Super Turrican SNES

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Long time ago I bought a boxed SNES Super Turrican. Game while plays, suddenly sound stuck and you hear a buzz all the time. If you reset or turn off/on it plays fine then until next random buzz. It may be after one minute or after half an hour. I didn't return the cart back then and now I have to deal with the problem.

Do you guys know what it is or if it can be fixed? Thanks

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Long time ago I bought a boxed SNES Super Turrican. Game while plays, suddenly sound stuck and you hear a buzz all the time. If you reset or turn off/on it plays fine then until next random buzz. It may be after one minute or after half an hour. I didn't return the cart back then and now I have to deal with the problem.

Do you guys know what it is or if it can be fixed? Thanks

I assume you have tried it with a different SNES?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There isn't really much to fix on a SNES cart like Super Turrican, it's going to be a CIC chip and a mask ROM.

myblackamex

NEST Puppet
I've fixed this issue before by opening the cart and cleaning the contacts with a 800 grit or 1000 grit sandpaper and lightly rubbing the contacts only. Using alcohol wasn't enough to clean them.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
OP, you are either playing on a SNES mini, or a 1Chip full-size SNES, correct? The game has compatibility issues with those. There is nothing wrong with your cart, and nothing you can do about it. I actually have a second SNES purely so that I can play this game.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Contacts of the cart are super clean and I have cleaned them over and over with PCB cleaners and erasers. My SNES is a Pal full size one and I haven't tried the cart in another SNES because I don't have one. I will try on my Sfcm but it may region locked.

OP, you are either playing on a SNES mini, or a 1Chip full-size SNES, correct? The game has compatibility issues with those. There is nothing wrong with your cart, and nothing you can do about it. I actually have a second SNES purely so that I can play this game.

If it s a known compatibility issue what console shall I buy for the game to be compatible? How can I tell if it is not a 1chip again?

Thank you all

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
If it s a known compatibility issue what console shall I buy for the game to be compatible? How can I tell if it is not a 1chip again?

Thank you all

The vast majority of SNES systems are not 1Chip. Only the very last revision of the larger SNES and the SNES mini are 1Chip. The 1Chip gives the best RGB picture though, so don't go dumping that system.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
The vast majority of SNES systems are not 1Chip. Only the very last revision of the larger SNES and the SNES mini are 1Chip. The 1Chip gives the best RGB picture though, so don't go dumping that system.
Great I will look into it. In the meanwhile I will test if it plays on my sfcm tonight. It is a 93 game so there is a chance it doesn't a 50hz check at start up.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I have the exact same problem with my copy of Super Turrican on the SNES. The game plays fine for quite a while, then the buzzing starts, and then it freezes--I've never been able to complete it, and no amount of cleaning the contacts helps. I bought two different Super Turrican cartridges from Funco and had the same problem both times (and I marked the first cartridge to make sure that they didn't just give me the same cartridge back again).

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I have the exact same problem with my copy of Super Turrican on the SNES. The game plays fine for quite a while, then the buzzing starts, and then it freezes--I've never been able to complete it, and no amount of cleaning the contacts helps. I bought two different Super Turrican cartridges from Funco and had the same problem both times (and I marked the first cartridge to make sure that they didn't just give me the same cartridge back again).

You can't clean the lack of compatibility with a 1Chip system off of the contacts.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I know that now, but, back in the day (I was a teenager when I bought Super Turrican), I didn't know anything about that kind of stuff (and I still don't :D), so, I figured it had to be dirt/grime on the cart or in the system.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I know that now, but, back in the day (I was a teenager when I bought Super Turrican), I didn't know anything about that kind of stuff (and I still don't :D), so, I figured it had to be dirt/grime on the cart or in the system.

Oh yeah, sure. Same here. I scrubbed the shit out of mine. Ended up finding some forum thread somewhere (maybe on shmups?) where this problem was discussed. Based on that, I got myself a non-1Chip SNES, and now the game plays fine. Super T is worth owning a separate SNES deck for, though.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Oh yeah, sure. Same here. I scrubbed the shit out of mine. Ended up finding some forum thread somewhere (maybe on shmups?) where this problem was discussed. Based on that, I got myself a non-1Chip SNES, and now the game plays fine. Super T is worth owning a separate SNES deck for, though.

Does the game exhibit the same problem when played through an everdrive?

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Does the game exhibit the same problem when played through an everdrive?
Yes. It is the 1chip causing incompatibility and not the rom

Please let me know what serials are possible non 1chip models if know it.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Yes. It is the 1chip causing incompatibility and not the rom

Exactly.

Please let me know what serials are possible non 1chip models if know it.

I really don't know, but the 1Chip SNESes are uncommon and are sought-after. If you pick up a SNES and it happens to be 1Chip, you will have no problem getting rid of it.