How do you support your Neo Geo addiction?

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
How people can justify high prices? Passion and personal choice. Hey, there are many sports fans who are willing to spend thousands of dollars to attend a regular season game. Rolax lovers who spend over ten thousands on a watch.

How do I get money to support my Neo collection? Like others have mentioned, most of us already purchased our collection when the prices of home carts were still reasonable. I used to trade games and used those profit to support Neo. I have a decent job and a healthy savings now but it doesn't mean I choose to blow thousands on home carts. Bottom line is buy what you can afford and games you will enjoy.

Genuinely curious where AES collectors get their money..like what kind of jobs do these people have. Doctors, lawyers, some other high level positions? Or are y'all just like, murdering people for these AES carts.

Like I said in the OP, $450 is NOTHING compared to the prices out there. I'm not hating on those that spend thousands on a single game, I just wonder how people can justify prices like that

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
-I stick to MVS, Neo CD, and NGPC
-I don't care what condition the games are in as long as they work
-I prefer loose carts
-I don't care about region
-I try to buy decent sized lots of games for bulk discounts
-I am not picky about MVS vs Neo CD unless the CD version is missing animation frames or has absurd load times

That's about it.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I used to play AES back in 2003 - 2005. Now I recently purchased a CMVS and plan on fully supporting it. While I may be late to the party, I most certainly can purchase games I want to play.

I think the key is to actually play the games that way your spending is more spread out and manageable.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
first of all, I have no addiction. But if I did I would probably get some type of night job to help with my neo needs ;) But yeah I recently sold off my small AES collection and just decided to stick with just MVS, picking up titles that i want while they are still somewhat affordable.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Simply by not caring about collecting games. You see, I love the original hardware, and playing games on them, but I simply don't really care about having a wall of games. As a matter of fact, I can probably use that space for other things.
Not only does it save me money, considering how high prices have gone, it's really just not adding anything for me. For me, powering on the system, picking the game I want in some menu, and playing it, is good enough.
Whether it's a flash cart, USB loader, HDD, or multicart, if it plays a lot of different games for cheap, that fits the bill.
Now, there are some exceptions. Games I really, really like, well, those I do like to have a physical copy of. But that's really a rare exception. And, of course, games that aren't on multicarts or for some reason cannot be loaded from flashcarts, that I do want to play, yeah, I'd buy them.
I think that should make me able to enjoy Neo Geo, and all other systems, to the fullest without completely breaking the bank.

Funny enough, I'm completely the reverse when it comes to music. I always want some physical copy, be it CD, cassette, or especially vinyl.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Too new to be addicted I guess, but I did have the NGPC for a few years when it was fresh meat. I found myself buying quite a few, but I made sure not to shelf rat the stuff and use it which helped spread things out. I kind of also assumed with GBC there the writing was on the wall so I took time knowing the library wasn't going to get large. In time it was dead when a massive part of a collection I once possessed had to be sold and it was one of the first to go being out of stuff to play with. It's why I never seriously consider doing it again, plus the price of the non-loose carts suck.

MVS though I do have now, that one I find I buy only what isn't for the most part on my 161in1. I also use Mike's guide so I am patient. If ebay morons want to overpay, let them. I'll buy when the price is right whenever that time may be. I casually play the thing, not on it all the time, so I can space out the fun while thrilling over the hunt over a game or two I'd really like to own still. I'm NOT about the boxes, bubble bags, perfect plastic shells, shockboxes or the rest, though I wouldn't mind a few mini marquees. I buy them as long as they appear legit and in working order, not really region sensitive as it is pointless to quibble over a dumb sticker. I can't play a sticker. I've got 17 games + the multicart. I'm looking to add more over time, mostly just what isn't on the multicart though but I would make exceptions for something I really enjoy like SS3 but that's about it. That's how I deal with it and it works. We have money issues here, so my support on that side is banking an allowance I give myself and selling off overpriced shitty or good old video games morons are chomping at the bit currently to over pay for to fund it which is fine by me (it even bought me a home use only Pin-Bot a year ago with just 10 games of which 3 paid nearly 2/3 of it.)

capnd77

Marked Wolf
MVS is the logical choice if you're on a budget. AES these days is for the rich folks if you weren't already in the AES game before. As some have already mentioned, I usually don't care too much about cart condition as long as it's a good working copy.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I don't play any current gen stuff, that stuff adds up real quick. I'd rather pick up another mvs cart I'm after.

