How do you support your Neo Geo addiction?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's perfectly fine to be into the Neo and not buy $500 games. This isn't Pokemon, you don't have to catch em all. I've sold a lot of crap, but I've had the majority of the good Neo games in one format or another at some point and have never spent more than $100 on any single game.

At the end of the day, they're just games, man.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The new NG Dev game is $450? Sweet! I have a $500 limit credit card!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Seriously though, sell stuff on eBay. If it's sitting in a box, garage or stored away you're not enjoying it. Let someone else enjoy it and buy what you want in the now. We never really own anything anyway, we're just the keepers in the meantime. :)

Bingo. I've been selling off my collection quite nicely over the last few years as I got fed up with dust collecting. I've had quite a few highly prized items from the Nintendo community and a few other odds and ends too I've let go of. It has paid for a lot of things I do enjoy, the recent being my MVS+10games pickup, and before that was my home use Pin-Bot pinball machine, before that was an overkill level clevo(DIY no solder all socketed) gaming laptop with the 980 nvidia chip, nvidia shield tablet (stylus version), a couple other lower tier laptops before, a nexus7 that ate it before the shield, some 80s/90s lego, g1 transformers, randomness, and even getting some Sega goodies too.

Get rid of the shit, get what you want, win win win. Lose the junk, gain some space, gain something you will use.

Zhar Johnson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Bought Neo Stuffs 10 years ago and now selling off stuffs and doing odd jobs is where it's at for me. I no longer buy neo stuffs except for Kraut Busters but that was ages ago when i had dough.

Bingo. I've been selling off my collection quite nicely over the last few years as I got fed up with dust collecting. I've had quite a few highly prized items from the Nintendo community and a few other odds and ends too I've let go of. It has paid for a lot of things I do enjoy, the recent being my MVS+10games pickup, and before that was my home use Pin-Bot pinball machine, before that was an overkill level clevo(DIY no solder all socketed) gaming laptop with the 980 nvidia chip, nvidia shield tablet (stylus version), a couple other lower tier laptops before, a nexus7 that ate it before the shield, some 80s/90s lego, g1 transformers, randomness, and even getting some Sega goodies too.

Get rid of the shit, get what you want, win win win. Lose the junk, gain some space, gain something you will use.[/QUOTE

grimmythereaper

Quiz Detective
i have snk games in one form or another, metal slug on xbox, kof on ps2, I mainly get things that have a special place in my heart for my AES like Magian lord and Ghost pilots. Everything else I save up for, I try not spend more then 300 on one game.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
First off, Gunlord is a good game. But at the same time it does not feel like a Neo Geo game. It sounds like you already have some other MVS games so you have likely seen the difference first hand yourself.

I started with AES (a few years ago) and I was able to get some really good games for good prices but there were a lot of games I could not get.

I then found a Big Red and sold all my AES stuff and put the money into MVS.

I should have listened to the advice I got right here on neo-geo.com and started with MVS in the first place.

Regardless of what other more expensive games go for a $450 game is still crazy expensive. Only you can say if you can afford it and deep down you know if you should splurge or not. I bought CS2 and pre-ordered Kraut Buster so I'm on the crazy boat (a few more purchases like that and I'll be first mate!). But I had the cash on hand, no debt and some savings.

What helps a lot is that most times you could turn around and sell these games for what they cost you. You've got an out so long as you can wait for a buyer.

Personally I'm close to pulling the trigger on the MVS reprint of Gunlord. So tempting... so expensive...

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
My fighters are AES since it's mostly on the affordable side. All my shooters like the slug series, blazing star, shock troopers 2 etc etc are in MVS since AES version is out of my price range.

I'm happy and content with this collection approach since both are original SNK

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My fighters are AES since it's mostly on the affordable side. All my shooters like the slug series, blazing star, shock troopers 2 etc etc are in MVS since AES version is out of my price range.

This is a fine mix and I love the conceptual side of it. Just too bad, that you'll still have some exceptions, i.e. games that are expensive on both, like Waku or Pulstar. But a bit of a challenge can also serve your motivation and besides, any collection should have some flamboyant pieces.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
First off, Gunlord is a good game. But at the same time it does not feel like a Neo Geo game. It sounds like you already have some other MVS games so you have likely seen the difference first hand yourself.

