IT happened. Yes, that..."IT". 360 is in the living room - sujjeschuns

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Greetings,

Well, my girls are at grandma's this week and my boys are here with me and my wife. For 3 straight days the boys have been wanting to play 360 in the living room.

We don't have a 360 in the living room. We have a Wii U and and N64. So, I pull out the N64 carts and have them pick a couple.

Then tonight - something I knew was coming. "Dad...i'm sorry. These games are just...not really fun, y'know? Can we please put the 360 out here?"

I've known for awhile they play NES/SNES/N64 to appease me, or because I hype them up with history and my experiences, and they can find some enjoyment (briefly) that way, but always given a choice - they want 360, or Wii / Wii U, or even Gamecube, but they never specifically request those cart based systems.

So, tonight I realize these are their experiences and these are the games they are growing up with - it's time to stop forcing my memories on them and let them have their own.

So - my 360 library is pretty small. I have like 15 games. The CAVE shooters, most of the fighters (injustice, mvc3, sfivae, sfxtekken, battle fantasia, blazblu x2, arcana heart and I think that's it), and Halo Reach.

What is out there that isn't on Wii/Wii U and is very good and relatively safe (no more violent than Halo, no sex stuff). My boys prefer action/adventure stuff.

My girls prefer puzzle and light rpg stuff (by light rpg, not Fire Emblem etc, think Stardew Valley or Minecraft type of games)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Let me see what I got that is kid friendly and I'll try to send you some games. And no, you don't get to say no :lolz:

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
how old are your girls? you should try to get them into some magical girl dungeon crawlers or something i wish i would have at a younger age. not sure how many of them rely on hentai sensibilities tho

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've got these two, boys should dig these and they are time sinks.
e3afa1a183ab88b65c020d83f1406704.jpg

If you're cool with these ill get them out on Saturday.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My kids also much prefer modern games. If only we could somehow convince 20-something hipsters to stick with their own generation of games..... ;)

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I've got these two, boys should dig these and they are time sinks.
e3afa1a183ab88b65c020d83f1406704.jpg

If you're cool with these ill get them out on Saturday.

That Banjo game is pretty cool. They'll need to invest some time in the vehicule customization part of the game but that's where all the fun is.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
My kids also much prefer modern games. If only we could somehow convince 20-something hipsters to stick with their own generation of games..... ;)

And that is games from the '90s???

But anyway, how about a racing game? I'm sure they would have fun with an arcadey racer like Burnout or Need for Speed. Plus I'm sure they would enjoy pimping out the cars with body kits and decal work.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
They would love both of those dude - awesome gesture. The Banjo games are two of their favs on 64, but of course the clunky 3D makes it not as good as it could be. I'll def. take you up on that man - appreciate it.

Sylvie - my girls are 13 and 6. The 13 yo is very specific - she either loves or hates stuff. Usually hates. A few she's liked: Safecracker, Cities Skylines, Minecraft, and The Room.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Don't feel too bad, Mike! All things considered, the 360 is actually a pretty great system, no matter what kind of gamer you are. How old are your boys? I have all kinds of 360 stuff I've been too lazy to get rid of, but I think most of it probably isn't appropriate for younger kids.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Maybe some sports games? Madden and NHL series tend to be great fun with others, any of those games could be found for a couple of bucks used these days on the 360. Plants vs zombies garden warfare is a fun shooter that is very safe, im not sure if the servers are still up but if your just looking for a fun shooter for offline multiplayer its a good choice.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
The love PvZ - we've played it on PSN and they beat it including all mini games, etc. Garden Warfare i'm 99.9% sure isn't playable off-line and i've never taken my 360 online. I remember buying it either on PS3 or 360 at launch and we couldn't play it - literally, couldn't play it w/o online service. As for sports games - if exclusive, then maybe yeah, but more looking for the "safe" gems that aren't going to be found on PS3 or Wii.

Gohan - 10 and 8. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance and Halo Reach are the top of the boundaries. Batman Arkham was a no-go as was Blue Stinger (on DC) even. Anything with heavy cursing, sexual innuendo are strong no-go zones. Mom is ok w/animated violence to an extent (like the 2 I mentioned) but beyond that...nopers.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
I know you're saying 360 but I think PS3 has some great stuff on it that's pretty economical and pretty kid friendly like the Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet and Clank Collections.

