Stranger Things - Netflix Series

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
I'm 3.5 episodes in. I'll probably finish it this weekend. Until then, I'll keep avoiding spoilers.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I kept seeing this thread get bumped and knew nothing about this show (didn't even know it is a show). After watching the first episode, holy shit am I impressed. Damn Netflix is on fire with the original programming these days!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I kept seeing this thread get bumped and knew nothing about this show (didn't even know it is a show). After watching the first episode, holy shit am I impressed. Damn Netflix is on fire with the original programming these days!

I took my time with this show. 1 ep per day limit. Great stuff, would watch again.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Someone made a supercut pointing out references to other films (contains spoilers, obviously)
https://vimeo.com/175929311

I wish they had used practical effects for the specific thing that broke the immersion, though. I suppose it was a budget thing, so I can forgive it, but now that a second season is confirmed, I hope they go with practical effects more. they mesh much better with the feel of the series.

It works for environments, especially how they used it in some parts, but not for moving "living" things.

^ This was my biggest gripe, as well. CGI can really rip you right out of the 80's aesthetic

I took my time with this show. 1 ep per day limit. Great stuff, would watch again.

I did the same thing, one episode a day up until episode 6 when I couldn't resist and just sat back and let autoplay do its thing.

Funny story: My girlfriend came out of the bathroom and said "I was thinking about Stranger Things and the light in the bathroom started flickering!" and I kinda laughed it off. The next day I was getting ready for work and my mind drifted to the show, and when it did the light started flickering and making that clicking noise! :eek: We never noticed it flickering since we moved in, and it hasn't flickered since. Freaky. Then a few days later I saw this: http://imgur.com/gallery/cyzR4mO

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
While I don't know exactly what Lovecraftian means.

But the influences of Lovecraft are pretty obvious.

Not to mention the writings of Clark Ashton Smith and Dean R. Koontz.

Conversely, the monster and its domain really has much more in common with the Silent Hill franchise's plot devices, visual motifs, & general mood.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
It was a good show, but I don't think they need to continue with a second season, leave it be and keep it a cult classic. A few things were left unanswered and I wasn't a fan of what they did with Will. Really, what good would a second season bring, more walkie talkies and BMX bikes?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It was a good show, but I don't think they need to continue with a second season, leave it be and keep it a cult classic. A few things were left unanswered and I wasn't a fan of what they did with Will. Really, what good would a second season bring, more walkie talkies and BMX bikes?

I'd be fine if they continued the series, but not necessarily a direct sequel.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

A second season won't ruin the magic of the 1st.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I'd prefer they do each season separate with individual stories that have little to do with each other. I love the 80's setting though...

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Just finished the 4th episode and I'm hooked. Pacing is friggin' excellent and the direction is perfect. Everything really 'sits' at a moment and lets things unfold naturally. Great stuff so far!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm in the middle of watching this now and will probably see the final 2 episodes tonight hopefully. I'm enjoying it, but probably would have been more impressed if we hadn't already gotten an above average ET redux a few years back with Super 8. Especially since I think I might like the Super 8 kids more overall.

I also can't decide whether it's a good thing this show wears its influences on its sleeve so prominently, although it was fun noticing all the movie posters and stuff at first.

Still a very fun show, though. But the other thing I can't stop thinking about while watching it is feeling sad for Mathew Modine. He spent the majority of his career being a low-rent John Cusack, and now he's already an old man. :( He's not a bad actor; who knows what kind of career he could have had if Cusack hadn't been around?

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I'm in the middle of watching this now and will probably see the final 2 episodes tonight hopefully. I'm enjoying it, but probably would have been more impressed if we hadn't already gotten an above average ET redux a few years back with Super 8. Especially since I think I might like the Super 8 kids more overall.

I also can't decide whether it's a good thing this show wears its influences on its sleeve so prominently, although it was fun noticing all the movie posters and stuff at first.

Still a very fun show, though. But the other thing I can't stop thinking about while watching it is feeling sad for Mathew Modine. He spent the majority of his career being a low-rent John Cusack, and now he's already an old man. :( He's not a bad actor; who knows what kind of career he could have had if Cusack hadn't been around?

I haven't seen Super 8 but since you mentioned those kids being better overall, what's your thought about these kids? My spouse hates how much infighting they display, especially in Episodes 5 and 6 where the group seems to unravel. Kids can be so evil to each other sometimes. :P

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I haven't seen Super 8 but since you mentioned those kids being better overall, what's your thought about these kids? My spouse hates how much infighting they display, especially in Episodes 5 and 6 where the group seems to unravel. Kids can be so evil to each other sometimes. :P

I actually found it to be quite realistic. having one good friend, you rarely fight (at least I didn't). When you make it a group, the dynamic changes. Growing up, I was a part of two different groups during different stages in my childhood. There was always infighting between one person or another.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Introducing a female into a group of close male friends usually causes friction.
Add to that the weird circumstances and what happened to the other friend and it becomes very reasonable.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Finally finished and I have to say that it episodes 7 and 8 were excellent. Great stuff overall, and Eleven is amazing. Everything came together so well!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finally finished and I have to say that it episodes 7 and 8 were excellent. Great stuff overall, and Eleven is amazing. Everything came together so well!

Children actors are a total crap shoot...I thought that all of them did a superb job, especially figuring that none of them are seasoned actors (not that I saw, anyway).

The entire show was just great from top to bottom...top notch work.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The problem with children is they group up. I dont think they will be able to cast these kids for much of a second season if it isn't shooting now.
These kids are already much older than they look, so time is really limited.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The problem with children is they group up. I dont think they will be able to cast these kids for much of a second season if it isn't shooting now.
These kids are already much older than they look, so time is really limited.

You can always set a second series 5 years later.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Someone mentioned that it could be like "IT" if they decided to do a second season years from then, which would be great.

Oh, and mad props to them for showcasing one of my favorite scenes from John Carpenter's "The Thing." A true classic in EVERY sense of the word.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Just finished the 4th episode and I'm hooked. Pacing is friggin' excellent and the direction is perfect. Everything really 'sits' at a moment and lets things unfold naturally. Great stuff so far!

Other than the second episode, where pacing and story progression slams on the brakes, pacing throughout is really good. I'm actually really happy, because I dug episode one a lot, then two sort of let me down. Was thinking, I might just pass on the rest of this, but sat down to three, four, five over the next few days and was hooked all over again.

Really great show. My concerns on the story being stretched thin really never materialized. This eight episode season was pretty damn near perfect, with only a few missteps here and there that are completely forgivable. Great series.