Best Way to Play Ys?

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
I started playing the Ys games last year, starting with Book 1 & 2 on Turbo.
I then played 3 on Turbo and then moved on to the Super Famicom version of IV (Mask Of The Sun) as it is supposed to be proper canon, even though Dawn of Ys on the PCE/Grafx is the superior game. I finished that and Will be playing Dawn of Ys next. I then plan on playing everything else in order of release!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I started playing the Ys games last year, starting with Book 1 & 2 on Turbo.
I then played 3 on Turbo and then moved on to the Super Famicom version of IV (Mask Of The Sun) as it is supposed to be proper canon, even though Dawn of Ys on the PCE/Grafx is the superior game. I finished that and Will be playing Dawn of Ys next. I then plan on playing everything else in order of release!
That's perfect! Good luck on your journey. Things are about to change a lot when you get to 5 and beyond!

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Is there a difference between the pc and psp ports of Felghana?

Not really, both are done by XSEED (now Marvelous USA) and I would think both have the same translations, so the PC one probably has better resolution maybe? I played on the PSP myself and I agree with TRON, it's really well done. Probably my favorite of all the more recently done games on the PSP, the soundtrack is also phenomenal.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Yeah, I think I'll buy Oath of Felghana and get the original OST from iTunes. (I also bought the original and PC-88 OSTs from iTunes recently - they're awesome.)
It's worth it i have the psp version which includes the ost.Though the TG16 version of Ys III is funny just for having bad voice acting.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
How does the DS version of I and II stack up? I've seen the case of the game but no one seems to ever talk about it. I wanted to probably get it on PSP just so there's a large collection on one platform but not sure yet. Seems there's a consensus on the TG-16 version.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
How does the DS version of I and II stack up? I've seen the case of the game but no one seems to ever talk about it. I wanted to probably get it on PSP just so there's a large collection on one platform but not sure yet. Seems there's a consensus on the TG-16 version.

It's good, although I wouldn't play it with the stylus, ever, as you're asking for instant death.

My only problem with the PSP and DS remakes is they're basically the same game. Not to mention they're actually ports of a remake of Ys I and II that was released by Digicube back in 2001 on PS2.

I definitely think it's time for a new remake.

Jon

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I consider the DS version the weaker port personally. The PSP one plays very nice on the larger screen/TV if you want and the soundtrack switching is cool. I'd say the only leg up on the DS version is the included soundtrack that came with it originally, unless you're talking about the PSP LE which also came with the OST.

toaks

n00b
I have always been interested in this series as well, but the amount of sequels available it is difficult to know where to start.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I have always been interested in this series as well, but the amount of sequels available it is difficult to know where to start.

Straight up. Start at the beginning. Take it from me, who only started the series a year ago. Play I&II on TG-16 or VC. You'll blow right through the first one. Second one is a little more involved, but I def. recommend playing and completing them back-to-back.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Xseed is truly one of the best in the biz. Even after I pay for the game, I feel like I still owe them, years later.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
This is curious timing with Ys IX due out as early as September. Still worthwhile, but usually you do a port of an old game in the long interval between new releases, not as the new one is about to come out.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Is this a remake / remaster? Or a new game?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Remaster of a Vita game, which is a remake / re-imagined version of Ys IV (it's been on Steam since 2018 btw).

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Remaster of a Vita game, which is a remake / re-imagined version of Ys IV (it's been on Steam since 2018 btw).

TY. I should play the version of Ys III I have on Steam...