Best Way to Play Ys?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Here's what I recommend.

I - Steam/GoG
II - Steam/GoG
III - Play the Oath in Felghana version, Steam/GoG is the best, but the PSP version is also great. If you must play an older version of III, I do recommend the Turbo CD version. It's not nut-kickingly difficult, the soundtrack's awesome, and the voice acting isn't that bad.
IV - I've played all three major versions, the SNES version, the fandubbed PC Engine version, and the PS Vita Memories of Celceta. I didn't like the SNES version, loved the PC Engine version, and enjoyed the Vita version but not as much as the PCE version.
V - I've never played it, but there is the fan translation for the regular version of the SNES game. I don't think there's a translation for V Expert.
VI - I'd go Steam/GoG, but the PS2 version is quite awesome. I'd recommend emulating the PS2 version at 1080p, but then you'd probably have improperly formatted low resolution 2D graphics.
VII - It's largely a PSP-only game, and it's great there. There's a Chinese PC version, but the DRM is a bag of dicks, and last I heard it wasn't fully modded for English. Emulate the PSP version if you must.
VIII - With a PS4 version coming, I've got to think XSeed will push for an English language PC version. There is currently no English version of this game at all that I'm aware of.
Origins - Steam/GoG

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks for all the info, guys! So the TG16 version has aged well and is a better choice than the Steam version?

It's a short game, play both! Overall I like the TG16 version better, but Chronicles is still excellent.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It's a short game, play both! Overall I like the TG16 version better, but Chronicles is still excellent.

Oh I just automatically figured it would be a 30-hour RPG. How many hours for a non-completionist playthrough?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
maybe 12 hours to play through both parts. Ys 1 in particular is really short, but the last tower is literally longer than the rest of the game.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I'm still needing to buy the Turbo Ys I&II CD. That game taunted me as a kid. Anyone else remember the full pages ads in the gamer mags?

FYI, Ys 1 and 2 was also remade for the Nintendo DS a few years back. I played through the first one and I want to say I finished it the same week.

fake

15 Year Member
maybe 12 hours to play through both parts. Ys 1 in particular is really short, but the last tower is literally longer than the rest of the game.

Gotcha. Good info. Thanks.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yeah its short for 2 games. Its basically 1 short rpg with 2 chapters.

I personally think you should start with book 1&2 on turbo. If you want to play in order hit 3. Then 4 on turbo cd. Then i would move on to the psp games you havent played in 2d form yet. Then celceta on vita. PSP would be ys felghana and ys seven. Of course like Jon mentioned napishtim should be played on ps2, but the psp version is solid.

The turbo really is a good place to start. I feel like for some people, like myself it can be hard to go back to the 2d versions of games after playing remakes. Its also cool to play the originals and then you can see in the remakes what direction the developers went.

So after thinking about it again, im kinda contradicting my previous post. But after further consideration i think you should play the originals, the go for the remakes. They play very different and it wont totally feel like youre playing the exact same games again.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
No love for the Apple II GS version of Ys?!?

ysshot2.gif

Not that it's a superior version in any way - it's just the first way I played Ys. Fun times waiting for that 3-1/2" floppy to load every time you talked to a townperson. Pretty sure that the Apple II GS, Master System, and TG-CD were the only English versions available for many years.

That said, I have now played through Ys 1 on six different platforms (one was a pre-smartphone Samsung cell phone), and the best version IMHO is the TG-CD followed by the PSP. Avoid the DS version.

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah its short for 2 games. Its basically 1 short rpg with 2 chapters.

I personally think you should start with book 1&2 on turbo. If you want to play in order hit 3. Then 4 on turbo cd. Then i would move on to the psp games you havent played in 2d form yet. Then celceta on vita. PSP would be ys felghana and ys seven. Of course like Jon mentioned napishtim should be played on ps2, but the psp version is solid.

The turbo really is a good place to start. I feel like for some people, like myself it can be hard to go back to the 2d versions of games after playing remakes. Its also cool to play the originals and then you can see in the remakes what direction the developers went.

So after thinking about it again, im kinda contradicting my previous post. But after further consideration i think you should play the originals, the go for the remakes. They play very different and it wont totally feel like youre playing the exact same games again.

Gotcha. I bought the Steam versions while they're on sale, but I'll start out with the Turbo versions of VC.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Pair them with s. Try to make longer words with them. Great for blocking DW and TW scores if you position the letters well.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Ironically, the Turbo CD version isn't the "original" version.

Yeah, but, good luck finding a working PC-8801 and a copy of the game for a fair price.

If you want to play in order hit 3. Then 4 on turbo cd. .

4 actually happened before 3 chronologically. At the end of 4, Adol and Dogi are going back to Dogi's hometown (Ys III).

