Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SSVS Proto on Ebay? Confirmed Boot

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGun View Post
    You just said that you bought it back in 2007. (the game came out in 2004) And in an earlier post, someone said they bought it years ago as well. It's 2016! It's been like ten years! What I'm getting at is where and when in recent times can you buy a copy of this game? (multicart aside let's say).

I'm not saying this game is the holy grail, but it sure as hell is extremely rare (the original is quite literally the most expensive MVS cart in the entire library!) and even a bootleg of it fetches almost $500! So what I'm getting at is find me where you can buy a boot for $50? Even $100? YOU CANT!!!
    You answered your own question. Bootlegs of a single game are pointless now that you can get a multicart for $70. You know that the only reason that cart sold for that much is that it was fraudulently listed as a proto.

Quote Originally Posted by ResO View Post
    Can't someone just easily make these?
    Quote Originally Posted by ResO View Post
    Can't someone just easily make these?
    Here's the thing. Yes, of course they can be made. But making one today is very expensive. The issue has to do with the costs involved.

Samurai Showdown 5 Special is a 700+ meg game. The CHA board MAXES OUT by using 8 64meg roms. There are NO empty slots left, there are no boards made after that support larger roms, and there is no room for more chips on there anyhow.

Now, there is no such thing as a 64 meg eprom. It simply does not exist. (not available to normal consumers anyhow) And there is no programmer that would be able to program it anyhow. ST Micro's largest commercially available eprom was 32 meg. So in order to make bootlegs of these high meg games, you have to use flash rom technology.

You cannot simply split the 64 meg roms into 2 32 meg eproms, like say how you can with Ganryu, Pochi, and other low meg games that used 64 meg roms. There simply is no SNK board that supports populating 16 (32 meg) eproms on it; not that it could even fit inside an MVS cartridge case either. There is no donor that can be used.

Therefore, custom made boards that utilize custom made surface mount flash roms are the ONLY way to make a stand alone bootleg cartridge of this game.

(and keep in mind that we have not even mentioned all the encryption involved with the roms that has to be cracked, but of course that never stopped bootleggers before, and it's been done, so I have ignored it for this post)

Now, the bootleggers (let's say the Chinese pirates who in this case always broke and copied SNK's releases) did indeed do so with Samurai Special. But that was 12 years ago! You have to understand, they don't bootleg games for fun. They do it to make money. PERIOD. They are in it for the money. Nothing else.

So, in 2004, it was worth their time to design the boards, buy the flash roms & all the other components needed to build carts, and manufacture and sell these carts to operators and gamers. The mass quantity makes up for their costs, even at low selling price points to the consumer. But today, it's 2016. This game is dead. The neogeo is dead. There is NO MONEY in this for a "mass production". Nobody will ever mass produce this again; at a "relatively" affordable price. (just look at how expensive those reproduction Samurai Special home carts are that they are making in Europe)

So, the only way to get this game is the following:

-- buy an original MVS cartridge ($1,000)
    -- buy a bootleg copy cartridge ($500)
    -- build your own from scratch (?)
    Some men see things as they are, and say why. I dream things that never were, and say why not.

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGun View Post
    Here's the thing. Yes, of course they can be made. But making one today is very expensive. The issue has to do with the costs involved.

Samurai Showdown 5 Special is a 700+ meg game. The CHA board MAXES OUT by using 8 64meg roms. There are NO empty slots left, there are no boards made after that support larger roms, and there is no room for more chips on there anyhow.

Now, there is no such thing as a 64 meg eprom. It simply does not exist. (not available to normal consumers anyhow) And there is no programmer that would be able to program it anyhow. ST Micro's largest commercially available eprom was 32 meg. So in order to make bootlegs of these high meg games, you have to use flash rom technology.

You cannot simply split the 64 meg roms into 2 32 meg eproms, like say how you can with Ganryu, Pochi, and other low meg games that used 64 meg roms. There simply is no SNK board that supports populating 16 (32 meg) eproms on it; not that it could even fit inside an MVS cartridge case either. There is no donor that can be used.

Therefore, custom made boards that utilize custom made surface mount flash roms are the ONLY way to make a stand alone bootleg cartridge of this game.

(and keep in mind that we have not even mentioned all the encryption involved with the roms that has to be cracked, but of course that never stopped bootleggers before, and it's been done, so I have ignored it for this post)

Now, the bootleggers (let's say the Chinese pirates who in this case always broke and copied SNK's releases) did indeed do so with Samurai Special. But that was 12 years ago! You have to understand, they don't bootleg games for fun. They do it to make money. PERIOD. They are in it for the money. Nothing else.

So, in 2004, it was worth their time to design the boards, buy the flash roms & all the other components needed to build carts, and manufacture and sell these carts to operators and gamers. The mass quantity makes up for their costs, even at low selling price points to the consumer. But today, it's 2016. This game is dead. The neogeo is dead. There is NO MONEY in this for a "mass production". Nobody will ever mass produce this again; at a "relatively" affordable price. (just look at how expensive those reproduction Samurai Special home carts are that they are making in Europe)

So, the only way to get this game is the following:

-- buy an original MVS cartridge ($1,000)
    -- buy a bootleg copy cartridge ($500)
    -- build your own from scratch (?)
    Wow dude very well put! Lol This high dollar boot thing is constanly cracking me up! Keep em coming boys!

Loyal Neo-Disciple

Now that that boot collected big dollars, the rest come out of the woodwork:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samurai-Shod...p2056016.l4276

Fio's Quartermaster

Quote Originally Posted by egg_sanwich View Post
    Now that that boot collected big dollars, the rest come out of the woodwork:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samurai-Shod...p2056016.l4276
    Nothing surprising there, was likely to happen.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

I hope more come out of it, devalue those boots.
    Last edited by Day_Man; 07-06-2016 at 01:30 AM.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

Gotta love the re-purposed Sammy flash chip on that one. At least the seller is honest about what it is. I put the over/under at $350.

Kyo's Flame

Last edited by ResO; 07-08-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Fio's Quartermaster

Up to $510.

Bloodhound

dafuq

If only I didn't need a new alternator, battery & AC fan assembly for my car I could buy this fake ass game ;_;

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

hahaha, someone should buy a 138in1, do the dip switch mod to lock it to SSVS and flip that in a black shell with Reprolabel on ebay.

Hardened Shock Trooper

I am kind of confused around this same line of thinking. Reading all the above, it's clear that even some single game bootlegs are uncommon enough to warrant a level of attention; but where is the benefit when the game is also found in enough of the multi-cart varieties? This would make more sense to me if it was a bootleg that is not readily available on top of things.

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrian View Post
    I am kind of confused around this same line of thinking. Reading all the above, it's clear that even some single game bootlegs are uncommon enough to warrant a level of attention; but where is the benefit when the game is also found in enough of the multi-cart varieties? This would make more sense to me if it was a bootleg that is not readily available on top of things.
    Multicarts have issues in multislot boards, and the roms have also been modified to allow exiting to menu.

Like it or not, I think this just shows there is a demand for reproduction carts, like I was saying a few months back.

Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.

It's bottom-of-the-barrel, swirling around the drain, collectardism at it's absolute worst.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by pixeljunkie View Post
    It's bottom-of-the-barrel, swirling around the drain, collectardism at it's absolute worst.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko49 View Post
    Multicarts have issues in multislot boards, and the roms have also been modified to allow exiting to menu.
    might not be the case with the 138in1 + DIPswitch mod, hence my evil scheme.

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    this.

might not be the case with the 138in1 + DIPswitch mod, hence my evil scheme.
    touche

Bloodhound

shelf queens desperately filling the void in their soul (and shelf)

Kuroko's Training Dummy

what I don't get is when people clam a repro is rare. that drives me up a wall.
    They call me HADOKEN because im down right fierce

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by hyper View Post
    shelf queens desperately filling the void in their soul (and shelf)
    Exactly.

Mayor of Southtown

What, why is it expensive to make these? Haha, these are nickel and dime Chinese boot specials. Why, on this fucking Earth or any space time manifestation otherwise, would you need real Neo boards and expensive EPROMs? This boot we're discussing surely didn't.

How do people on this forum get progressively dumber every year? Supergun, seriously, that's embarrassing. You've been here long enough to know better. Not sure how you still can't spot a boot, or even fathom how one is made.

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitTroop View Post
    What, why is it expensive to make these? Haha, these are nickel and dime Chinese boot specials. Why, on this fucking Earth or any space time manifestation otherwise, would you need real Neo boards and expensive EPROMs? This boot we're discussing surely didn't.

How do people on this forum get progressively dumber every year? Supergun, seriously, that's embarrassing. You've been here long enough to know better. Not sure how you still can't spot a boot, or even fathom how one is made.
    It's not even worth the time spent typing dude.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

they are talking about trying to replicate factory PCBs, using SNK boards. it's obvious it would be ideal for the game to play exactly like the original.

this being a boot is worth closer to $50 than to $500. it would be interesting to know how much it would have sold for if it was simply marked as a bootleg since this prototype story likely inflated the price
    -alby13

Proud owner of a 1 slot & 4 slot MVS

"A samurai fears not death. Struggles to triumph over evil. And lives for one purpose: To destroy all enemies."

Creator of the Master List

I don't think you followed his post. Making your own using real boards was discussed to explain part of the reason why a boot of this game is expensive. And I, like he, very much doubt that boots like this one are still being made in China in 2016 when there is no real money to be made on it anymore (but there was, closer to the games release)

Y.
    U.
    PM ME!

Buy now or cry later.

Quote Originally Posted by alby13 View Post
    they are talking about trying to replicate factory PCBs, using SNK boards. it's obvious it would be ideal for the game to play exactly like the original.

this being a boot is worth closer to $50 than to $500. it would be interesting to know how much it would have sold for if it was simply marked as a bootleg since this prototype story likely inflated the price
    No.
    The text in the description of the first listing that made reference to "possibly being a Proto" had little if any effect on the price. Proof of this can be clearly seen in the fact that the second listing of a samurai 5 special boot cart which does NOT do so, is already at $510 (even HIGHER).

So once again, there is a high demand for this game. Period. That is why it is selling so high, and that was the phenomenon which I was pointing out in my posts.

This is NOT a $50 game. Anyone here who thinks this game is only worth $50 is obviously wrong as the listings have proven otherwise. If anyone here has one for sale for "$50 shipped" as is often the joke muttered here, please contact me. I'll gladly buy it from you. If you have 10 of them, I'll gladly buy all of them.
    Some men see things as they are, and say why. I dream things that never were, and say why not.

Thread Information