One year since I got over my addiction....

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Good work man. Identifying and battling your addiction is huge victory. Glad to hear you're enjoying lift 10 fold now.

Keep fighting the good fight. If you struggle don't hesitate to ask for support from the forum.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I'M OUTTA LUCK
I'M OUTTA LOVE
GOT A PHOTOGRAPH, PICTURE OF
PASSION KILLER YOU'RE TOO MUCH
YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE I WANNA TOUUCHHH

Sylvie's got good taste in music.:buttrock:

Jon

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Spoiler:
71eccdee8fba8d1192c9cf3bbf8edf29.jpg

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Good work man. Identifying and battling your addiction is huge victory. Glad to hear you're enjoying lift 10 fold now.

Keep fighting the good fight. If you struggle don't hesitate to ask for support from the forum.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I appreciate all of you for your support. Even the ones that keep posting Jayden.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Addiction's hell, glad you won yourself one whole year of freedom. Keep it up, each day of everyday life is emancipation, only a bore doesn't know that.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Thanks for this thread, Maury.

Addictions manifest themselves in different arenas. Often, they are unhealthy to ourselves and more painfully, to others. I've struggled with gambling and alcohol, hit rock bottom with one, give it up cold, and put more into the other, a vicious cycle. The phrase "addictive personality" is used and there is chemistry to support. 100proof's post has a lot of truth to it. That isn't an excuse for us though - we need to make better decisions with physical/chemical need we have.

I'm the type that doesn't enjoy "naps", "relaxing", or even "reading" - where some people crave those things - my mind goes wild and I need to keep active. I do not like idle time, I do not like being alone. It took a while, but i've found productive, or at least hobbies that aren't harmful to self or others. I put a lot of hours into home repair (self and others), carpentry, wood-working, coaching sports, etc - and each fills a personal need I have to be active, engaged, busy, etc.

...and you're right. There is no shame in faults - the shame comes when we hide them from ourselves or others. Thanks again for sharing this - I suspect it's liberating for you and you may not know it, but you're helping others as well.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I suspect it's liberating for you and you may not know it, but you're helping others as well.

I've gotten PMs from people on Reddit saying i've helped them. The shame factor is REALLY bad within the black American community due to people STILL LIVING in the past mentally. No one talks to each other about things that need to be addressed. If I can help one person out a day, i'm happy.

Shame is a tool used by people that think they're better than others. They think they can't get addicted to something until they do. Then THEY become too afraid to talk to others. It's a vicious cycle.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Addictions manifest themselves in different arenas. Often, they are unhealthy to ourselves and more painfully, to others. I've struggled with gambling and alcohol, hit rock bottom with one, give it up cold, and put more into the other, a vicious cycle. The phrase "addictive personality" is used and there is chemistry to support. 100proof's post has a lot of truth to it. That isn't an excuse for us though - we need to make better decisions with physical/chemical need we have.

I'm the type that doesn't enjoy "naps", "relaxing", or even "reading" - where some people crave those things - my mind goes wild and I need to keep active. I do not like idle time, I do not like being alone. It took a while, but i've found productive, or at least hobbies that aren't harmful to self or others.

That's what I was getting at. True addicts (I've known in a few in my day) can't just turn it off. You can say "well just don't gamble anymore" or "stop jerking off so damn much" but it's not about a lack of will power. It's like telling a depressed person to "just cheer up". Mind you that doesn't relieve them of responsibility if their addiction is self-destructive or hurting people around them. It's not an excuse. Merely an explanation. It's up to the individual to discover coping mechanisms, go to meetings and/or find positive outlets for getting that dopamine hit they need.

...and you're right. There is no shame in faults - the shame comes when we hide them from ourselves or others. Thanks again for sharing this - I suspect it's liberating for you and you may not know it, but you're helping others as well.

The interesting thing about shame is that it's a cultural and not a biological thing. In America, being a workaholic is generally seen as a positive thing (which frequently ruins marriages and neglects children) while we're taught that masturbation (which is largely victimless) is something to be ashamed of. What happens when your country is founded by Puritans, I suppose.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
The interesting thing about shame is that it's a cultural and not a biological thing. In America, being a workaholic is generally seen as a positive thing (which frequently ruins marriages and neglects children) while we're taught that masturbation (which is largely victimless) is something to be ashamed of.

You're right, it IS a cultural thing. Thing is, there is varying degrees of shame depending on the culture.

Here in Korea, the weapon of shame is taken up to 11. Korea today is much like white America in the 1950s. Just Koreanized. The father works 12-16 hours a day while the mother is at home making sure the kids are studying the same amount of hours. It's this way because it's "how it's always been". Kids have to fucking take an entrance exam to get into middle school AND high school. My students hate this shit and I feel for them. The ones that have helicopter parents makes teachers lives a living hell cause they monitor EVERYTHING and ask unimportant questions. Korean culture prevents them from telling it like it is unless they want to lose business. Yes, education is a business and not a necessity.

Also here, if you want to get a corporate job, your family has to have a great track record. In interviews, they'll ask you questions like "What do your parents do for a living? Did your father skip the draft? Did your brothers or sisters go to university? What's your blood type?". Real personal questions that have nothing to do with the job. If you're an orphan, you don't stand a chance hardly anywhere unless you leave the country or start your own business.

Look up "Hell Joseon" and you'll see what I mean. Cultural norms prevents people from taking care what NEEDS to be done cause they're afraid of what others will say/think of them. It's so bad, most homeless men out here on the streets have families they refuse to go home to because of the fact they lost a job and feel they can't support their family. It's THAT bad here in Korea.

Thankfully we don't have this in the states but there are other factors of shame that's still pretty fucked up. Masturbation is a human thing, being a workaholic isn't.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
50gb is ridiculous. I had 50gb of "roxy raye" only.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
50gb is ridiculous. I had 50gb of "roxy raye" only.

Looking back, I MIGHT have had about 150-200GB. Wasn't much cause I was happy with just enough. Streaming was where it was at.