Of course those are also on PS2 individually, but theres the PS3 Ratchet and Clank Future Series that has a bunch of games too.

-edit-
Most of the Spiderman games are probably pretty safe. I haven't played much of them, but you can pickup Spiderman 3 (should be dirt cheap too, came out early in 360 life), Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions, and Spiderman: Web of Shadows were pretty fun iirc.

Most cape-shit should be fairly enjoyable and kid friendly. Although I can't really speak for movie-tie in games as those are pretty notorious for poor quality.

N64 is kind of a mixed bag in terms of quality, and compared to modern stuff it looks pretty bad. I mostly just use my N64 for nostalgia bombing with friends on stuff like Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party.

I think another facet of wanting to play modern stuff is relating to their friends. I know back when I was in elementary school everyone was playing SNES and Gameboy Colour and if you had a Sega Genesis no one could really relate to you. Might want to ask your kids and see what their friends are playing and make some decisions based on that.

But regardless, if you own a 360 you should own Sneak King. Greatest stealth game ever made.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Mike, I have several 360 they might want let me dig tonight and see. I think a few are still sealed I'll let you know what I got.

Oh and get ready, xsq is going to be disappointed in you lol. :shame:

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
There's also a lot of good games out on XBLA they might enjoy. Sega stuff like Crazy Taxi, Nights, Jet Set Radio. There used to be alot of demos for them to try somethings before you buy.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
My nephew (8 yo) loves the lego dimensions game. Goes bananas for it.

My daughter (13) loves minecraft, fez, blazblue, guilty gear, persona 4 arena, bioshock infinite, battle fantasia, and occasionally some kinect dance games. I've noticed that she'll want to try anything with cutesy anime characters in it too.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Lots for the kiddos to dig thru and explore on xbla. Some of the JP indie games are especially nyce.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I like castle Crashers for 4p action, no clue if your Kids like beat em ups, how about a Kinect and dancing Star :)

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Don't they like racing games? The Forza games are the ones that i remember and are pretty decent. Also cheap if you want to buy them.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah I was gonna say arcade racers.

Need for Speed or Burnout.

Lots to do, fast and pretty good looking.

The Skate series?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
My four year old and I play Mortal Kombat X.

#fatheroftheyear

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Maybe you can try and look for the Viva Piñata games, those are pretty nice and they might like it :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Kameo: Elements of Power is a nice 360 exclusive, maybe a bit overachieving tho. Beautiful Katamari could make for some fun, so could 'Splosion Man -- there's a Tetris (The Grand Master Ace), too. For the Kinect, I recommend Sonic Free Riders.

All in all, the 360 is a great system, indeed... just not for puzzle and light rpg stuff. In this respect, both Wiis are all one needs for kids.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
So, tonight I realize these are their experiences and these are the games they are growing up with - it's time to stop forcing my memories on them and let them have their own.
giphy.gif

Do they like Ghost Busters? I played that the last couple of days and it's pretty great.
If you're OK with XBLA Outlander is neat - short game, but kinda like Strider with some twists...
Skate 2 (terry.330 beat me to it) is pretty cool too (best in the series imho), don't know if your kids would be into that though.
The two Star Wars: The Force Unleashed games were alright, might be a little too violent, but I think it shoudln't cross the line.
Like Caliburn89 said, Spider Man: Shattered Dimensions is fun and safe.
_rm_ mentioned Forza... Horizon has an arcadey feel to it, is easy to learn and lots of fun (good soundtrack, too).
I don't remember if it was kid safe (can't recall any blood), but you could check out Crackdown - very cartoonie, open world, think GTA with superpowers and less dirty...

Oh and get ready, xsq is going to be disappointed in you lol. :shame:
mjmjr25 gets away with everything.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Forcefeed Dark Souls 1 to them and watch them cry... on a more serious note: i think there are lot's of Lego games on the 360. Maybe if you let them play the Lego Star Wars game they will like it and maybe they will enjoy the movies too because of it.

Last edited: