SSVS Proto on Ebay? Confirmed Boot

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Here's my prototype of Stakes Hero. It's like Riding Hero, but with horsezzz.
7D127D84-98CE-463D-96D5-7A2E375FF70C_zpskdxzh2ou.jpg

Seriously guys, this ssvs is a bootleg.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Can we please keep the thread shitting out of the tech support forum? There are plenty of other places on here for this type of nonsense.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Can we please keep the thread shitting out of the tech support forum? There are plenty of other places on here for this type of nonsense.

Lol, madman is sounding like an EG Tech Support warrior.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
The problem is, this particular item has quite a bit of range in its appeal so regardless of it being a fake, it will fetch healthy money for these reasons:

-- last game released for the neogeo
-- extremely rare & expensive to buy an original
-- extremely difficult to build a bootleg cart yourself.
(if even possible to be honest?)
-- unique small boards make people curious

Again, real or not, if it works right (albeit sound glitch?) it's still worth money.

I contacted the buyer and asked him if I can see it. ( I in no way want to purchase something like this) but I've never seen a small circuit board in an mvs cart. He is like an hour away I believe.

Just looks super interesting is all. Will let you guys know, what he says.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I contacted the buyer and asked him if I can see it. ( I in no way want to purchase something like this) but I've never seen a small circuit board in an mvs cart. He is like an hour away I believe.

Just looks super interesting is all. Will let you guys know, what he says.

Look at my pic posted above. Altera processor, mx chips with Japanese text and word "KYORAKU" on stickers, small boards & white clips. The bootleg boards pictured above are from a KOF 2004 Special Edition hack.

Last edited:

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Can you clarify this a little bit?
As in, the sound glitch is commonly found in the released version?

Also, just curious, but are there in fact bootlegs of SS5S out there? (personally I have seen them for SS5, but not for SS5S)

Sound glitch is not actually found on a legit board. The sound glitch actually shows itself during the versus screen where the announcer is saying the names of both characters. The glitch only happens with a certain character named Basara though. You will hear a distortion pop sound while the announcer is saying his name. This same sound glitch is in the neo geo rom sets available online. I have looked in to it and think that it might be a bad dump of one of the sound roms, however it might never be confirmed as one of the only ways to test it is to dump the sound roms again. These days though, no one is really willing to do so with a $1000+ game.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I have looked in to it and think that it might be a bad dump of one of the sound roms, however it might never be confirmed as one of the only ways to test it is to dump the sound roms again. These days though, no one is really willing to do so with a $1000+ game.

Gotta take it out of its triple-layer protective casing first.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Sound glitch is not actually found on a legit board. The sound glitch actually shows itself during the versus screen where the announcer is saying the names of both characters. The glitch only happens with a certain character named Basara though. You will hear a distortion pop sound while the announcer is saying his name. This same sound glitch is in the neo geo rom sets available online. I have looked in to it and think that it might be a bad dump of one of the sound roms, however it might never be confirmed as one of the only ways to test it is to dump the sound roms again. These days though, no one is really willing to do so with a $1000+ game.

That makes sense. Does anyone wanna volunteer their legit copy and try that same trick? Yeah this is one of those games I know I will never own.....cept for Steam.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
That makes sense. Does anyone wanna volunteer their legit copy and try that same trick? Yeah this is one of those games I know I will never own.....cept for Steam.

Highly doubt anyone would show the least bit of interest. Just had to be this game out of everything, didn't it?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I used to have that boot - bought it from ECL waaaay back. It was honestly shortly after the game actually came out. It was light as a feather when it arrived so I cracked it open to see those baby boards. I think I sold it on here for $50 shipped

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I just tried it out with my real MVS cartridge on a single slot board. I can't here any glitchy or odd sound when I pick Basara? It makes an affirmation sound, and then his boomerang flight sound. I made a 10 second video of it as well. Anyone wanna check it (listen to it) to verify or post it for me? (have never tried to post a video here)

Pretty damn violent game btw. I didn't used to think so. Maybe I'm getting old!

