Garou: Mark of the Wolves coming to PS4 / Vita

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The anthology was shit on ps2 in the first place. Laggy ports. LB2 Ps4 plays fabulously (input lag wise, netcode well...) so we should be receiving at least that level of care thanks to Code Monkeys involvement again.

Yeah, what he said. I picked up the Anthology on PS4 also figuring they had fixed the PS2's lag problem. Nope, it's awful. The separate PS4 Metal Slug 3 release feels great though.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The anthology was shit on ps2 in the first place. Laggy ports. LB2 Ps4 plays fabulously (input lag wise, netcode well...) so we should be receiving at least that level of care thanks to Code Monkeys involvement again.

I just got LB2 and you're right, it is good. Good to hear its the same people doing Garou. Another game that I tried was KOF 2000 and I didn't notice to much lag in that either.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Thank you Code Mystics. For years I have wondered what games on the OG xbox would play like online with modern netspeed. I wonder no more.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Anyone tried this online yet? I played through it a couple times in single player but haven't tried any humans yet.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
Can anyone vouch for the quality of this re release compared to the original running on original MVS or AES hardware. Unfortunately I never had the chance to play it old school and was wondering. The PS4/Vita version is playing great so far for me though.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
How's this play on the Vita? That's what I'd be interested in since I could just play it on MVS or Fightcade at home.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Can anyone vouch for the quality of this re release compared to the original running on original MVS or AES hardware. Unfortunately I never had the chance to play it old school and was wondering. The PS4/Vita version is playing great so far for me though.

It plays well. There is a touch of lag, but that's probably coming from my TV and not the PS4 itself, but that's going to be unavoidable without a HDMI CRT.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

I've been comparing this version with my aes cart and haven't noticed anything that stands out just yet. Any perceivable input lag was resolved with the usual tweaks needed for modern displays (game mode settings, disable display bells and whistles, input label marked as "pc", etc). I plan to test the throw escape bug, etc and compare game speed.

Edit: accidental caps

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The game is available on Steam now too.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I take it this will also work on Playstation TV since it plays the Vita library (save for the titles that require device specific features)

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
wow, a port for vita worth getting finally. i might grab this at some point soon

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Personally it fels like a 1-2 frame delay compared to fightcade, 360 versions on the same tv. This might be because of the filters they use that you can disable.

The online is bad. You want to keep it below 100m/s or it studders a lot. I had a match at 56m/s and we kept desyncing every few matches or so. It feels like an OG Xbox netcode game personally. somewhere between Street Fighter Anniversary and KOF Neowave.

The plus on this it lets you wait in arcade mode or practice mode for matches. When you get interrupted for a fight and you decide against the match the game will put you back where you exactly left off a'la DOA 5 rather then making you start from scratch like KOF XIII or restart the round like SFIV. Looks like the art gallery from the older ports are in there. Suprisingly they made this from the ground up rather then just porting the 360 version. Taking away the poor netcode you can see they took time porting this one.

Last edited:

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Just bought this and I'm pretty pleased. Input lag is pretty minimal, and everything seems to run just fine. I love the fact that you can set the scanlines to 100%. That's my main complaint about the KOF 2000 port - scanlines were way too light and they freaking used bilinear filtering that you can't turn off. I can't comment on the Netcode just yet but overall the game is very good.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Scott, KOF2000 was a PS2 on PS4 release, just like SamshoVI. LB2 and MTOW are ported from the ground up, very different.

I think both ports are great, can't seem to get matches online though but I'm on wifi and it sucks so I can't comment on this aspect fairly.

Or someone could just make a version of fightcade that runs native on Skycurser's Airframe or a similar Jamma board. Plug and play fightcade on your arcade cab in the proper resolution and everything. All you'd need is a new GUI and some proper optimization / testing to make sure all your emulation is working right and at the right resolutions for arcade monitors.

This would be incredible. I managed to setup my fightcade rig into my Naomi Uni and it worked awesome, a Jamma setup would be amazing.

Edit: MS3 was pretty good too!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I had a few online matches last night, all were horrible. I was playing in slow motion.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
So I've been playing it for a few hours now on the PSTV. Here are my take aways:

- It's a pretty faithful port of the original and visually is pretty great on a 4K upscaled display. However, there isn't any sprite flickering when in T.O.P. Mode

- Updated menus, theme and art pack are nice

- Lack of USB controller support means playing with a Dualshock controller. After spending most of my time playing on a cab, it takes a bit of adjustment. Luckily this shouldn't be an issue on the PS4.

- C+D mapped to L1 = riding L1 as Grant through story mode. Doing this can cause slowdowns.

-Defaulting the difficulty level to MVS is appreciated. Unlike the iOS port that knows that playing fighters on your phone kinda sucks.

- I tried a few times to start a multiplayer game. Connection failed each time. I was able to finally play a few matches. Sub 100ms matches play pretty spot on. Most people I tried to connect with however had ~200ms lag. Slow. Ass. Shit.

Overall it's a decent enough version that is superior compared to the mobile versions but falls short in a few areas compared to the classic MVS/AES releases. If you don't have the original, this would wet most players appetite. If you are all about the online play, this may be decent on the PS4. Hardwired. On both ends.

Last edited:

Slithis

n00b
- Lack of USB controller support means playing with a Dualshock controller. After spending most of my time playing on a cab, it takes a bit of adjustment. Luckily this shouldn't be an issue on the PS4.

Ah that sucks, so you can't use a PS3 Fight Stick?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, the pstv is an ass about using other controllers. You can get converters to make it work, but it's probably not worth it.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Ah that sucks, so you can't use a PS3 Fight Stick?
So far, it seems that the only working fightsticks on the PSTV are Qanba sticks that pretend to be Dualshock 3 controllers. The two sticks that I have work great on the Mac, Wii and PS3 but the PSTV won't even look at it.

You can get converters to make it work, but it's probably not worth it.
Think that this might be a good buy to pair with this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089OBLD...0e-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P01-V01-O1-T2-EVAL-M4EASK

Last edited:

Lupin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
FYI On the PS4 it supports PS3 and PS4 fight sticks. Sorry if this has been posted already