SSVS Proto on Ebay? Confirmed Boot

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
You just said that you bought it back in 2007. (the game came out in 2004) And in an earlier post, someone said they bought it years ago as well. It's 2016! It's been like ten years! What I'm getting at is where and when in recent times can you buy a copy of this game? (multicart aside let's say).

I'm not saying this game is the holy grail, but it sure as hell is extremely rare (the original is quite literally the most expensive MVS cart in the entire library!) and even a bootleg of it fetches almost $500! So what I'm getting at is find me where you can buy a boot for $50? Even $100? YOU CANT!!!

You answered your own question. Bootlegs of a single game are pointless now that you can get a multicart for $70. You know that the only reason that cart sold for that much is that it was fraudulently listed as a proto.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Can't someone just easily make these?

Can't someone just easily make these?

Here's the thing. Yes, of course they can be made. But making one today is very expensive. The issue has to do with the costs involved.

Samurai Showdown 5 Special is a 700+ meg game. The CHA board MAXES OUT by using 8 64meg roms. There are NO empty slots left, there are no boards made after that support larger roms, and there is no room for more chips on there anyhow.

Now, there is no such thing as a 64 meg eprom. It simply does not exist. (not available to normal consumers anyhow) And there is no programmer that would be able to program it anyhow. ST Micro's largest commercially available eprom was 32 meg. So in order to make bootlegs of these high meg games, you have to use flash rom technology.

You cannot simply split the 64 meg roms into 2 32 meg eproms, like say how you can with Ganryu, Pochi, and other low meg games that used 64 meg roms. There simply is no SNK board that supports populating 16 (32 meg) eproms on it; not that it could even fit inside an MVS cartridge case either. There is no donor that can be used.

Therefore, custom made boards that utilize custom made surface mount flash roms are the ONLY way to make a stand alone bootleg cartridge of this game.

(and keep in mind that we have not even mentioned all the encryption involved with the roms that has to be cracked, but of course that never stopped bootleggers before, and it's been done, so I have ignored it for this post)

Now, the bootleggers (let's say the Chinese pirates who in this case always broke and copied SNK's releases) did indeed do so with Samurai Special. But that was 12 years ago! You have to understand, they don't bootleg games for fun. They do it to make money. PERIOD. They are in it for the money. Nothing else.

So, in 2004, it was worth their time to design the boards, buy the flash roms & all the other components needed to build carts, and manufacture and sell these carts to operators and gamers. The mass quantity makes up for their costs, even at low selling price points to the consumer. But today, it's 2016. This game is dead. The neogeo is dead. There is NO MONEY in this for a "mass production". Nobody will ever mass produce this again; at a "relatively" affordable price. (just look at how expensive those reproduction Samurai Special home carts are that they are making in Europe)

So, the only way to get this game is the following:

-- buy an original MVS cartridge ($1,000)
-- buy a bootleg copy cartridge ($500)
-- build your own from scratch (?)

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
Here's the thing. Yes, of course they can be made. But making one today is very expensive. The issue has to do with the costs involved.

Samurai Showdown 5 Special is a 700+ meg game. The CHA board MAXES OUT by using 8 64meg roms. There are NO empty slots left, there are no boards made after that support larger roms, and there is no room for more chips on there anyhow.

Now, there is no such thing as a 64 meg eprom. It simply does not exist. (not available to normal consumers anyhow) And there is no programmer that would be able to program it anyhow. ST Micro's largest commercially available eprom was 32 meg. So in order to make bootlegs of these high meg games, you have to use flash rom technology.

You cannot simply split the 64 meg roms into 2 32 meg eproms, like say how you can with Ganryu, Pochi, and other low meg games that used 64 meg roms. There simply is no SNK board that supports populating 16 (32 meg) eproms on it; not that it could even fit inside an MVS cartridge case either. There is no donor that can be used.

Therefore, custom made boards that utilize custom made surface mount flash roms are the ONLY way to make a stand alone bootleg cartridge of this game.

(and keep in mind that we have not even mentioned all the encryption involved with the roms that has to be cracked, but of course that never stopped bootleggers before, and it's been done, so I have ignored it for this post)

Now, the bootleggers (let's say the Chinese pirates who in this case always broke and copied SNK's releases) did indeed do so with Samurai Special. But that was 12 years ago! You have to understand, they don't bootleg games for fun. They do it to make money. PERIOD. They are in it for the money. Nothing else.

So, in 2004, it was worth their time to design the boards, buy the flash roms & all the other components needed to build carts, and manufacture and sell these carts to operators and gamers. The mass quantity makes up for their costs, even at low selling price points to the consumer. But today, it's 2016. This game is dead. The neogeo is dead. There is NO MONEY in this for a "mass production". Nobody will ever mass produce this again; at a "relatively" affordable price. (just look at how expensive those reproduction Samurai Special home carts are that they are making in Europe)

So, the only way to get this game is the following:

-- buy an original MVS cartridge ($1,000)
-- buy a bootleg copy cartridge ($500)
-- build your own from scratch (?)

Wow dude very well put! Lol This high dollar boot thing is constanly cracking me up! Keep em coming boys!

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I hope more come out of it, devalue those boots.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Gotta love the re-purposed Sammy flash chip on that one. At least the seller is honest about what it is. I put the over/under at $350.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
dafuq

If only I didn't need a new alternator, battery & AC fan assembly for my car I could buy this fake ass game ;_;

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hahaha, someone should buy a 138in1, do the dip switch mod to lock it to SSVS and flip that in a black shell with Reprolabel on ebay.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I am kind of confused around this same line of thinking. Reading all the above, it's clear that even some single game bootlegs are uncommon enough to warrant a level of attention; but where is the benefit when the game is also found in enough of the multi-cart varieties? This would make more sense to me if it was a bootleg that is not readily available on top of things.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I am kind of confused around this same line of thinking. Reading all the above, it's clear that even some single game bootlegs are uncommon enough to warrant a level of attention; but where is the benefit when the game is also found in enough of the multi-cart varieties? This would make more sense to me if it was a bootleg that is not readily available on top of things.

Multicarts have issues in multislot boards, and the roms have also been modified to allow exiting to menu.

Like it or not, I think this just shows there is a demand for reproduction carts, like I was saying a few months back.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

It's bottom-of-the-barrel, swirling around the drain, collectardism at it's absolute worst.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
shelf queens desperately filling the void in their soul (and shelf)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
What, why is it expensive to make these? Haha, these are nickel and dime Chinese boot specials. Why, on this fucking Earth or any space time manifestation otherwise, would you need real Neo boards and expensive EPROMs? This boot we're discussing surely didn't.

How do people on this forum get progressively dumber every year? Supergun, seriously, that's embarrassing. You've been here long enough to know better. Not sure how you still can't spot a boot, or even fathom how one is made.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
What, why is it expensive to make these? Haha, these are nickel and dime Chinese boot specials. Why, on this fucking Earth or any space time manifestation otherwise, would you need real Neo boards and expensive EPROMs? This boot we're discussing surely didn't.

How do people on this forum get progressively dumber every year? Supergun, seriously, that's embarrassing. You've been here long enough to know better. Not sure how you still can't spot a boot, or even fathom how one is made.

It's not even worth the time spent typing dude.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy

they are talking about trying to replicate factory PCBs, using SNK boards. it's obvious it would be ideal for the game to play exactly like the original.

this being a boot is worth closer to $50 than to $500. it would be interesting to know how much it would have sold for if it was simply marked as a bootleg since this prototype story likely inflated the price

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member

I don't think you followed his post. Making your own using real boards was discussed to explain part of the reason why a boot of this game is expensive. And I, like he, very much doubt that boots like this one are still being made in China in 2016 when there is no real money to be made on it anymore (but there was, closer to the games release)

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
they are talking about trying to replicate factory PCBs, using SNK boards. it's obvious it would be ideal for the game to play exactly like the original.

this being a boot is worth closer to $50 than to $500. it would be interesting to know how much it would have sold for if it was simply marked as a bootleg since this prototype story likely inflated the price

No.
The text in the description of the first listing that made reference to "possibly being a Proto" had little if any effect on the price. Proof of this can be clearly seen in the fact that the second listing of a samurai 5 special boot cart which does NOT do so, is already at $510 (even HIGHER).

So once again, there is a high demand for this game. Period. That is why it is selling so high, and that was the phenomenon which I was pointing out in my posts.

This is NOT a $50 game. Anyone here who thinks this game is only worth $50 is obviously wrong as the listings have proven otherwise. If anyone here has one for sale for "$50 shipped" as is often the joke muttered here, please contact me. I'll gladly buy it from you. If you have 10 of them, I'll gladly buy all of them.