Brezzasoft Crystal of Kings battery!!!

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Last night I did some inspection to some of my pcbs and I discovered some green rust, not too much, on one pole of the Brezzasoft Crystal of king's battery. Strange thing is that I replaced the battery one year ago or less.

Brezzasoft system uses the same 3.6v battery as the PGM system, which is well known for the battery leakage issues. I removed the battery in time and no acid went on the board and decided to leave the system without battery. Afterwards I discovered it doesn't boot. PGM plays fine without one though...

Is there a way to keep the system working without the sucker, which only lasts for a year and maybe less or is the system compatible with the 3.6v lithium CPS2 battery or any other longer life battery?

Many thanks for your help

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Interesting, I was planning on removing the battery on mine soon as it's getting fuzzy on one end as well.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I guess you could do what pinball owners do. Use long extended wires and mount the battery elsewhere in an isolated / insulated area?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There's not much free space on a Crystal system.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Hm great idea. There is not much space in the Crystal system but better safe than sorry. I will put cables and drive the sucker out of the system. I will think of something how to hang it inside a small plastic bag. Only one year life??? Very poor prrformance. I was hopping for a possible coin cell mode.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Hm great idea. There is not much space in the Crystal system but better safe than sorry. I will put cables and drive the sucker out of the system. I will think of something how to hang it inside a small plastic bag. Only one year life??? Very poor prrformance. I was hopping for a possible coin cell mode.

A replacement battery should be possible. 3.6V is 3.6V and I'm sure you could get a coin cell in there with a few minor changes. The only thing to overcome is the charging of the cell, but it's probably a very similar hack to the PGM/Neo. There's a very easy to follow guide for the Neo, and I bet someone has done one for the PGM as well.

Maybe look at those and see if you can do something similar for the Crystal? I'm sure if you need help pulling that off some folks here in tech support can offer a helping hand. Definitely worth doing, and much cleaner than running the battery out of the system... though, if you have to, it's better than nothing. Guess you could do a molex or removable solution wired in too, so it can be put on when needed and removed completely when being stored.

Anyway, yeah, I'd say start looking at other battery to coin cell conversion projects and just follow their lead... It's definitely not a hard thing to pull off, and on the Neo only took me a few minutes to perform.