Do you work your ass off?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
No matter what I've do...there's stress. Factory was the stress of shit pay. Field was the stress of layoff threats looming all of the time (and not getting any paid time off). Office stress is 100% in you mind and my not being able to shut it off.

This. I prefer shit pay (so to speak) for unplugging 100% after work. Very rarely do I ever let work get to me, and I know my way around everything so well that it's really hard for the managers to tell me what to do if I don't want to do it for a good reason.

When I first got into the workforce I tried factory, construction, and delivery and all 3 had undue stress. I knew I wanted a job that payed decent for a get your work done and go home kind of job. Little to no stress. On top of that I wanted to live close to work so I could eat lunches at home. It took some years and relocating a couple of times, but I got what I always wanted and wouldn't trade it for more money. Lord knows they offer it up enough.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
@smokehouse - unless they pay you an obscene amount of money or some other kind of compensation, you are an idiot for being there that long.

sounds like a shit gig with a company that doesn't give a fuck about you.
Right. I've never heard of that at a reputable company. NOLO (legal advice site) states OVER 90% of US companies offer paid time off for full-time employees; with the amount of time generally determined by length of service. If you're at a company 16 years FT and no paid vacation - that's on you.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
If an employer treated a full time employee like that here the story would genuinely be in the national newspapers.

It would be a shock scandal discussed on the evening news with interviews of staff members with their faces blurred and probably a protest for workers rights.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Not really.

For my paying job, all I do is wake up and teach a bunch of kids that do or do not want to learn English.

For what I want to do, I take notes, make a video on it, get translations, and upload it on YouTube or other streaming sites.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I definitely work my ass off. It is so unbecoming of me.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
i'm in banking so its stressful and can be complicated however i'm in an air conditioned building with a very comfortable chair have access to snacks have breaks and a lunch and usually just work an 8 hour day 5 days a week so not bad

And you also have some of the hotter co workers when working in banking. Lucky bastard.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
depends. lately hell no. Ive been working from home for the past 3-4 months, and the work i actually did, only took about 10- 15 hours a week. I actually just got back from traveling to Oklahoma city for a 1 days job. The travel was actually worse than the work itself. I have a free week next week, then I'm off to Chicago, but I'm also looking for a new job, since this one isn't really allowing me to grow as a network engineer. So i suppose i'll be working me arse off soon if i get the new gig.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I get the job done well and without having to revisit... well mostly but that's not always clear cut. So no?