Do you count MOTW as part of the Fatal Fury series?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
That might seem like a stupid question, because obviously it is part of the series, but to me it seems more of a spin off.

When I think of the Fatal Fury series I think of Fatal Fury up to Real Bout 2, and I suppose Wild Ambition although I've not really had much experience with that one.

MOTW just seems too different. It's probably the (almost) whole new line up and the feel of the gameplay just doesn't seem like Fatal Fury to me.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Do you count AoF3 as part of the Art of Fighting series? Or ST2ndS as successor of Shock Troopers? I could also ask you backwards: Do you count LB2 as a legitimate second part of the Last Blade series? It could be argued, that it's so similar to the first game, it's non-existent as a part of its own. Be it as it may, the answer would always be: Yes.

A series is not defined by gameplay engines, not even by a genre -- it's the story & the characters that count, with all their Gaiden parts & spin-offs all along. Hence, Samurai Spirits RPG is part of the Samurai Spirits series, R-Type Tactics part of the R-Type Series and Arkanoid has no series relation to Breakout.

And thank God for this concept, otherwise any clone could be part of an original series, like Kraut Buster being the next Metal Slug. Preposterous.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
MOTW was supposed to be SNK's answer to Third Strike. And like 3s it composed of all new comers except for a handful of original characters, well SNK only brought back Terry where as 3s had Ryu, Ken and Chun. Its def part of the series. And yes there are mixed feelings about both games from ppl that played all the orginal SF's/FF's. I dont follow storyline very closely so that kind of stuff doesnt really matter to me. Gameplay is the most important factor when it comes to any new game in any series.
If there was to be a new FF game made i would prefer it be more on the Real Bout style. MOTW is a very fun game, but i just like the returning characters in RB.

New games for the new wave of players

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Plotwise Fatal Fury is probably the most consistently (fantastic) maintained continutities across SNK franchises and MOTW is def a sequel to everything classic FF. Gameplaywise, maybe? Feels like a marketing move to call it Garou/MOTW so that newecomers feel welcome perhaps (aka the anti Final Fantasy approach where numbered entries makes the ill informed feel like they have to play every game to understand it)

Also my DC copy says Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves, and we all know Agetec ports are law....

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I think it all depends on if you consider Street Fighter III part of the Street Fighter cannon. If your answer is yes then Garou should be as well since it's the same concept.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
yeah

SF2 ppl
-"what, you have to press 2 buttons to do a throw instead of just holding forward+button?"
-"Wheres all SF characters? This isnt sf without *plug in character name*"
Edit forgot this important one... "WTF! i cant do 3 shoryukens back to back safely? This game is broken!"

FF ppl
-"This isnt FF, it only has Terry, WTF?"
-"What happened to the plane change, this isnt Fatal Fury!?"

But they can all agree "What? Parry/Just Defend.....nice!!!"

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I did actually have the same issue with SF3 back in the day. I remember thinking 'what the heck is this? Where are all the characters?'. Maybe I just don't like change.

Don't get me wrong, MOTW is a great game. I only have the DC port, but I really enjoy it. It just seems out of place to me.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
-"This isnt FF, it only has Terry, WTF?"
-"What happened to the plane change, this isnt Fatal Fury!?"

Yeah, most people also tend to forget the logical progression of the Garou engine, which peaked with FF3 (three planes)/RB (ring-outs) and consequently reduced features from then on. RB2 was in fact already bare bones offering several "single-plan" stages & introducing completely new charas. MotW's just a pinnacle of this evolution, thus even more a legitimate part of the whole series.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
A series is not defined by gameplay engines, not even by a genre -- it's the story & the characters that count, with all their Gaiden parts & spin-offs all along.

+1

street fighter 2 + alpha + street fighter 3, all part of the same series. you could even say fatal fury 1 looks and plays different to all the other fatal fury games that came after it. garou is and always will be a fatal fury game.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Do you count AoF3 as part of the Art of Fighting series? Or ST2ndS as successor of Shock Troopers? I could also ask you backwards: Do you count LB2 as a legitimate second part of the Last Blade series? It could be argued, that it's so similar to the first game, it's non-existent as a part of its own. Be it as it may, the answer would always be: Yes.

A series is not defined by gameplay engines, not even by a genre -- it's the story & the characters that count, with all their Gaiden parts & spin-offs all along. Hence, Samurai Spirits RPG is part of the Samurai Spirits series, R-Type Tactics part of the R-Type Series and Arkanoid has no series relation to Breakout.

