Power supply solution for HAS/MAK/etc compact superguns

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This isn't exactly groundbreaking tech work here, but after my previous thread about wanting to enclose the Happ PSU I was using I decided to go another route. The requirements were pretty simple, a compact arcade quality PSU that supplies all the necessary voltages, has adjustable +5V, has a power switch and doesn't leave any bare 110V connections exposed.

Enter the Happ 80-0002-10.

80-0002-10-V1.jpg

It had everything I needed, so I picked one up on EBay. I bought this one from user "classicgamerooms" but there are others as well, just be careful Happ makes a couple power supplies that look like this, some are $80, don't overpay and some users sell this exact one in the $70-80 range. I paid $41 shipped.

The power leads for the HAS are terminated with spade connectors meant to hook up to a regular arcade PSU, so I ordered a set of 9-pin Molex connectors/pins to wire up my own connector that would hook up to the Happ PSU. The Happ takes regular 9-pin Molex w/.093" pins, easy to find on EBay or elsewhere. A few minutes of strippin' and crimpin' later I was ready to go. The leads on both the PSU and the HAS are labelled so it's a simple matter of matching up the pins correctly. Another bonus of this PSU is that is has an extra set of power cables so if you're using a NAOMI NetDIMM setup with a supergun you can make a Molex<->JVS power cable and power everything from one power supply.

I'll throw some pics up tomorrow, hopefully anyone else looking for a neat PSU setup for a HAS or other similar supergun will find this useful.

Last edited:

madman

This power supply has 3.3vdc?

Negatory. I've been looking at some of the 5v->3.3v options as that was my plan, probably should've specified that. Not sure which to settle on yet.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Negatory. I've been looking at some of the 5v->3.3v options as that was my plan, probably should've specified that. Not sure which to settle on yet.

Cool homie, I just saw you say about a naomi setup...

madman

Cool homie, I just saw you say about a naomi setup...

Yeah I haven't gone that far yet, I'm still using a Sun PSU in my setup. It remains to be seen if any of the commonly available 5v->3.3v circuits can pump out the current needed by the NAOMI. Consider that part a work in progress, maybe I should edit that out. (With a ".").

madman

I haven't done much research on this, so hopefully nobody links to this info and calls me a dumbass (though I would appreciate the info), but I'm wondering how much current the Capcom IO puts out on the 3.3v line. Based on that thread it looks like the NetDIMM requires ~2A more than just a NAOMI + cart. Of course I could be overthinking all of this and a simple regulator might just be all that's needed when I've already got plenty of current coming from the Happ PSU.