SSVS Proto on Ebay? Confirmed Boot

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The buyers of these should commit seppuku for bringing shame upon themselves and the Neo Geo community.

If you can afford $500 for a boot then why not save up a few more hundred for the real thing? :scratch:

People are getting more stupid every year it seems. Bunch of lemmings following each other off a collectard cliff.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
these aren't one-off's..

probably been distributed over the years through eastern game distro's to customers who never bothered to look under the shell

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
The buyers of these should commit seppuku for bringing shame upon themselves and the Neo Geo community.

If you can afford $500 for a boot then why not save up a few more hundred for the real thing? :scratch:

People are getting more stupid every year it seems. Bunch of lemmings following each other off a collectard cliff.

I agree, but outside of this forum..... 1k on a game vs 500 for a copy that does the same thing is frowned upon. I agree the boot situation is pretty nuts, but at the end of the day it's their money.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I don't think you followed his post. Making your own using real boards was discussed to explain part of the reason why a boot of this game is expensive. And I, like he, very much doubt that boots like this one are still being made in China in 2016 when there is no real money to be made on it anymore (but there was, closer to the games release)

I guess, but... This boot is selling for stupid prices now, and it's nowhere near the bootleg quality or price of doing it with real boards and decent chips.

It's selling now cause, teh rarez and this guy crafting a BS story about being given this game by a SNK employee and being an uber 1337 proto.

Let's step back and remember that not everyone who is into classic gaming and Neo come here and are educated. SS5S boots aren't worth $500+. It's not scarcity and wanting to buy boots cause nothing else is available. That's nonsense. You can still readily get bootlegs of these games from shops like Excellentcom if you contact them... I promise they can find or make them.

The reason so few boots are even showing up in online shops are collectors and gamers only want originals and will pay out the nose for them. If this $500 boot craze was real, they'd be flowing like water around here.

Nope, this asshole lied, created some story about being someone in the know with something that's rare and one of a kind, and idiots ate it up.

StaticX

15 Year Member
If the story is so good, then why is the 2nd game with no dumb snk story going for nearly 50 dollars more then the one with the story? That 2nd cart has like almost a week left to go!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I guess that's what I get for thread skimming and getting pissed off at people spending insane money on a scammers cart... So, yep, fair a fucking 'nuff. Though there is a story on that cart too, albeit not as fanciful:

Up for sale is a rare Samurai Shodown V Special repro cart for the Neo Geo MVS. This cart used all new components and PCBs so you dont have to worry about old recycled ICs or dirty contacts.

The game works and plays great and the program rom even passes the UniBIOS CRC check!

The cart shell and label are all in excellent condition. You will receive the exact cart pictured.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Still being billed as something RAREZ... but I can't explain that. People are stupid... I guess I just explained it? Fair enough. That, and people are looking at last sale prices and are getting ripped off :\ Shitty shit.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Wow, I can admit when I'm wrong and I was definitely wrong on this. One has to wonder if that proto listing itself creating a frenzy or "gotta have it" mentality with the hoarders. Whoever is selling this is brilliant, way to take advantage of the market at the correct time.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
This shit is retarded. must be all the johnny-come-lately folks from metal jesus rocks.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
If anyone here has one for sale for "$50 shipped" as is often the joke muttered here, please contact me. I'll gladly buy it from you. If you have 10 of them, I'll gladly buy all of them.
FLIPPER!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I regret making this thread. Everyone just keeps posting the same shit over and over.

You shouldn't. It was pretty damn eye opening. Here I was a few days ago saying I wish we had a more realistic fake to actually debate, and we got a more interesting turnout instead.

State of the market, I guess... I still have trouble believing it's anything more than a blip, but if this is really the new norm expect the boots to start flooding in soon. Despite what's been said here, they're easy and cheap to make and the people who can will see money to be made.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
This is NOT a $50 game. Anyone here who thinks this game is only worth $50 is obviously wrong as the listings have proven otherwise. If anyone here has one for sale for "$50 shipped" as is often the joke muttered here, please contact me. I'll gladly buy it from you. If you have 10 of them, I'll gladly buy all of them.

It DEFINITELY was originally. After a couple auctions like this, the guys who shat them out originally could potentially make another run. Then they will list them on aliexpress for $120 or something. But, at it's roots it was just another shitty bootleg that through internet hype has achieved a crazy price tag on an auction site flooded with idiots and amateurs.

But you are right. As of right now, it's proven to be a valuable and sought after bootleg.

But like everything in bootlegging, they can bootleg it again and you would be stuck with a $50 bootleg. [adjusted for inflation ;) ]

Edit: translation - this hobby is annoying.

Last edited:

StaticX

15 Year Member
Looks like the other auctions was pulled down or ended early.

Zak

WWJCVDD?,
Did anyone here bid? C'mon be honest :p

StaticX gif is hypnotic...