Boston tips and tricks

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've only seen them at some place in Fanueli Hall (so yeah, the most touristy of touristy) when I visited there like 10 years ago. I assumed they were still a thing, but never looked for them as I'm not going to travel somewhere and eat beans.

Edit: I've also had a lot of excellent fish and chips there, though that's not exactly unique to Boston obviously.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
One last question, any specialty foods to eat in Boston? Aside from the creme pies. Thanks again folks

Bar food, Boston has a lot of bars and pubs; and a lot of those pubs have good bar food. I'm sure someone on the forums can mention some specific bars.

And as people mentioned above: Chowdah. You've got three varieties.

* New England Clam Chowder, it uses a milk based broth. Personally I don't remember the last time I had it at a restaurant, this is something I usually only have in the winter when someone in my family makes it (takes usually the whole day to make it right).

* Manhattan Clam Chowder, don't let the name fool you. This is from Rhode Island, its tomato based... its called Manhattan as an insult, but I find its more reliable in taste than New England.

* Rhode Island Clam Chowder, avoid this... its a water based broth, and its horrible.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
ya know how when you eat the donuts from dunkies they get stuck right here?

Well Kane's melts like butter. oh honey you've never lived to you had kane's.

So yes, lonesage. I recommend spending your vacation in Saugus. Lot's of motels. You can divide your time between the square one mall and various stores on route 1 during the 18 hours a day Kane's spends closed.

coffee-mug-6.gif

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
As it turned out, we didn't spend our entire time in Boston. We stayed with mom's friend in Clinton, which was a really cool small town (to me, at least). Only 13,000 people there but there's a world-class Museum of Russian Icons with artifacts from 1500s and 1600s right out there in the open, as well as a beautiful reservoir and dam from 100+ years ago. And apparently the world's oldest, continuously-used baseball diamond.

We ended up doing day trips everyday, to Boston, Salem and Concord (Minute Man National Park was great, so much history).

The only thing we did in Boston was whale watching, which the guide ended up freaking about because the whales were out all at once and made for an amazing sight, she said it was easily top 10 of the season, seeing a game at Fenway Park and walking the Freedom Trail which was good enough for me.

Thanks to all the serious replies and advice, most of which I didn't end up using because it turned out we weren't in Boston the entire time.

I thought this trip would've been kinda gay but it was really fucking cool. I never cared about Boston at all before but it's a great city. Fuck the parking fees, though.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
i think clinton has the highest number of bars per capita in the state. having worked there for about a year i can see why. glad you had fun. boston is the best (as long as you don't have to pay to live inside city limits)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i think clinton has the highest number of bars per capita in the state. having worked there for about a year i can see why.

It seems like a nice place to die. I looked at the local newspaper and there was a page dedicated to what cops were doing. The first item on the list was "2:30AM, called for suspicious activity on adult male, turns out he was playing Pokemon Go. Was told to call it a night."

There was also a gorgeous church that looked plain on the outside but could rival some of the world's best on the inside. Just really interesting small town America right there.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
As it turned out, we didn't spend our entire time in Boston. We stayed with mom's friend in Clinton, which was a really cool small town (to me, at least). Only 13,000 people there but there's a world-class Museum of Russian Icons with artifacts from 1500s and 1600s right out there in the open, as well as a beautiful reservoir and dam from 100+ years ago. And apparently the world's oldest, continuously-used baseball diamond.

We ended up doing day trips everyday, to Boston, Salem and Concord (Minute Man National Park was great, so much history).

The only thing we did in Boston was whale watching, which the guide ended up freaking about because the whales were out all at once and made for an amazing sight, she said it was easily top 10 of the season, seeing a game at Fenway Park and walking the Freedom Trail which was good enough for me.

Thanks to all the serious replies and advice, most of which I didn't end up using because it turned out we weren't in Boston the entire time.

I thought this trip would've been kinda gay but it was really fucking cool. I never cared about Boston at all before but it's a great city. Fuck the parking fees, though.

Did you get to go inside any of the houses at Minute Man? And did you see Emerson's grave... rock?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Oh yeah a bunch of houses. Went to the Old Manse where Emerson and Nat Hawthorne used to live.

So, so many nice houses all over.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
There was also a gorgeous church that looked plain on the outside but could rival some of the world's best on the inside. Just really interesting small town America right there.

the whole economy of the town is basically built on one factory that used to be privately owned and a pretty great place to work that took care of its employees. now it's part of some megaconglomo and.. the rest is history. it's a shame because the reservoir and surrounding area is really really nice

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
the whole economy of the town is basically built on one factory that used to be privately owned and a pretty great place to work that took care of its employees. now it's part of some megaconglomo and.. the rest is history. it's a shame because the reservoir and surrounding area is really really nice

Town I grew up was the same, all centered around a factory until the textile industry went to the south.