Anyone getting an Xbox One S?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I preordered one, the new scaler chip is supposed to be awesome. I really hope so, but at least it will have a built in UltraHD Blu-Ray drive too for movies (for when/if that format catches on).

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I preordered one, the new scaler chip is supposed to be awesome. I really hope so, but at least it will have a built in UltraHD Blu-Ray drive too for movies (for when/if that format catches on).

I will if they do a Gears of War edition.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Nop... not really interested on this revision... don't have 4K TV so I won't be getting much advantadge on selling my normal One to get the S model.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Nop... not really interested on this revision... don't have 4K TV so I won't be getting much advantadge on selling my normal One to get the S model.

Yeah, 4k is the sole reason to upgrade or buy in to the Xbox, IMO. The PS4 has way more titles that appeal to me, but the Neo won't come out until next year and having the display do scaling doesn't look so hot on even my 8-core 4k samsung. I have an external 4k scaler that I bought, but it introduces edge enhancement and other issues besides the addition of more input lag.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm in the maybe camp. The only game I know that I want for the system is Cuphead which im pretty certain that it will be released on the PC anyways. So might just get it for being a nice media center device that can play games. I guess I should say I don't have a gaming PC yet so I could go the Xbox route to play some of the games I planned to play on PC instead.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Yeah, 4k is the sole reason to upgrade or buy in to the Xbox, IMO. The PS4 has way more titles that appeal to me, but the Neo won't come out until next year and having the display do scaling doesn't look so hot on even my 8-core 4k samsung. I have an external 4k scaler that I bought, but it introduces edge enhancement and other issues besides the addition of more input lag.

It's never going to look good. The samples in the source image are too dirty to begin with; upsampling only works when you sampled properly to begin with.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
What's the point of getting one except to push Microsoft's online store? You get EVERYTHING for Windows 10, which is the only way to get good frame rates anyway, which is the only way to play zeitgeist games, which is... etc. etc.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I want a 4K BR player by years end...and Sony is nowhere to be found with an updated PS4. On top of that, with a $299 price tag out of the gate the S is cheaper than even a stand alone 4K BR player.

So yeah...I'm still waiting but yes, I'll probably pick one up.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
as a halo fan, i really wanted a xbone, and xbone s was the one i was planning to get. but it doesn't look like there's much of a competition going on. ps4 is clearly the one to go for. i love the controller and the exclusives for the xbone, but all the games are going to sony.

Lemony Vengeance

What's the point of getting one except to push Microsoft's online store? You get EVERYTHING for Windows 10, which is the only way to get good frame rates anyway, which is the only way to play zeitgeist games, which is... etc. etc.

I haven't bought a single physical game in 4 years. Not a problem for me.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I think I only have 4 games for the One, and three of them are Forza games. I really have no need for this upgrade.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
If stores do a decent trade in deal I will take the plunge, but I can't be arsed to sell my current xbone on my own.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'll wait for the Scorpio. Don't have a 4k TV and there's almost no 4K content out there currently.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I think I only have 4 games for the One, and three of them are Forza games. I really have no need for this upgrade.

Ah question for you Ren (or anyone else who knows) - any reason to buy Forza 5 if you've played the hell out of Forza 6?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I want a 4K BR player by years end...and Sony is nowhere to be found with an updated PS4. On top of that, with a $299 price tag out of the gate the S is cheaper than even a stand alone 4K BR player.

So yeah...I'm still waiting but yes, I'll probably pick one up.

i'll end up just waiting for the ps4 update, but same reasons- i would like a 4k br player.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Just so you folks know, the only model out this August is the 2TB model. The 500gb and 1TB won't be out till the holidays.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
in the world of downloads, i see 2tb as a minimum these days.

I dunno if the S has an SSD or not, but on the current bone I use a USB 3.0 external enclosure with a 2tb HDD. It loads faster then the internal drive.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I dunno if the S has an SSD or not, but on the current bone I use a USB 3.0 external enclosure with a 2tb HDD. It loads faster then the internal drive.

my ps4 has a 1tb ssd inside now (was a launch 500gb). night and day performance difference. plus the extra space is definitely coming in handy.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
As far as the game side of things, I have Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend & DOA5. I hate digital downloads but I'll get MOTW & Guwange etc. I'm hoping Cave shmups and KOFXIII get added to the BC, too.

As I was already into the idea of buying a standalone UltraHD Blu-Ray player, the ball was in Sony's court pre-E3 and they decided to push back the Official Neo announcement (wisely, considering the Scorpio specs) so the S is the most logical 4K purchase for 2016 for me. I'm really kicking myself for selling my PS4 pre-E3 now, everything I want is on there except the upscaling/BC.

Lemony Vengeance

As far as the game side of things, I have Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend & DOA5. I hate digital downloads but I'll get MOTW & Guwange etc. I'm hoping Cave shmups and KOFXIII get added to the BC, too.

As I was already into the idea of buying a standalone UltraHD Blu-Ray player, the ball was in Sony's court pre-E3 and they decided to push back the Official Neo announcement (wisely, considering the Scorpio specs) so the S is the most logical 4K purchase for 2016 for me. I'm really kicking myself for selling my PS4 pre-E3 now, everything I want is on there except the upscaling/BC.

sony's too far into the Neo development cycle to change HW without SIGNIFICANT delays. Like, year+. there's been no announcement saying otherwise so the plan to release an underwhelming HW revision is still on.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm not buying an xbox one until the hands of god or the release of Cuphead force me to