AES game crashes when cart touched?

I just got an AES and unfortunately just one game to test. What is really annoying me is that:

1. When I insert the game it not always works (usually not pushing the cart all the way down helps)

2. When the game is up and running, touching the cart (it does feel slightly wobbly) crashes the game... but a quick switch off/on and game is running again.

Any ideas? Thanks!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I just got an AES and unfortunately just one game to test. What is really annoying me is that:

1. When I insert the game it not always works (usually not pushing the cart all the way down helps)

2. When the game is up and running, touching the cart (it does feel slightly wobbly) crashes the game... but a quick switch off/on and game is running again.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Clean the cart contacts well with rubbing alcohol (higher percentage of alcohol, the better as it dries fast. Wrap an old white shirt/cloth atound a credit card, soak the cloth around the edge of the card in alcohol and insert it and remove it multiple times along different parts of the cart slot (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SLIDE BACK AND FORTH, the cloth will get caught on a pin). To be careful to not get the cloth caught on any pins, hold the cloth taught against the card. If you prefer, you can clean the slot with alcohol and a toothbrush as well and scrub that baby, but I've found the credit card way works better.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
It's essentially bad contact. Most likely a loose slot, but cleaning contacts is a good way to try to fix this issue.

Once you have a clean slot, be sure to always clean any new carts you buy before infecting your slot with any new crud.

I also forgot to mention above, you will have to hold the cartridge slot flaps open with your fingers during the slot cleaning.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Contact cleaner like deoxit-d5 would work best since it promotes connection. If you're console is a 1st gen AES then it's normal for the slots to feel loose.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Depends on the type of contact cleaner, ingredients vary. You'd want to use one that leaves no residue.
I find rubbing alcohol with a percentage higher than 90% works best IMO.

Weimans stovetop cleaner used to be great (followed by a cleanup with rubbing alcohol), but now it has abrasive particles in it and should be avoided unfortunately.

Sorry for my stupidity... rubbing alcohol is isopropyl?

Edit: Yes it is.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Please let us know if it works. Otherwise i'd source some older Weiman's glass cooktop cleaner off ebay (before it had the yellow rectangle around the word "Heavy Duty").

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Please let us know if it works. Otherwise i'd source some older Weiman's glass cooktop cleaner off ebay (before it had the yellow rectangle around the word "Heavy Duty").

Is the original type no longer made? I'm running a bit low after years of cleaning Yaton carts.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
bc the residue can build up over time and create a layer between the contact pins of the game and console and not give you a good connection.
AFAIK contact cleaner promotes the connection, rather than hinder it... sure, after cleaning I'd always wipe over the contacts with some non soaked cotton swabs, but a little film should actually be good.

Ok, I cleaned the cart using Q-Tip and the product below and the game works great, even if I push it all the way down and touch the cart while running. :)

zoom_Contact_Cleaner_-_Kontakt_61_200ml_-_CRC.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Stop touching the cart while it's running! No means no!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Is the original type no longer made? I'm running a bit low after years of cleaning Yaton carts.

It's unfortunate. Changed the formula 2 years ago, and changed the label one year ago so you can't even be guaranteed to get the old formula if you find an old bottle on eBay.

akirasan

n00b
I always clean my carts with a cotton ear sticks and a rubber (classic rubber from the school), and the console contact with a toothbrush with isopropyl. And do not touch the carts while you playing!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It's unfortunate. Changed the formula 2 years ago, and changed the label one year ago so you can't even be guaranteed to get the old formula if you find an old bottle on eBay.

Yeah, I got a bottle of the new type last year. Great for cleaning the oven. Carts, not so much... :(

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Dude, let me tell you, be it Neo, Genesis, Snes, etc. makes no difference. all the same shit man. I lost count years ago how many kick ass games I had going that got ruined by accidentally tapping or nudging the cart. And now a days, with kids in the mix, half my games get ruined. You get used to it. Happened just last week. I was on the final boss of the final stage in Ghost Pilots, and I accidentally hit the cart with my knee when I paused to take another sip of my iced tea. I was furious at myself, but then I calmed down, laughed about it, and went to bed.

It's all part of the good, the bad, and the ugly from our cartridge generation of gaming.