Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Day 1 purchase for me as well. Nintendo always manages to grab my money.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Really awesome! But how can they not have Contra or Castlevania 3???

Unfortunately I am sure this will go up for preorder and sold out within minutes and I will miss out like I usually do...

Maybe because Konami didn't want it to have those 2?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I don't know why but I want this. I don't need it sin e I have most of these games but I got to have it. I've got the newest gen Flashback Coleco and Intellivision and really enjoy them.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Might buy two. One to flip a few years down the road and one to modify with a Raspberry PI. Why settle for 30 games?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Maybe because Konami didn't want it to have those 2?

They also might be doing packs of additional games in the future, and are holding back some games for future releases. Could be why we're seeing such a nice selection of third party games for this. Maybe there are Capcom or Konami game expansions planned for the future.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
it still comes down to wanting cartridges... we're just being "asked" to pay $60 for a raspberry pi with a fancy case. That's what really sucks. Still really cool though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This is Nintendo...that thing will be fort-fucking-knox.

If it has no I/O..."hacking" won't be as easy as it seems. I strongly doubt it will have any ports at all besides a HDMI, power cord and the two controller ports, especially not a "gimmie" like a SD card slot. Now, I guess some whiz can crack into the thing and start soldering shit on it, but I'm guessing that what it will take.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
a retron 5 still does this and more. Just saying.....

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This will go great with the (hopefully inevitable) SNES flashback console...

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm sold for $70 w the extra controller, even just for the nostalgia

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
a retron 5 still does this and more. Just saying.....

Yes it does...you're 100% correct. And it can save games, and for cheaters like me, it has cheats. And then it also plays SNES, GNE, Famicom, Super Famicom and GBA games as well. I've long been an advocate of mine and it has served me well.

But it requires you to have the carts...or go through some screwy, pain in the ass way to bootleg them.

One last thing...that little console it just cool as shit...$60 worth of cool? Absolutely.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Looks great. I'll pick one up if I can. It play Original NES games too, right?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
did they figure out a way to get a power button on the pi? That might make me rethink this - I have a ton of quality USB sticks and pads that I can use on the pi...

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The system uses the same port the Wii uses for classic controls for the pads. Dollars to donuts that thing is housing a Wii motherboard without the disc drive and a new front end.

It's probably they have left over connectors from their wii production so just used those. It doesn't seem cost effective to box a wii up like that for classic emulation.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
This is awesome. Will be getting one and a controller as soon as it becomes available. I used google and searched around and couldn't quite find out anymore information about it. Does nintendo have an official announcement? I probably didn't search adequately.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This is Nintendo...that thing will be fort-fucking-knox.

If it has no I/O..."hacking" won't be as easy as it seems. I strongly doubt it will have any ports at all besides a HDMI, power cord and the two controller ports, especially not a "gimmie" like a SD card slot. Now, I guess some whiz can crack into the thing and start soldering shit on it, but I'm guessing that what it will take.

Every Nintendo console I've ever own has been hackable. This will be no different.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Interesting for sure. I will probably wait to see what the reviews are like after it comes out. I don't think this will be like the Neo-Geo X. But just in case, it might be a good idea to hold out.... Or a really dumb one if the system is a good as everyone hopes, gets a limited release, and future game packs come out.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
It's probably they have left over connectors from their wii production so just used those. It doesn't seem cost effective to box a wii up like that for classic emulation.

The Wii mini sells for $99. With a Wii remote that retails for $35 and a nunchuck that retails for $20. Minus the disc drive...yeah they're making money stuffing a Wii in a new case and charging $60.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Last i checked, those Wiimote accessory ports are just fancy USB ports. If it really were a Wii, there'd probably be some sort of Bluetooth bridge involved and virtual Wiimotes, seeing how there's no way to use Wiimote accessories without the Wiimote. Or you know, Nintendo just recycled the accessory connectors and nothing else from the Wii...

My only other comment is I find this announcement hard to believe. Nintendo never makes stuff like this.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The Wii mini sells for $99. With a Wii remote that retails for $35 and a nunchuck that retails for $20. Minus the disc drive...yeah they're making money stuffing a Wii in a new case and charging $60.

Ah, maybe you're right then.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Might buy two. One to flip a few years down the road and one to modify with a Raspberry PI. Why settle for 30 games?

Best time to flip will be a few weeks before xmas.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
I'm willing to bet money this thing has Wii hardware inside. Which pretty much is good enough for emulation and is probably a good way for Nintendo to get rid of left over hardware.

The one I bought was cheaply made and felt like total junk. Not to mention that the games it had were mostly bad ports.
Maybe like mentioned by Deceptionzero I just had the late ones... but still.

Probably, since the earlier ones didn't have ported games at all, and could even be modified to play cartridges, granted you know how to solder in a cartridge connector.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
This is awesome but you can do all of this on a Wii w/ all the games, emulators, & roms...

The price is right though, so ill be picking this up just because the case is really nice w/hdmi. Plus you get a controller & i heard the extra controller is only $9.99.