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
I just tried it out with my real MVS cartridge on a single slot board. I can't here any glitchy or odd sound when I pick Basara? It makes an affirmation sound, and then his boomerang flight sound. I made a 10 second video of it as well. Anyone wanna check it (listen to it) to verify or post it for me? (have never tried to post a video here)

It does not show up on a legit cart. What I was saying was that all the bootleggers I've seen are not dumping the roms themselves and are just downloading the roms that are readily available online to create their boots. The rom available online for SSVS has the sound issue. I was saying that it is probably a bad dump of one of the sound roms, however it's just a theory as it will be very hard to find someone who will want to desolder the roms from their cart to dump it just to prove the theory. If you want to test it out, open the game up in MAME and try the steps to reproduce the issue. Best to choose Basara as player two as when the announcer is saying the name of the first character there is some background audio that covers it up.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member

Yeah, I remember buying this game new and not being bothered at all. The violence in SSVS makes me cringe these days. If I rebuy this cartridge can I disable the fatalities on MVS in the soft dip, or just blood on/off? I know some (or all?) SS games have a Violence Level 1-3 selection. What level would make this game easier on the stomach for somebody like me? I totally am happy with the amount of violence in SSV and don't really need any more. (Wouldn't mind the blood spray during a finish, but that's as far as I would care to go.)

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Also, just curious, but are there in fact bootlegs of SS5S out there? (personally I have seen them for SS5, but not for SS5S)

There are quite a few out there. Not as many as other games, but they are around. Buddy of mine has a handful on him. I think this was probably due to the fact that the Neo Geo was out the door around the time the game dropped and that arcades were starting to take their decent around that time as well.

Last edited:

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
40 minutes to go, already at 350$ - maybe this is the prototype of all ssVs bootlegs?!

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I knew it would sell high.
It has nothing to do with that whole "Proto" possibility thing. That very well could just be a load of crap. Who cares. It was really because of the game itself. Again, I don't see where one can purchase a bootleg of this game? I've never even seen one myself for that matter. Internet sites or eBay, real or bootleg, you just don't see this game very often, and lots of people want to play it & have it.

And when originals skyrocket in price & plunge in availability, this is the phenomenon that ensues; a high demand for bootlegs of scarce games.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
... I've never even seen one myself for that matter. Internet sites or eBay, real or bootleg, you just don't see this game very often, and lots of people want to play it & have it.

at least, the aes bootleg is very common in europe...err..i mean france.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Anybody here snag it?

RETRIEVE TEH LOUPE

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I knew it would sell high.
It has nothing to do with that whole "Proto" possibility thing. That very well could just be a load of crap. Who cares. It was really because of the game itself. Again, I don't see where one can purchase a bootleg of this game? I've never even seen one myself for that matter. Internet sites or eBay, real or bootleg, you just don't see this game very often, and lots of people want to play it & have it.

And when originals skyrocket in price & plunge in availability, this is the phenomenon that ensues; a high demand for bootlegs of scarce games.

If you do a quick search here at least two or three threads pop up with folks buying bootleg SSVS carts. I bought the game from excellentcom in 2007 and they sent me a boot. I complained and got a real one sent to me. I ended up giving the bootleg away. They certainly exist. There was also a seller in CA a few years back that had a pile of them that were "unofficial". You acting like this is some kind of oddity is a fucking joke. The game is on almost all the multicarts FFS

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
You just said that you bought it back in 2007. (the game came out in 2004) And in an earlier post, someone said they bought it years ago as well. It's 2016! It's been like ten years! What I'm getting at is where and when in recent times can you buy a copy of this game? (multicart aside let's say).

I'm not saying this game is the holy grail, but it sure as hell is extremely rare (the original is quite literally the most expensive MVS cart in the entire library!) and even a bootleg of it fetches almost $500! So what I'm getting at is find me where you can buy a boot for $50? Even $100? YOU CANT!!!