PS2 Slim Ribbon Cable Scratches Disc (edit: with pictures)

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Hey guys, I am having problems with my PS2 slim killing my disc via the ribbon cable. This is a know issue, but I haven't read a sure fire way to fix it. For those who do not know, the ribbon cable "bows up" higher than it should and makes a real nice circular scratch in the disc. Anyone have any tips on how to get the ribbon cable to stay down?

EDIT: Pictures added in post below

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Hey guys, I am having problems with my PS2 slim killing my disc via the ribbon cable. This is a know issue, but I haven't read a sure fire way to fix it. For those who do not know, the ribbon cable "bows up" higher than it should and makes a real nice circular scratch in the disc. Anyone have any tips on how to get the ribbon cable to stay down?

I've never seen this, what model PS2 slim?

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I think it is a problem in every model slim except the very last revision (90001?) I will try and take some pics in a little while

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Ok here are some pics. This is what the ribbon cable looks like when the laser is positioned toward the back on the console:

image1(19).JPG

And this is the aftermath on a disc:

image2(9).JPG

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've had a few ps2 slims and never seen that before. Also never had one scratch my discs like that. If I seen a scratch like that caused by one of my consoles, I would break it in half and never use that console design again.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Fold and pinch the ribbon cable so that it bends AWAY from the disc of its own accord.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I've had a few ps2 slims and never seen that before. Also never had one scratch my discs like that. If I seen a scratch like that caused by one of my consoles, I would break it in half and never use that console design again.

Apparently the console was shut down and the laser was left in a position that caused the ribbon to bow up and stay in that position. I would honestly get rid of this system after this but just a year or so ago I had a member here mod it and would prefer to keep it.

@DNSDies: I have tried this but it still will not stay. I almost keep an adhesive to fold part of the ribbon inward and stick it to the bottom. Something like gorilla glue but makes less of a mess.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
You might need to replace the cable then, or use some heat and a curved vice to re-bend it back into the proper shape.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I took another look at this thing today trying to the fix it, and in looks like the ribbon cable has actually somehow came "unglued" from the console itself, giving that extra length causing it do bow up. You are right DNS, looks like I will have to find someone to replace this ribbon cable.