PCE Buzzing sound when used through IFU

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper

It doesn't do this when its hooked up through the jack I installed in the side, and that will only output one channel. Does anybody know what's causing this?

And it's not the IFU either, this didn't happen with another PCE

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dunno, I never had a white PCE to hook up to that IFU, only a pair of Core Grafx's. If it's determined that the IFU is the issue let me know and I'll swap it out on my dime.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I think bad grounding of the audio channels can produce humming and buzzing.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
To me the buzzing is there through both connections so it's your PC engine itself or just bad ground or bad filtering caps.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To me the buzzing is there through both connections so it's your PC engine itself or just bad ground or bad filtering caps.

The stereo pins inside a pce are unamplified, it may be that the ifu is just amplifying the existing barely noticeable noise.

The Core Grafx system he has I'm pretty sure I recapped at some point.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks for the help guys, but I'm starting to get the feeling that it could just be that it needs a first party power supply, since I've noticed buzzing like this on other systems, albeit not quite as loud.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thanks for the help guys, but I'm starting to get the feeling that it could just be that it needs a first party power supply, since I've noticed buzzing like this on other systems, albeit not quite as loud.

What psu are you using?

Tell me it's not one of those shitty multi console power supplies. Those are total garbage.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
What psu are you using?

Tell me it's not one of those shitty multi console power supplies. Those are total garbage.

It's some 3rd party supply that Gohan sent me with the IFU. I took a look at the specs on it, and its putting out a higher amperage, much higher, than the IFU needs. Is it likely that's the cause?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
No. More amperage wouldn't be the problem as the device will only pull what it needs.

Might still be a good idea to pick up another psu to test with.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
More amps isn't a problem, any device will only pull what it needs. It's also possible that there's a ground loop caused by the PSU or the frequency of the PSU is less than ideal for the system. In short, track down an original or known good PSU.