NeoBiosMasta is now Open Source Hardware

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
As of today my NeoBiosMasta for MVS and CD are open hardware. People can feel free to use, sell, modify my invention as they see fit. I'll be sending the files to be put in the NeoDev wiki as I really don't like to mess with that stuff. I'll also post these to oshpark for people to make at will.

Why am I doing this? I'm just tired of being worried about people ripping off my idea. It's too much stress, seriously. It really bothers me alot when I read things that either are negative about me or my products. I also don't want to stand in the way of progress or new products based off my idea. I don't want Raz to have to pick sides (I never asked anyone to) and I don't want people to have to wait for me to restock.

It's just not worth the stress.

I'm not "rage quitting", I'm just doing what I think is best for the Neo fans. This doesn't mean I'm quitting projects for good, I'm just letting this one go. This decision is good for everyone. I can focus on other things and you guys can get more products from different people. The VMC NBM will not be part of the open hardware release.

For those who aren't familiar with the history behind this, here is the original thread on the NBM from 2010:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ion-and-Information-(photo-heavy)-ORDERS-OPEN

I had fun making these for people for the last 6 years. It's the one project I am very proud of and I want to thank everyone for your support of the NBM over the years.

EDIT:
NeoGeoDev Wiki now has an entry including a link to the OSH Park files for those who want to print their own.
https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NeoBiosMasta

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
You have always been an asset, thanks for your support to the Neo. Wish you best of luck on what you do next.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
That is cool of you man. I can understand your reasons for doing this. I can't wait to see what other cool shit you come up with.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Sincerely thank you for all that you have done.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Nice man, really nice offer. Those PCB's made my life really easy.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
thanks for keeping it about the community Turfy. While it really freaking sucks that people have copied your design, cutting them of at the legs by releasing it to the masses is freaking awesome.

You have a forever-customer in me :)

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
It sad that people copied your design , i bought one from you (you were out of pippins) and it was a solid piece of hardware . But it awesome that you choose to release it in the community , thank you !

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
cutting them of at the legs by releasing it to the masses is freaking awesome.

That's not what this is about. It's about me letting go of something I have been stressing over for too long. It's not worth the headache of trying to track down everyone who tries to copy my design. I'm tired of getting upset over it. It's not fair to anyone for me to inhibit any future projects that could use and improve on my NBM.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
That's not what this is about. It's about me letting go of something I have been stressing over for too long. It's not worth the headache of trying to track down everyone who tries to copy my design. I'm tired of getting upset over it. It's not fair to anyone for me to inhibit any future projects that could use and improve on my NBM.

even still, you're a good dude and didn't deserve dealing with that headache :)

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Thanks for everything. I'm glad you're putting your health (longterm) over this.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I bought one from you for my NGCD, but I never really used it because I've been too lazy to buy the CD bios.

Thanks for taking the time to make it though.
I know how annoying PCB design and production can be.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear it was mad stressful but good on you for making it open source, i don't care what they say about you and your filthy taco shirt, you always give to the community first.

mccloud5286

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Having finally getting around to purchasing one to have Xian install it when I send it to him, I'm glad I was able to get one of the last ones you made. Like many here have said, thank you.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Very cool of you to do this, NTM! Your products/projects are most appreciated. I'm always looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I always try to support others NEO products as much as I can as I feel others should as well. I just wish that crap didn't happen but it is what it is. But it should tell you how great of a product it is. I'm eagerly awaiting your next project(s) to come.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Great product. My soldering/desoldering skills were shit when I built my first cmvs and couldn't have done it without neobiosmasta. I later ordered more of these and I think I still have one in my shelf waiting for future use.

kragit

n00b
Very much appreciative of all the help you've been in our email correspondence. Sorry to hear people are giving you grief! :(

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
qiJQvqj.gif