Sega Game Gear does not turn on

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi,
I purchased a GG off the (only) flea market in Singapore for S$10.
The set does not turn on at all, be it on batteries or PSU.
The red LED does not even turn on while I have checked the LED does work independently with a CR2032 battery.
I have recap about 70% of the main board and sound board (do not have all caps available) but without success.
The board is made in Japan version 837-8560
I can't see obvious damages on the traces, caps, IC...
Having a hard time to track the DC voltage thru the electronic components due to their reduced size.View attachment service_manual_-_game_gear_va1.pdf

What could be the possible causes? or what should I look for?

It wasn't a big investment nor I've had high hopes in the first place. Although I wouldn't mind to make it work for the sake of learning.

Thanks

GG board.jpg

View attachment service_manual_-_game_gear_va1.pdf

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Finish the recap, my money is on one of the caps on the power board being bad.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Finish the recap, my money is on one of the caps on the power board being bad.

Sounds about right, I was not able to recap the power board at all.
Will do during the coming weekend and update.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
There are about 10 different things that can be wrong with the game gear. No power at all usually means that it was fried. Did it have a funny smell when you opened it the first time ?

On the other hand Game gears are dirt cheap right now... just toss it and buy a working one.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
It's doing you a favor. Throw it in the garbage and forget you ever crossed paths with that piece of shit system.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Whoa.

Let's not say things we'll regret later.
truth! There are a few cool exclusive games on the GG. I got one for my birthday half a year ago and I've enjoyed it a lot so far. Games are also affordable (way below $20 usually).

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's a portable Game Gear with a shitty screen. The screen can be fixed!

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I am finally done with the recap of the power board and outcome is rather bad.
The few caps seemed to have leaked on the power board from below. Yucks!
The 9 pins connector that power up the main board is not being fed with expected +5v / +9v / +34v. What a weird architecture!
The power board or so called DC-DC converter circuit board is faulty at some point.

Power board.jpg

Moreover the cap C14 was missing. Is it a bypass?

Why so much hatred for the SEGA game gear?
I have failed to refurbish this set and also due to the fact that I don't have a basic understanding of its architecture.

:crying:

Attachments

• schematic.png
    schematic.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 30

MuppeT

War Room Troll
People love to hate the game gear ... for various reasons.. but let me tell you something .. when everybody was walking around with their brick gameboys I was rocking the game gear and it was amazing. Going back and trying it out nowadays gives a totally different experience that people might have trouble appreciating as they have played nintedo 3ds per say.
But for the time this stuff was released it was rather amazing.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
People love to hate the game gear ... for various reasons.. but let me tell you something .. when everybody was walking around with their brick gameboys I was rocking the game gear and it was amazing. Going back and trying it out nowadays gives a totally different experience that people might have trouble appreciating as they have played nintedo 3ds per say.
But for the time this stuff was released it was rather amazing.

I had both.

My parents had money.