Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I could have sworn this was already out. With Mortal Kombat and everything.

They have been. The portable one came with MK3. The original release of the console didn't though. The sound on these things are fucking awful and the screen shots on the box of the three MK games are arcade screenshots.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Well then, I wouldn't call that much of a match for what Nintendo is coming out with.

It's been out for years, half the price, can play actual games (along with what's built in), and doesn't require proprietary controllers

Aside from the shitty audio and video output, it's worth the $30 if you don't care about authenticity.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's been out for years, half the price, can play actual games (along with what's built in), and doesn't require proprietary controllers

Aside from the shitty audio and video output, it's worth the $30 if you don't care about authenticity.

It's the shitty audio/video that gets me. If the thing looks and sounds like shit, what's the point in getting one? The only thing that interested me in the NES unit is its slick form factor and HDMI output. If it didn't look the way it did and only offered composite video with mono audio, I wouldn't even consider the thing. I already have a NES...I can play any game I like via composite video. For that matter, I have Genesis as well.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

If you didn't care about audio and video the better choice would be on of those duo or trio consoles. For the same $40 you can be disappointed with three system libraries.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
These things sell to people that don't know any better.

True...you have a point there.

I have to admit that if Sega came out with a Genesis version of what Nintendo is doing, I'd buy it too. At the least, they're "nifty"...I'm a sucker for nifty...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The only Atgames clone anyone should possibly consider is the handheld. It's equally shitty, but at least you can fill an SD card with roms, and it actually plays pretty well. The sound is still awful, so I usually play it with the volume all the way down.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Preorders insta-sold-out on ToysRUs.com today. Let the fun begin. I'm going to try to snag one, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. We'll see if BestBuy/Amazon/Target/Walmart get their preorders up soon.

Let the overcharging begin!

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Preorders insta-sold-out on ToysRUs.com today. Let the fun begin. I'm going to try to snag one, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. We'll see if BestBuy/Amazon/Target/Walmart get their preorders up soon.

Let the overcharging begin!

Not surprised. These are going to be hard to get for awhile. Bet on that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'll preorder on Amazon if/when it pops up. If it doesn't I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Really, I just want some of those controllers! I'm hoping they are similar enough to the real deal that I can use them to rebuild real NES pads.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll preorder on Amazon if/when it pops up. If it doesn't I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Really, I just want some of those controllers! I'm hoping they are similar enough to the real deal that I can use them to rebuild real NES pads.

Same here...I'll get one when/if they are readily available and for retail price. If they never are? Yeah, well, no big loss. I have a Retron 5 and I save $60...no big.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd like to add two things not put forward about that ATGames turd. The big one is that it refuses to save games. If you use a real cart, or you use a ROM on a SD card for the handheld, it will not write a save to the game pak (or SD card), but it will read an existing save. Forget playing Phantasy Star games unless you just want to leave it on permanently until finished. Also some notable games will not run at all due to bugs in their emulator, a big on being Contra where stage one background won't scroll so you can't see walls/holes -- you're screwed. That aside, it's not shitty, but it's also not great. I've owned their latest (MK branded) handheld and the old original in black/orange that added the SD cart -- if you can get it for like $30 or less go for it, otherwise don't. That saving problem is why Sonic1-2 and Knuckles (4) is there and not 3 as 3 saves.

The best licensed atgames sega product is their closed SMS/GG handheld, it plays and looks accurate, has 30 games between the two systems and is very worth the price. It also runs off a set of AAAs, the Gen one uses a off the rack mobile phone battery if that matters to anyone.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
It's the shitty audio/video that gets me. If the thing looks and sounds like shit, what's the point in getting one? The only thing that interested me in the NES unit is its slick form factor and HDMI output. If it didn't look the way it did and only offered composite video with mono audio, I wouldn't even consider the thing. I already have a NES...I can play any game I like via composite video. For that matter, I have Genesis as well.

Why on Earth in this day and age would they opt for shitty old ass standard composite video and mono audio over hdmi? I mean obviously it comes down to profits but damn.

Sucks because almost everything else about that Genny looks like a much better deal over the NES mini (NES mini actually physically looks better though) and even has a cartridge slot and sd card support....but damn the audio and video quality suffering is an instant deal breaker for me. Good thing is already have perfectly good Genesis.

Now that NES mini and its HDMI though...i do not currently have an NES so im all in.

Speaking of which, does anybody of a good HDMI to Scart connector?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Can't do HDMI to RGB Scart without serious expense and issues.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
War of the consoles... all over again? If anyone pulls the "what does an adult do with 25 year old digital-memories" argument, there's only one answer: laggy business.

Edit: ...a Virtual Boy Mini would be cool tho.

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper

I'm really excited over this, too. The MSRP is $10, and if they're at all close to the originals in terms of Nintendo quality, I think we're going to be finding lots of uses for them beyond this mini-console.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I'll buy one in a couple years for $5 on cl like I do with all the shitty pack in bullshit. I don't get the excitement for these things.