Sorry...kinda spoilers there.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Also, I just thought I'd mention an earlier opinion expressed by k'127 on Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana. How does this not look amazing?!

Looks like an updated Ys 7 to me. I really hope it gets announced here soon.

Jon

Tacitus

Staff member
Yeah, but, good luck finding a working PC-8801 and a copy of the game for a fair price.

4 actually happened before 3 chronologically. At the end of 4, Adol and Dogi are going back to Dogi's hometown (Ys III).

Sorry...kinda spoilers there.

Jon

No, great.. just ruin the game for everyone.

:keke:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
No, great.. just ruin the game for everyone.

:keke:

Spoilers for 4 would be something along the lines of "No, Adol does NOT fuck Illia at the end."

AFAIK, that's the last game she's in, too. LOL.

Jon

PS: Oops, ruined it for everyone.

Tacitus

Staff member
Spoilers for 4 would be something along the lines of "No, Adol does NOT fuck Illia at the end."

AFAIK, that's the last game she's in, too. LOL.

Jon

PS: Oops, ruined it for everyone.

You're like Tovah in this thread.. the grandmother and the thief of everyone's sense of mystery.

I hope his imagination is like the last gemmas survivor.

fake

15 Year Member
Pair them with s. Try to make longer words with them. Great for blocking DW and TW scores if you position the letters well.

A true gentleman creates a second word along with the Y extension.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Ironically, the Turbo CD version isn't the "original" version.
What jon said yeah it's more of a arranged version but good enough.Beside it's red book audio i prefer it's music more compared to the PC88 version.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
You're like Tovah in this thread.. the grandmother and the thief of everyone's sense of mystery.

I hope his imagination is like the last gemmas survivor.

Wow, you impress me with your knowledge of forgettable Ys characters who are never mentioned again after Ys II.

...oops. Doing it again.

Jon

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
What jon said yeah it's more of a arranged version but good enough.Beside it's red book audio i prefer it's music more compared to the PC88 version.

Yeah, but the soundtrack made for the PSP/PC version of Ys 1&II kicks so much ass who cares about any other soundtrack? And the guitar in Darm Tower sounds like a cat getting its testicles ripped off in the Turbo CD version. (EDIT: Holy shit, you edited your post while I was making mine and you added the song with the dying cat castration into your post. Not helping your cause here, bro.)

Seriously, the PC version on Steam/GoG is the definitive definitive edition. You look up definitive edition in the dictionary, and you see a picture of that version of the game. It's that good.

EDIT 2: Here's the superior version of that song from the PSP/PC version.

This version is so good that it makes my dick rock hard.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Yeah, but the soundtrack made for the PSP/PC version of Ys 1&II kicks so much ass who cares about any other soundtrack? And the guitar in Darm Tower sounds like a cat getting its testicles ripped off in the Turbo CD version.

Seriously, the PC version on Steam/GoG is the definitive definitive edition. You look up definitive edition in the dictionary, and you see a picture of that version of the game. It's that good.
I grew up on the TG16 version so i have a soft spot for it.I didn't play the remake until a few years ago on the psp.It's,good game in it's own right but it doesn't replace my nostalgia for the TG16 one.

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I grew up on the TG16 version so i have a soft spot for it.I didn't play the remake until a few years ago on the psp.It's a good game in it's own right but it doesn't replace my nostalgia for the TG16 one.

I also have a soft spot for the Turbo CD version. It was the first version I played and fell in love with, and I still love playing it. I first played it on the Wii Virtual Console. I eventually got a PC Engine Duo-R and the US Turbo CD version of I&II. I finally got the US version of III and loved that, too, though I did play it after I played Oath in Felghana.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Ys1 and 2 is short and enjoyable enough that there is literally no reason you shouldn't play BOTH versions.

geise

Mickey's Coach
As others have mention definitely play Ys Book I & II on the Turbo first. Even with the crappy scrolling in Ys III for the Turbo it's still my favorite version due to the amazing soundtrack. For Ark of Napishtim you really are doing yourself a dis-service if you are not playing it on PC. Same goes for Felghana and Origins. The games look so good even on a low end PC. Also, if people want to support Falcom but not dick pick Deuce you can buy fairly easy directly from Falcom themselves. That's what I did. Napishtim and Origins were fan translated by other people well before they were on Steam. Felghana and Ys Eternal are the only PC Ys games Deuce translated before he went to XSEED. Anyways definitely play Ys 1-4 on the Turbo first. I still have yet to really want to play Ys V and I'd just skip it and go to Napishtim - Origins. I would play Ys 7 and Ys Celceta last. Very good games but way different in play style and battle system.

Last edited: