video works of the premis that all games are preloaded in flash. As the video says, nothing was patched (bios or games) to get the demo working as you see it. There would indeed be a legal situation if games were not licenced first, the same that goes for all multicarts/flashcarts on any system.

The UI menu is actually the simple part. The hard part is getting the games and all possible bios to work together. This is the impressive part of the video for me esp as no manual patching was needed. The demo works with a standard AES or MVS bios and any unibios version. The only draw back is the credit handling over menus is disabled with AES or unreconigsed bios. Getting it to work like a Multislot is what I love about it. In effect this a NeoGeo hadware upgrade and not just about games. It upgrades a NeoGeo single slot (and AES) into a NeoGeo multislot. It also removes the 8 game storage limit which is an issue with all current multislots as it degrades from the experiance.

great insight, thank you

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Wow, very impressive!
The pixel art looks great and I like the details like the font size change of the selected game title, the gorgeous sprite shrinking effect in the background, the color palettes fade to black after game selection and the color change of Mai's dress if the UI color is changed. As always, that is quality work Razoola - looking forward to see the hardware part ;)

Last edited:

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
I would really really really want this to become a reality!! You got the skills for sure!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
FUCK DARKSOFT and his vagina licking bitches... I told them at the time to play ball... and co-operate...

**Puts on Darksoft voice... "NO... we are young... FULL of talent and ideas... we're the BEST!"

Well... NO, you guys are a small cog in a massive machine and the people who can... well.. they DO!

xROTx

PS. I'm feeling a bit pissed off with the world atm... so I have no fuckin' sympathy for "Immature gaming Children"...