Do you count MOTW as part of the Fatal Fury series?

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
I would definitely say yup it sure is! It's my least favorite of the series, my favorite being Real Bout Special.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I hate the parry. Whenever I play against pros they parry everything, and honestly makes the game boring if you don't want to dedicate your life to it. There's plenty of other games that I'd prefer to master first, so sold off my Third Strike board ages ago once I realized how bad I sucked. Pretty game though, but give me Alpha 3 instead.

This is the argument I've heard for years now (not trying to pick on you just this is a good example). I hear pros bitch about this all day. Learning how not to be predictable is something worth learning for all fighting games. 3s teaches this in spades. Now there are examples where no matter what you're going to be parried i.e. play Ryu against guys who play nothing but this game. However it's easily remedied by choosing another character. Most high level guys have shotos down pat. The rest not so much.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's not like it's a completely different genre of game. It's a fighting game in the Garou series.

Now if it was a fucking puzzle game with a Garou theme, then this would be debatable.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
anigif_enhanced-buzz-4898-1345835798-8.gif

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Yes, but it's a bit like Street Fighter III in that they threw out almost all the original characters. So that was kind of a bummer.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Yes, but it's a bit like Street Fighter III in that they threw out almost all the original characters. So that was kind of a bummer.

but they did the same with alpha. most the original characters didn't make it to the alpha series at first, and it was well received. and alpha is no less apart of the street fighter series. so is as street fighter 3.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Not to mention the console release of SFA3 brought back awhole bunch of characters. T.Hawk, Deejay,Guile, etc

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Yes: I count MOTW as a Fatal Fury but, somehow, it still remains a separate entity in my own mind. It's a reboot, really...

IMHO, it is part of the series, I always felt it was the most achieved version in terms of gameplay and how the moves can be pulled.
Im a bit biased since I consider this title the best game of my collection

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I've always felt this was a sequel. Street Fighter III and 2nd Impact only had Ken, Ryu, and Akuma. It wasn't until 3rd Strike that they even brought in Chun-Li and Remi (who is as close as Guile as we got in that series).

The characters they brought over have very strong ties to original Fatal Fury characters. Butt was Ryo's student, Hokutomaru was a student of Andy, Rock is Geese's kid, Dong Hwan and Jae Hoon were Kaphwan's kids. I felt this was a clever way to age the series.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
There's nothing to really debate here-- it IS a part of the Garoundensetsu line and is the storyline sequel to Real Bout Fatal Fury-- you even have one of the game intros depicting the events of RBFF. As others have already said, it was SNK's version of Street Fighter III and they essentially started over again from a game play standpoint, but even though there are new characters, we get some familiar moves and play styles with Rock, Hokutomaru, and the Kim twins, plus the AOF nod with Marco/Butt.

Personally, I never liked this game as much as I did the Real Bout games and I too would prefer to see a new Real Bout-style game over a Garou 2.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Ok I always heard that Real Bout was a remake of Fatal Fury one story wise, FFRBS was a remake of Fatal Fury 2 and RB2 is supposed to be a dream match story.