Also, limiting the number of hobbies or collections helps. Outside of Neo and other games, I don't by much else (music, clothes, etc.)

Oh, and having a really good paying job helps :D if you're scraping the bottom of the piggy bank every month, maybe this isn't the best hobby to get into.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
You need to have a decent paying job or just constantly be on the hunt online and locally to feed the NG hunger. If you really really need the game then I'd say try to make sure you're in a decent position where you can afford it. If not, let it slide, it wasn't meant to be. I mean shit, I've seen Ganryu go for $500 for MVS. No way in hell I'd spend that.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
MVC gamers condition carts and almost fighters only, taking my time completing each fighter and trying to get good deals for new fighting games - highest I paid was for Garou so far. Having a job helps too

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I don't for the most part - aes has always been a step beyond me. I enjoy picking up the odd mvs to play and look after... that's more of a hobby than an addiction.

Job, house, savings come first, but I don't lurk on forums about those! ...now I had done better and had more money/space I'd for sure be the type to sacrifice some expensivish perks and pick up some neo geo relics instead...

And that's the thing - you're buying works of art these days with aes versions. Perhaps some people look at them a bit like antiques in terms of an investment (which'll hopefully work out for them... but you'll be waiting few years... but you'll also find these pass faster and faster :) ...but for the most part you're unlikely to be buying even mvs just as a means to play, but because you enjoy everything about these technological and cultural relics. And there are of course, amoungst the rest of us hoarders, a few people who genuinely do us all a service in documenting and preserving these gems.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you're asking how people can afford AES carts, then you should maybe think about your own situation and not worry about others.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Only buy stuff you will actually play. Then it doesn't hurt so bad when you spend a little more for your must have titles. If you're not ever going to play it, you probably don't need it. Also, MAME is awesome. You can use it to demo titles before you buy, play the games you simply can't afford or simply make a nice rombox setup.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
I actually don't buy many games anymore. I have enough to last me the next 10 years or so + anything new coming out that looks fun.

When I do buy I try to do economical buying. Either really cheap, or big lots of stuff that have some things I want, but I can resell or trade off the rest for stuff I do want or recoup some expenses.

You'd be amazed how much money you can save daily by just getting stuff on sale, using coupons, and brown bagging your lunch. I used to eat a lot of take-away and buying things like coffees and soda from vending machines daily and that adds up really fast. If you spend a dollar a day on buying a soda or god forbid some elaborate coffee, you can save 200-300 dollars a year or more. That's a pretty pricey game just for a really simple easy change.

What I take away from this thread is that no one is willing to admit that they spend absurd amounts of money on games.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
What I take away from this thread is that no one is willing to admit that they spend absurd amounts of money on games.

I think the amount of spending is subjective. What may seem like a lot to others might not be much to some.

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
I only bought the MVS games and system because their prices are much more reasonable than on AES.

As time went on I realized that for the most part what I play are the King of Fighters games, so I would think about it very carefully before I bought any other Neo Geo games besides them.

I play SNK vs Capcom, Garou, and The Last Fight once in a while.

I believe the King of Fighters series came into its own on 1997. I cannot get used to the control on the earlier Kings of Fighters. Out of all the MVS King of Fighters from 97 to 2003, I have them all except 2001. I will probably buy 2001 at some point.

I play King of Fighters, either on real hardware or emulated on the GCW Zero, often. That's how I deal with my addiction.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I funnel my other collection's efforts into NeoGeo, sell a few premium games for whatever system, get one AES in turn.
Addiction, not quite, but I do enjoy the hunt.

I don't feel too bad spending 500 or less, because history shows they will maintain value.

People go and spend 60 on Madden 20xx every year, which will devalue to 2 dollars quickly, now that's silly!

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I'm thinking about getting some MVS shit at the Neo store is that a good idea like selling Meth to College students? You know I'm joking around.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Jut buy the inserts if you're a shelf queen, you'll never know the difference! :p

Don't brush your teeth immediately before or after, don't let it wallow, swish with alcohol or mouthwash in between jobs. :emb:

Seriously though, sell stuff on eBay. If it's sitting in a box, garage or stored away you're not enjoying it. Let someone else enjoy it and buy what you want in the now. We never really own anything anyway, we're just the keepers in the meantime. :)