Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
This looks pretty cool, but I guess the devil is in the details. The main thing I am wondering about is what the quality of the video output will be like i.e. how will these low res games scale to HD and what video options will the device have (scanlines, filters etc). The other thing is the possibility of adding new games - granted its wishful thinking at this price point but it would seem a bit of an oversight to design quality hardware and then completely lock it down, without the possibility for the user to purchase new games from the eShop (either directly from the device or e.g. via a PC to then transfer to the device on USB / SD card). Would need to know some more details before purchasing.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This looks pretty cool, but I guess the devil is in the details. The main thing I am wondering about is what the quality of the video output will be like i.e. how will these low res games scale to HD and what video options will the device have (scanlines, filters etc). The other thing is the possibility of adding new games - granted its wishful thinking at this price point but it would seem a bit of an oversight to design quality hardware and then completely lock it down, without the possibility for the user to purchase new games from the eShop (either directly from the device or e.g. via a PC to then transfer to the device on USB / SD card). Would need to know some more details before purchasing.

I have done some more research on this.

According to the Nintendo UK website:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...ni-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system*, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller. And whether it痴 rediscovering an old favourite or experiencing the joy of NES for the first time, the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system should have something for all players.

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

It sounds like to me that the closest this thing will have to outside accessibility is a USB port and there is noway at this point to know if that is power only or if it can also be used for data. They also don't mention anything about wifi, so I guess no accessing the Nintendo store for Virtual Console purchases.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
all they needed on there was mario and zelda... but they give me castlevania and gaiden... and _____ and ____ and____?! Amazon, where's the preorder button. gi'me!

Simple HDMI box with a bunch of games that my kids can't destroy. Yes, this will be in the living room.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Every Nintendo console I've ever own has been hackable. This will be no different.

Every Nintendo console has some sort of input though...if this thing is self contained it would be far more difficult.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Every Nintendo console has some sort of input though...if this thing is self contained it would be far more difficult.

If it has a storage medium, and the contacts can be probed, it can be hacked.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If this plays anything like the Wii VC games then I'm in.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I have done some more research on this.

According to the Nintendo UK website:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...ni-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html

It sounds like to me that the closest this thing will have to outside accessibility is a USB port and there is noway at this point to know if that is power only or if it can also be used for data. They also don't mention anything about wifi, so I guess no accessing the Nintendo store for Virtual Console purchases.

Good find on that USB port, if its not power only then I guess there is hope.
But I am pretty sure that no matter how hard they try to lock it down there will be a lot of people opening the case up no later than day one, 5 minutes after bringing it back from the store. Somebody somewhere will probably come up with some hack, one way or another ;)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
nice

I might buy one as a companion to my NES. Funny I went on a mission to buy those games when I re-purchased an NES earlier this year. It'd be nice to have a backup.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
They should also make it randomly blink the startup screen on and off until you open the hatch in blow inside.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'm definitely picking one up for myself and one for my nephew.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm definitely picking one up for myself and obesity for my nephew.

Even if this a typo...I find it highly amusing.

"Cases of fruit pies on the house kids, eat up!!!!"

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'd assume that since it's released by Nintendo that it has to follow a standard since it is a console. I highly doubt they would let it flop like the NGX or those Genesis ones. I think they saw the Retro market and wanted in. Hopefully more games can be added.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Players needn稚 worry about losing any hard-earned progress either as each game has multiple suspend points, allowing them to start where they left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

That sounds like software emulation to me, which is fine. So long as its done properly.

Does the Wii Virtual Console work like that?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, on the Wii it will resume automatically where you left off.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
If it's emulated i don't see the point. I'd rather just run an HDMI cable from the PC to the TV and have way more games and better emulation.

If it's an actual miniature NES with real hardware it'd be awesome though. The Atari Flashback 2 and 2+ are both real 2600 hardware whereas all the other Flashback consoles are (poorly) emulated.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I'd assume that since it's released by Nintendo that it has to follow a standard since it is a console. I highly doubt they would let it flop like the NGX or those Genesis ones. I think they saw the Retro market and wanted in. Hopefully more games can be added.

I'm fine if they want to just come out with different versions of the system with a different block of games. Red Earthbound Zero version, etc.

Last edited:

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
I'm fine if they want to just come out with different versions of the system with a different block of games. Red Earthbound Zero version, etc.

You know they will. All those variant collectors will eat it up.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
While I've got an NES and all the games that I really want, this sounds like a neat novelty. I'm probably going to pick one of these up just for the fun of it.

I'm only hoping that the emulation is spot-on. If it is using Wii guts as suspected & uses the NES emulator that was on the Wii, I'll be stoked for sure. The NES emulation on the Wii was great, while the WiiU emulation was atrocious. After playing NES games for so long, I won't tolerate emulators unless they're damn-near perfect, as you can tell the difference, and that ruins the playing experience for me.

As someone else had mentioned, this will be great for kids, it'll probably be less delicate & less valuable, so let them have fun with it.

We'll see how hard this thing is to get a hold of come November, but I'm definitely happy Nintendo is digging into its back pocket to give gamers what they want.