horror themed japanese games

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was basically searching once more for this completely unheard of game a video of which I had come across a few years ago, it looks so fucked up in a good way.
I remember there was some xbox shooter where you killed traditional japanese monsters and stuff? anyone have any idea what it might be? I think it was on xbox or 360?
any other games of the ilk come to mind? I'm talking about the more obscure stuff.
here's the vid of Akuma:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was basically searching once more for this completely unheard of game a video of which I had come across a few years ago, it looks so fucked up in a good way.
I remember there was some xbox shooter where you killed traditional japanese monsters and stuff? anyone have any idea what it might be? I think it was on xbox or 360?
any other games of the ilk come to mind? I'm talking about the more obscure stuff.
here's the vid of Akuma:

oh by the way, it is a light gun game that uses holographic graphics, apparently the spooks looked to come out at you

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Spanks gents.

And to further this thread, I'm a fan of the Siren and Fatal Frame series.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Wasn't there a recent digital only Fatal Frame game for Wii U? Any good?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
spectacular stuff yall. I will deffo pick up evil within and had I a PS3, Siren. played the demo and scared the shit out of me

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think yall missed the OP's point of this thread. It looks to be more of a question, and not about the actual title.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think yall missed the OP's point of this thread. It looks to be more of a question, and not about the actual title.

Lol yeah, I made it a bit confusing, but it's cool. It's turned into a hybrid monster. How it should be.

Wasabi, Sweet Home is completely intriguing. I wonder if anyone has translated it yet.

The game I recall where you kill Japanese monsters was top down shooter or something maybe?

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
I'm going to disagree with you guys on Evil Within. I think it was actually terrible. The patch that removed forced letterbox improved it but I just think it feels terrible to play. It's a game that says you need to use almost exclusively stealth for the first 3 chapters then largely throws it out the window and turns into an arena shooter. A lot of the stuff in it just seems completely stupid, your stamina bar is laughable, but when you get into a scripted event you can run forever. It's not even scary, it's more just gore. Then it desensitizes you to it at the end of the first few chapters and the rest of the game just feels mundane. I honestly think its a 5/10. I think RE4 is a 9/10 for reference. It just seems like it tries to do too much and has a really, really dumb plot. I thought the optional notes you find throughout the game were much more interesting then the actual plot of the game.

PS1 Clocktower is really good. Surprisingly scary despite the graphics being pretty terrible.

Theres also Echo Night on PS1, and Echo Night:Beyond on PS2. Theres also Echo Night 2 as a JP only release on PS1, t I think there was a translation out or in the works.
Echo Night Beyond is definitely worth playing but it is pretty clunky. It's got a sci-fi setting because it takes place in Space, so that may or may not be your jam.

If you've played it or know someone who has it, P.T. is great even though its like a 30 minute tech demo.

Rule of Rose sucks and isn't worth playing. Don't fall for it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Talking about PS1 I really want to play LSD. Might not be scary but looks creepy enough and Japanese enough to warrant mention. Plus it's the kind of weird shit I have always loved

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Death Crimson for DC was trash.
I never played Illbreed on DC either.

Anybody play the Silent Hill arcade game?

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Death Crimson for DC was trash.
I never played Illbreed on DC either.

Anybody play the Silent Hill arcade game?
Played it last year at Diver city in Odaiba, Japan. It's meh. These guys hit the hammer on the nail with this review. House of the dead 2 cheese.
https://youtu.be/TdVmkca41mU

You can play it on the wii at least.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Illbleed and Blue Stinger, both fantastic and fantastically clanky games. Love them

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Illbleed and Blue Stinger, both fantastic and fantastically clanky games. Love them

deja vu. i was actually talking about blue stinger today. truly is a fantastically clunky game. soo dreamcast.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Illbleed felt very novel when it came out... I wonder how it holds up today? I've been meaning to hook my dreamcast back up...

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Anyone know how well Silent Hill 2 runs on a 360? (The Xbox version, not the HD one).

Aside from games mentioned above, I'm fond of D (the first one).

Also might mention Parasite Eve, its an Action RPG, but its story, monsters, etc are based on a Japanese Horror Movie (and Book).

xorthen

Banned
I'm going to disagree with you guys on Evil Within. I think it was actually terrible. The patch that removed forced letterbox improved it but I just think it feels terrible to play. It's a game that says you need to use almost exclusively stealth for the first 3 chapters then largely throws it out the window and turns into an arena shooter.

Did you even play Akumu?