Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
This is definitely something of the wii family. Due to the controller ports and all of these games just being what is already out on the VC. It will get hacked and you'll be able to do some kind of VC injection.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Definitely a day 1 purchase for me. Bubble Bobble is my #1 favorite NES game and been considering buying a NES just for it. Now I dont have too.

I wonder if they plan to release more games in the future.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
You guys forgot how much of shit it was with the Atari Flashback console - what a piece of junk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback

Nintendo are just cashing in on shit like this.... just my 2 cents. Hopefully I am wrong.

The first few Atari ones were awesome. The newer ones made by atgames are trash. I have high hopes for this, as it seems like a first party product.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Will pick this up when it comes out. If nothing else, it will look good on a shelf.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Is this going to be sold exclusively through Nintendo or anywhere?

Also, I just restored my old NES with the Blinking Light Win and I have to admit, the memories just flooded back. So many good feels. Amazing that all my games still work too. Zelda, Zelda II and Final Fantasy still had saves on them!

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
If you bought all the games separately on the Wii VC it would be about 150 bucks.

Hopefully they keep these in stock after xmas so anytime people ask me to help them setup a Nintendo I can direct them to this.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I wonder if Japan is getting one that resembles the famicom.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Worthess if it isn't encased in aluminium and costs $800.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
That really is an impressive line up of included games. Maybe this will actually be the fun little retro remake people can be happy about. I'm only leery due to being one of the idiots that bought a Neo Geo X ;)

Still, not bad at all for the sixty bucks.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
What are you talking about? The Atari Flashback units were great.

The one I bought was cheaply made and felt like total junk. Not to mention that the games it had were mostly bad ports.
Maybe like mentioned by Deceptionzero I just had the late ones... but still.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
people will tear it apart like they do for all these boxes.
Get mah roms in the box!

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I kinda want to get one just for the controller, and pop in a 74LS165 so I can use a brand new nintendo approved controller on my real NES.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The one I bought was cheaply made and felt like total junk. Not to mention that the games it had were mostly bad ports.
Maybe like mentioned by Deceptionzero I just had the late ones... but still.

The earlier ones were hardware clones, so they were real 2600's. The later ones used crappy emulation, probably.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
They should have gone the extra mile and made it use smaller repro cartridges.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
How long till some goob thinks this is a sign that Nintendo will start making new NES games.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
They should have gone the extra mile and made it use smaller repro cartridges.

I doubt it would be cost effective to produce 1-2MB mask roms and pcbs, or re-spin silicon for MMC chips.
If anything, they'd bring back those E-Reader cards, or use Amiibos.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I doubt it would be cost effective to produce 1-2MB mask roms and pcbs, or re-spin silicon for MMC chips.
If anything, they'd bring back those E-Reader cards, or use Amiibos.

A guy can dream, cant't he. :emb:

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I think they're banking on this selling out, which I guarantee it will.

Well, a Wii mini sells for $100, with a Wii remote, Nunchuck, and an optical drive. I'd be willing to bet they could use the same components for the systemand, minus the parts above and still turn a better profit then they do/did with the mini.

Solid points. I guess my only concern was licensing of the non Nintendo games, but I forgot about the wii mini's price point, seems pretty feasible at that rate.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the presentation is great. but for me, if it isn't the actual nes hardware, i might as well play on emulators for the pc.