Best Way to Play Ys?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I've been playing Book 1&2 on Turbo Virtual Console. I love it. My only complaint so far is that seeing where you are in the mine is a pain in the ass. The music is ridiculously good.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Ys Book I & II is hands down my personal favorite moment in gaming from back in the day.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I've been playing Book 1&2 on Turbo Virtual Console. I love it. My only complaint so far is that seeing where you are in the mine is a pain in the ass. The music is ridiculously good.
Great that you're really enjoying the TG16 version of Ys 1&2.Yes it's music really sticks out gotta love that synth that was done by the JDK band.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Did they not make an OST for this game?! I was looking on eBay and Amazon to buy it but can't find anything.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Did they not make an OST for this game?! I was looking on eBay and Amazon to buy it but can't find anything.
There is a soundtrack on iTunes for $5.99.... Not sure if it's the original or not though.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

PC Engine CD games probably had the worst selling OST's of all time because you could just put the game in a regular CD player and play all the tracks that way. :lolz:

EDIT: Although, if your favorite track is one of the chiptune ones you're gonna miss out.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Beat Book 1. Onto Book 2!

Edit: Does anyone know why they split this into two books / games but then put them spliced them together into essentially one game? Were Book 1 and Book 2 released separately when they originally came out on PC-88 or whatever?

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Beat Book 1. Onto Book 2!

Edit: Does anyone know why they split this into two books / games but then put them spliced them together into essentially one game? Were Book 1 and Book 2 released separately when they originally came out on PC-88 or whatever?

The two were originally released separately. The Turbo CD version is one of the few versions, maybe the only version, that has I lead into II with levels, health, and experience points carrying over.

Even the PSP and Steam versions are treated as separate games. You select which game you want to play from the startup menu on the PSP version, and the Steam version gives you two entirely separate games.

Separate games or progress carrying over, it doesn't matter because the Turbo CD's "seamless transition" is simply just a rebalancing of the experience points/levels/health system. You lose everything else when you get to the Ys II part of the game.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The two were originally released separately. The Turbo CD version is one of the few versions, maybe the only version, that has I lead into II with levels, health, and experience points carrying over.

Even the PSP and Steam versions are treated as separate games. You select which game you want to play from the startup menu on the PSP version, and the Steam version gives you two entirely separate games.

Separate games or progress carrying over, it doesn't matter because the Turbo CD's "seamless transition" is simply just a rebalancing of the experience points/levels/health system. You lose everything else when you get to the Ys II part of the game.

Good info. Thanks. Yeah, first thing I did was check my inventory and noticed everything but the books were gone.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I think the proper thing to do is play I & II on Turbo CD. Complete. Then send me the discs. :)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I finished Book II tonight. I liked it but it was nowhere near as good as Book I. I loved the addition of magic, but the shrine and sewers felt way too much like a really frustrating maze. I think I spent more time running around trying to find stuff than actually playing the game. I'm going to take a break from Ys for a bit but will play Book III on Steam soonish.

PS: Has anyone watched the anime adaptations of Books 1 & 2? If it's not that good I'll just watch it online but if it's good I'll grab the DVDs.

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I've watched the anime.

The part 1 anime is classic 80s style, and I love it.
Part 2 is good, but it doesn't follow the story of the games as faithfully as 1 did.
That said, I enjoyed watching them both.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Sooo I started with 3 on the snes. Which is one of my favorite memories. Great game and definitely worth a play through. I did recently play the latest one that came out for the Vita. That game was great!

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I really enjoyed the Steam Verison of YS 1 and 2. Played with a controller. Dark Fact was pretty tough until I figured out how to beat him :p

Did not know Seven was coming to Steam!!!
I loved YS Seven so much I ended up buying the collectors edition haha

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
that's good news. haven't played any of the ys' games past the 16bit era. putting this on my list.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
that's good news. haven't played any of the ys' games past the 16bit era. putting this on my list.

I only finished Ys 1 - 3 on TG-CD. Currently stuck trying to find a translated ISO of Ys 4 on TG-CD. If anyone has that, I would appreciated if he could upload it to G Drive or something and PM me the link.

I've also been waiting for the newer games / remakes to hit consoles. I'm especially looking forward to play Oath in Filghana.

I forgot to mention that Memories of Celista (the Vita game) was poorly ported to PC in China only, but there seems to be a translation patch floating around:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Oh man. This bump reminded me I need to play Ys III. $40 for the Genesis cart is steep. I might just go with the Steam version or emulate the TGCD version.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Oh man. This bump reminded me I need to play Ys III. $40 for the Genesis cart is steep. I might just go with the Steam version or emulate the TGCD version.
TG16 version of Ys III is ok but it lacks the paralax scrolling it's down right choppy.Still,TG16 music is better compared to the genesis&snes versions of Ys III.Still if you want to play the most complete version go with it's remake Ys The Oath in Felghana.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
TG16 version of Ys III is ok but it lacks the paralax scrolling it's down right choppy.Still,TG16 music is better compared to the genesis&snes versions of Ys III.Still if you want to play the most complete version go with it's remake Ys The Oath in Felghana.

Yeah, I think I'll buy Oath of Felghana and get the original OST from iTunes. (I also bought the original and PC-88 OSTs from iTunes recently - they're awesome.)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Is there a difference between the pc and psp ports of Felghana?