So you count Sengoku 3 as part of the series? it is only by title, not by story or characters or anything else. I myself have doubts with that one.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So you count Sengoku 3 as part of the series? it is only by title, not by story or characters or anything else. I myself have doubts with that one.

Taken from a Sengoku 3 review here on neo-geo.com:

I begin by providing a rough translation of a conversation I had with an SNK employee (it would be a stretch to call it an "interview") which took place while witnessing Japanese players partake in the action.

Yukuri: So this is Sengoku 3, right?

SNK: Yes, that's correct, this will make the third game in the series. But since we've changed the game so much from the previous installment, there's no reason for anyone to refer to this as "just another Sengoku title."

Is this SNK employee right? Should this game rather be called Gaia Crusaders 2001 instead? Form a legal and monetary perspective, and frankly speaking, there is no other, the answer is: No.

The one holding the license is calling the cards and if some retard at Capcom USA decides to grant the Strider license to another retard at U.S. Gold, then the latter's abomination becomes instantly part of the series. Wait, it gets better: If another retard at Big N's decide to share Zelda, Mario & Co. with Philips, because he wants to show Sony the finger, guess what? Them deranged CD-i games also become part of the series, respectively.

Everything else is just subjective and equally arguable fan-boyism. No matter if you are a nobody on ng.com (yours truly) or the holy spirit of Yotsui and Miyamoto all together.

#justfacts

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
AJtheMishima said:
But they can all agree "What? Parry/Just Defend.....nice!!!"

I hate the parry. Whenever I play against pros they parry everything, and honestly makes the game boring if you don't want to dedicate your life to it. There's plenty of other games that I'd prefer to master first, so sold off my Third Strike board ages ago once I realized how bad I sucked. Pretty game though, but give me Alpha 3 instead.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Do you count AoF3 as part of the Art of Fighting series?
AoF3 is a more legit follow up to the first game than 2 is, in terms of gameplay.

But MotW is a complete switch up to the Fatal Fury series. Yeah, it continues the story, but it does not play like a Fatal Fury game at all. And contrary to your opinion here, that is important.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yes. It's also either my first or second favorite FF game (I go back and forth between Mark of the Wolves and Real Bout Special)

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I hate the parry. Whenever I play against pros they parry everything, and honestly makes the game boring if you don't want to dedicate your life to it. There's plenty of other games that I'd prefer to master first, so sold off my Third Strike board ages ago once I realized how bad I sucked. Pretty game though, but give me Alpha 3 instead.

Alpha 3 is a really good game too. Im always down for some on fightcade.
As for the 3s parry , yes at super high level gameplay you will get parried especially if you make yourself predictable with patterns. But casual play between ppl that play this game here and there it's a shit ton of fun. I'm average at 3s, and I have had my ass handed to me, but I come back for more

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
But MotW [...] it does not play like a Fatal Fury game at all. And contrary to your opinion here, that is important.

You mean that this is an important argument in order to rule it out of the Fatal Fury series? But following that logic any clone could claim to be part of a series it imitates, because it would play like the original.

I agree, that it is important to have an own personal and subjective opinion on the matter, on any matter to be sure, it can spawn an interesting discussion and inspire, not to say change, people's minds in a positive way. It just won't change the, so to speak, official version conceived by those who hold power over the license. And that is my opinion.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
Of course. Just because the gameplay and characters are somewhat different doesn't mean it's not part of the series. Every FF game switched up the formula and gameplay in subtle ways, MOTW just took it to a step further.

Plus when you're busting out burning knuckles with Terry, it sure feels like a FF sequel..

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
More of a spin off than a sequel. Similar to life force being a spinoff of gradius, both games feature vic viper as the player 1 ship

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I am with Pegboy on this one. To me while it does have Terry, the roster is too different to be considered a Fatal Fury game.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
More of a spin off than a sequel. Similar to life force being a spinoff of gradius, both games feature vic viper as the player 1 ship

This is how I see it as well, which is why I thought I'd ask the question. I know it IS part of the FF series, but I still consider it a kind of spin off in my mind. When I'm talking to someone about FF, I often forget MOTW.

To dumb it down to it's lowest possible level: Joey is not part of Friends, despite having one of the same main characters.

DaveGeorge

NEST Puppet
To me it's always been a part of the fatal fury-series. Sure it's a bit different but as many above have stated before me, a lot of other games have sequels that is somewhat different from earlier incarnations. Progress...simple as that. ;)

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Of course MOTW is part of the Fatal Fury series. This is just silly.

My two favorite FF games are probably MOTW and Real Bout Special.