I started with AES (a few years ago) and I was able to get some really good games for good prices but there were a lot of games I could not get.

I then found a Big Red and sold all my AES stuff and put the money into MVS.

I should have listened to the advice I got right here on neo-geo.com and started with MVS in the first place.

Regardless of what other more expensive games go for a $450 game is still crazy expensive. Only you can say if you can afford it and deep down you know if you should splurge or not. I bought CS2 and pre-ordered Kraut Buster so I'm on the crazy boat (a few more purchases like that and I'll be first mate!). But I had the cash on hand, no debt and some savings.

What helps a lot is that most times you could turn around and sell these games for what they cost you. You've got an out so long as you can wait for a buyer.

Personally I'm close to pulling the trigger on the MVS reprint of Gunlord. So tempting... so expensive...

Strangely enough, this is one of the main reasons I wanted it for the MVS rather than the Dreamcast. As much as I love the NG library of games, I always felt like certain genres were either lacking or completely missing. Being able to play a Turrican like game on my MVS just sounds fucking awesome.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
I personally keep my AES cart budget under 500 bucks. Lol I try and focus more on MVS so that I don't get bummed out on the pricier cart's that are beyond my budget for now. I mostly support my Neo Geo collecting the good old fashioned way like most of us do, holding down my 8 to 5 and putting a little cash away for my games each earned paycheck.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have a rule for buying games: If the cart only version costs more than the cabinet that it's being played in, I down't buy it.

When I first started collecting, I was looking for deals and buying pretty rapidly to build up a decent lineup and using a multicart (that came with my cab) in the meantime. If I received a bonus check from work, I would splurge and get a handful of games all at once. There was a week that I got a new package of Neo Geo goodness every day. That doesn't happen much these days.

Cart purchasing is not something that I do daily, weekly, or even once a month. It tapers off once that you get the games you love to play. Then it becomes a waiting game. Looking for something new and hunting it. That's almost as much fun as the games themselves.

Nothing quite as satisfying as tracking a game for a few months/years and then finally getting a copy in hand.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
I only buy mvs. Since I do not care about the box art on neo games it saves my wallet.

But like many have said. They started collecting when the scene wasn't so expensive. When you guys cough up ridiculous amounts of money on games you fuck the market up.

Example. I came across ganryu for Mvs. It's a decent game. It's not 300-350$ good. But after seeing people offer me that kind of money I'm hesitant to let it go. If I ever had to replace it it would end up costing me more by then.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
hahaha. I was just fucking around. Don't do it.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Lol had a family member do it a long time ago for some quick cash. I dont think he made much though.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Selling plasma gets you about $35-50/session and they prefer that you go for 5 sessions in 30 days. The price ends up on the high end of that scale the more you go.
Spoiler:

raw

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Selling plasma gets you about $35-50/session and they prefer that you go for 5 sessions in 30 days. The price ends up on the high end of that scale the more you go.
Spoiler:

raw

Well i was contemplating it but this inner voice said dont. I never knew my inner voice was a bald black guy.....

In my case, when I started in 1992, I was a student so I had bought a Gold System console with a friend of mine. Also, we bought our first game Fatal Fury 2 together for 325$ CAD which represented a small fortune back then. That was the hard time to support the addiction, then, when I came back to the AES, early 2000, I had a job and the price were not that high so I was able to buy(mostly here) almost frequently. Now after a 7 years hiatus mainly for having a family, I'm having a well paid job but the prices have skyrocketed so I've started buying MVS and a MVS converter. I'm not a big seller but maybe I'll start considering letting go some AES stuff in the future to pursue more MVS titles. We'll see.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I would say keep a look out on the forums and don't be so quick to jump on the first price you see for a game. Find out the definitive games that YOU really would like to have sitting on your shelf and being played in your console.

Furthermore, I have always been an arcade geek so I ended up buying a big red from a local arcade and begin buying MVS titles from fellow collectors on the forums and my local arcade. Buying Shock Boxes and artwork from Southtown Homebrew gives me the same feel as owning an AES version of the game, and I still get that ability to relive the arcade experience that I have always loved.

Finally, enjoy the hobby and try not to think so much about how much things will or won't be worth in the future.

Last edited: