16-Bit Castlevania Showdown!

Favorite 16-Bit Console Castlevania

• Total voters

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
What was your favorite 16-bit console Castlevania game?

It's a tie between Rondo and Bloodlines for me

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My guess is that Rondo will win with no problem...but SCV IV is my personal favorite to this day. It defined the SNES for me, it was a super early title and it was amazing how awesome it was the first time I saw it. For a cart game, it also has an amazing soundtrack.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I'm not a big Castlevania fan, I had Simon's Quest growing up and loved it but it wasn't a traditional CV I suppose. My friend had the original Castlevania for NES and I wasn't a fan and I never even knew CV III on NES existed until emulation. I never played Super Castlevania growing up or Dracula X (SNES). When I finally got around to playing CV 4, I thought it was a good game but I felt Rondo was so much better with presentation, alternate routes, boss fights, sub weapons and just about everything. Dracula X SNES is a fun game but has something missing, I feel like the level design wasn't as great but the core gameplay was fun. Rondo is definitely my favorite 16-bit Castlevania.

Also, I think technically Rondo is 8-bit.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My personal favorite is bloodlines. I prefer it over any of the Snes Castlevania's but the better game is Rondo.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i'm actually playing super castlevania 4 right now. definitely my favourite 16bit castlevania game. the variety in stages and level design, the attention to detail, the controls and that hauntingly beautiful soundtrack makes this my favourite.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Mine is Castlevania NES because it was the first one I played, then very close 2nd Super Castlevania 4 SNES.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I love Super Castlevania IV, but I gotta go with Rondo. The soundtrack is superior. The first stage feels like you're in a town from 2. The hidden stages and a polarizing reason because the weapons feel like a Castlevania game. I love IV for the fact you can whip anywhere, but it really doesn't feel like a Castlevania game. More like an arcade title they made after a console title. Which isn't bad, but nostalgia wise Rondo is more in line with what the soul of Castlevania is.

Though I totally get why people would prefer IV.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm not a big Castlevania fan, I had Simon's Quest growing up and loved it but it wasn't a traditional CV I suppose. My friend had the original Castlevania for NES and I wasn't a fan and I never even knew CV III on NES existed until emulation. I never played Super Castlevania growing up or Dracula X (SNES). When I finally got around to playing CV 4, I thought it was a good game but I felt Rondo was so much better with presentation, alternate routes, boss fights, sub weapons and just about everything. Dracula X SNES is a fun game but has something missing, I feel like the level design wasn't as great but the core gameplay was fun. Rondo is definitely my favorite 16-bit Castlevania.

Also, I think technically Rondo is 8-bit.

You know...as a series, I'm not a huge CV fan either. Individual games? I love them at times. I loved Castlevania II as a kid...I just did. I know a ton of people despise it but I just loved it. I found 1 and 3 to be frustratingly difficult...and not in a fun type of way. Bloodlines is ok and I'm a giant fan of Symphony of the Night...but again, not a main line CV title. I also loved the hell out of the Game Boy Advance titles as well.

Rondo came way too late for me, I didn't play it for the first time until 2006 or so...but that time, it's didn't blow me away all that much. On top of that, it's far closer to CV I and III...which I really do not care for.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Can't say I'm hugely into the series either, but I do like a good Castlevania here and there. I really need to try some of the GBA games.

Anyway, it's down to either Rondo or Bloodlines.... I think I'll give the Megadrive some love here.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
What about the abomination on the arcade Haunted Castle? I'm telling you what you think any of the NES games were hard you don't know what difficult is till you play this game.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I voted Rondo.

Though I am surprised Akumajou Dracula (x68000) didn't make it on the list. For those of you that haven't played it, it's really fantastic. Throw back to the original NES/Famicom Castlevania game. Just turbo-charged.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I voted Rondo.

Though I am surprised Akumajou Dracula (x68000) didn't make it on the list. For those of you that haven't played it, it's really fantastic. Throw back to the original NES/Famicom Castlevania game. Just turbo-charged.

Honestly I prefer the Castlevania Chronicles version. for as much as the games like to harken back to CV1 and pay respects (Fuck IV is simply a retelling of CV1 with the arcade treatment) Castlevania Chronicles did it right. It felt like CV1 yet had it's own style.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Honestly I prefer the Castlevania Chronicles version. for as much as the games like to harken back to CV1 and pay respects (Fuck IV is simply a retelling of CV1 with the arcade treatment) Castlevania Chronicles did it right. It felt like CV1 yet had it's own style.

i'm going to have to give chronicles another go, but i don't remember it being nearly as good as super castlevania 4. i did love the style of chronicles. probably my favourite version of simon ever. but l remember it to lack in every other department when compared to castlvania 4 .

castlevania-chronicles-playstation-ps1-1405586474-012.jpg

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
i'm going to have to give chronicles another go, but i don't remember it being nearly as good as super castlevania 4. i did love the style of chronicles. probably my favourite version of simon ever. but l remember it to lack in every other department when compared to castlvania 4 .

View attachment 37900

From a simple game standpoint IV is better the Chronicles. However doing a retelling of the original Chronicles is better. IV is it's own beast I just wish it wasn't a retelling of CV1. It's also why you hear people who don't like the original love IV because it "fixes" what they hate. Though in doing that it takes some away of what Castlevania is supposed to be.

It would be like making Mega Man shoot in all directions with little to no charge for the Mega Buster. If the main weapon was that good why use the sub weapons?

Metroidvania is also it's own beast, but it doesn't try to disguise itself to be like the original. It's it's own thing, I like all the different styles of Castlevania. It makes the series fresh when there's something new to it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Moar like 16-Bit Castlevania Slowdown!

amirite?

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Rondo is still my favorite, followed closely by IV.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Rondo of the Blood,damn good sound track and enough replay value for it as well.I would have,SCIV in second place due to the fact how great it's controls are beside it's chip tunes still hold up for me.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
My personal favorite is bloodlines. I prefer it over any of the Snes Castlevania's but the better game is Rondo.

Same here. Rondo is nothing short of amazing, but I prefer the gritty look, musical score, and general atmosphere of Bloodlines better. Rondo is definitely my 2nd fave tho, it really is the best of the non-metroid Castlevanias.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Rondo is the best of the list, but it's also an 8-bit game. Bloodlines is the best actually 16-bit entry in the series, though you also left out the X68000 game, which would make it a tougher call.

edit: It's amazing how the internet's Nintendo bias seeps into third party games too. Another Konami example is how Hard Corps destroys Alien Wars from a gameplay perspective but is often relatively ignored.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
OP has never played Rondo (or Dracula X), so idk why he tied the former with bloodlines as his personal favorite.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
edit: It's amazing how the internet's Nintendo bias seeps into third party games too. Another Konami example is how Hard Corps destroys Alien Wars from a gameplay perspective but is often relatively ignored.

Hard Corps doesn't feel like a Contra game at all, it's just one giant boss rush. I think that turned off a lot of people from spending quality time with it, which is a shame.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Bloodlines, all day. I enjoyed the other games a lot, and replayed the crap out of most.... except Drac X SNES, I think I've beaten that one twice. But Bloodlines keeps me coming back most.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Yes.