Shadow Gangs go eat some dick//this is more like it

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
No, I do care. Based on the posts I've read from you in the past you come across as someone who "gets it" regarding games, and I'm very curious as to what someone who "gets it" sees in these kinds of titles.

appreciate that very much. I guess from time to time I feel reinvigorated enough to delve once more into what is being pushed. to me these type of games that where novel some years back have peaked as far as mainstream interest. so what remains should in theory be rubbish right next to games that have some decent attributes to them.
I feel Huntdown in particular (save for the bipedal robot which I thought moved too smoothly and was too obvious) is playful and tasteful enough to get a preliminary pass. maybe as a kind of joke title. the thing about these games is that they are redundant to an extent - I find it bewildering that they should emulate what was once a push in graphical prowess as somehow this has some merit other than looking 'cool'. if 2D had been 'in' to this day you can bet that the game would have progressed into lush sophisticated animation and graphics unseen today. I'm not sure if I am getting my point across with this? these games sometimes take the piss and it shows, but sometimes it's an honest angle they are approaching things, and here I think it may be the case. it is tongue in cheek, but then tongue in cheek has always been a part of some of the better 2D games.
there is a third category which is when games are so bad they're good and the game makers are deluded and this is something I tend to love. which I kind of see happening in that gng type game.
all the digitized fighting games as well as Shinobi X, some of the silly hacks that came out on the 8 bit nintendo, as well as 'chinese originals' and unofficial conversions, it's all a lot more interesting than the glossy shit made by the big companies. games should never be anything else than quite silly most of the time. in my opinion
that's me though

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I mean isn't this gaudy and gorgeous at the same time? digitized filth needs to come back.

I think it just depends what mood you're in and how you are looking at things at any particular moment in time - but I like to put these games in a similar category - barely acceptable but very accessible aesthetically by today's standards.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
- I find it bewildering that they should emulate what was once a push in graphical prowess as somehow this has some merit other than looking 'cool'. if 2D had been 'in' to this day you can bet that the game would have progressed into lush sophisticated animation and graphics unseen today.

I've thought about this a long time ago. Years later, the ugly, exaggeratedly pixelated bleepity bloopity look remains. It's not like the skill/artistic deficits + contextual ignorance of these developers are going to lead them toward developing the second coming of Third Strike animation, but if 2D had remained "in", maybe a few of these developers would attempt to emulate a style beyond the crude NES/SNES 20XX look.

Also, I think Shin Shinobi Den is great, and isn't very pertinent to this discussion.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I've thought about this a long time ago. Years later, the ugly, exaggeratedly pixelated bleepity bloopity look remains. It's not like the skill/artistic deficits + contextual ignorance of these developers are going to lead them toward developing the second coming of Third Strike animation, but if 2D had remained "in", maybe a few of these developers would attempt to emulate a style beyond the crude NES/SNES 20XX look.

Also, I think Shin Shinobi Den is great, and isn't very pertinent to this discussion.

I agree on the first point but do feel that my inclusion of the video is pertinent on account of how I, personally, as someone who was trying to explain what he sees in this upcoming game. The trashy look. When Shin Shinobi Den first came out it was seen as an eyesore

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I agree on the first point but do feel that my inclusion of the video is pertinent on account of how I, personally, as someone who was trying to explain what he sees in this upcoming game. The trashy look. When Shin Shining Den first came out it was seen as an eyesore

Within 3 years after the first Mortal Kombat game, the digitized look was becoming passe.

The late to the party Japanese developed offerings produced during this small window of a trend are, IMO, some of the coolest and strangest (Shinobi Legions, Blood Warrior, Survival Arts, Battle Monsters). The short lived existence and organic kitsch of these titles is hard to compare to the relatively lengthy existence of these new style "rEtro games", which few would even describe as trashy.

I understand the so-bad-it's-good mentality, but I wouldn't apply it to games made in the vein of the one in the original post.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Within 3 years after the first Mortal Kombat game, the digitized look was becoming passe.

The late to the party Japanese developed offerings produced during this small window of a trend are, IMO, some of the coolest and strangest (Shinobi Legions, Blood Warrior, Survival Arts, Battle Monsters). The short lived existence and organic kitsch of these titles doesn't have much to do with the relatively lengthy existence of these new styled "rEtro gamez" which few even see as trashy.

I understand the so-bad-it's-good viewpoint, but I personally can't apply it to games made in the vein on the original post.

Yeah you make a good point and I think I got caught in trying to justify myself rather than giving you an honest answer, which is that I just like the urban punky crude busters vigilante crime fighters vibe with backdrops that have me remembering irem. Sometimes you just like what you like if you allow yourself to be inconsistent and hipocritical

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I don't understand the negative comments in this thread.
Watch the first 10 seconds again. Don't pay attention to graphics, pay attention to how the game is actually being played. Literally the dude just stands in front of a wall of bullets, eating hits like a moron and laying on the trigger using no strategy at all, and wins simply because the other side runs out of health first (but we're not supposed to notice that because oooh ahhh BIG EXPLOSION). That's not the kind of thing you put in a trailer if you want your game to be noted for compelling gameplay.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Not touching games like this with a 10 feet pole. I wholeheartedly agree with ASID. These so called "arcade games" are not made with the same mindset they were made with 15 years ago. Instead they are made to cater to the new "retro-gamer" and offer none to very little replayability. I will save my money and choose from a library that spans over 20 years.

Gorka

Borca,
20 Year Member
Anyone tried this yet? Ive only heard secondhand praise yet. Like how someones cousins roommate says its awesome.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I just went through the comments in this thread again, to see what I was thinking back then. I don't know, I think I was just caught up in a Fox Mulder moment. I wanted to believe. I needed to believe. Because seeing it all fall away as it has during the years is hard

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I just googled the game and remembered what it was, another forum's thread popped up and it seems the Euro nerds are foaming at the mouth and giving the dev shit for the $25, entertaining read if you've got some minutes: https://community.eurogamer.net/thread/311095?start=1410

Meanwhile, the guy developing it made his own thread on it here over four years ago and even wanted to give it a Neo-Geo release, which is even more entertaining and is worth re-reading: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ot-80-s-arcade-inspired-ninja-game&highlight=

This guy needed someone to talk some sense into him. He was way, wayyyyy in over his head from the get-go.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I just googled the game and remembered what it was, another forum's thread popped up and it seems the Euro nerds are foaming at the mouth and giving the dev shit for the $25, entertaining read if you've got some minutes: https://community.eurogamer.net/thread/311095?start=1410

Meanwhile, the guy developing it made his own thread on it here over four years ago and even wanted to give it a Neo-Geo release, which is even more entertaining and is worth re-reading: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ot-80-s-arcade-inspired-ninja-game&highlight=

This guy needed someone to talk some sense into him. He was way, wayyyyy in over his head from the get-go.

That was fun read for sure. But take note that this thread is about a different game

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

How the fuck did a shadow gangs related thread get 48 pages? Thanks again europe.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That was fun read for sure. But take note that this thread is about a different game

Oh dang, I see it now. Gotta say tho, it's serendipity that these two games that were announced in 2016 finally released within the past month.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I watched about ten minutes of Huntdown. The spritework is visually impressive, even if the character sprites are tiny (tiny player sprites seem to be a thing for western devs). High production values. Doesn't seem terrible.