CPS2 ISSUES

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
So acouple of weeks ago I bought my first 3 A+B grey asia boards. The previous owner had notes written on the cases
SFA2G- work, sound is low/bad, slight hum
SSF2- N/A
XmenvsSF- works, no sound, bad fan

I think the issue is more with the A boards because when i first tested them i switched them around and got them all working. I was waiting for my kickharness to come in before i played/tested them more. I recently swapped out the batteries due to them being the orginals.
Now they dont seem to be working as well, im getting a funky screen on xmenvsSf. The other two are working intermittently.
Out of the 3 A boards i was able to figure out which one seems to work the best. It just needs the fan replaced.

My question is, other than cleaning the jamma connector when i open the A board. Are there any other things i should be on the look out for while i have it open? Im new to cps2 but its my next favorite platform after MVS.

Attachments

• 13548702_1765918876988594_1360435865_o.jpg
    13548702_1765918876988594_1360435865_o.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 13493643_1764350627145419_784562511_o.jpg
    13493643_1764350627145419_784562511_o.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
In this type of situation you need to have at least one constant, that being knowing for certain if you have at least one good A or B board. What you are working with is 6 variables because you don't know for 100 percent sure if any of the boards are fully functional.

Do you have any members near you with a working grey A board at least. If you cleaned and check the contacts for damage/cold solder/etc and that is not a possible fault you must use a know working A board from a different source.

Between you and me I don't even bother trying to find grey A boards because even I had problem getting them in any significant numbers. What I do now is just mod grey B boards over to blue/green ones.

grey2_zpsauf9csxn.jpg

grey1_zpsq1x5dw1s.jpg

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If you haven't already try taking out the B Board pcb without the casing and mounting it onto the A board. The Xmen COTA I have had this problem as the asshat seller forgot to mention one of the inside mounting things was broke. With this in mind it meant when you try to mate the A+B board there isn't anything holding pressure on that side of the pin connector when trying to mate thus it not being in all the way. Luckily I fixed it with a nut and screw on both ends.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
mainman- Yeah a constant will def be ideal, ill ask acouple of ppl, but grey boards just arent that common. Where can I find the things i need to mod a grey over to blue board?

ChuChu- I will def give that a try. Would using the clips that hold the A+B board be the same thing or i should try taking the pcb out for to see?

thanks guys

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
I would try clips first if you have them then try bare B board on top of A board cased. Just make sure you push down firmly on each of the four socket pins so it makes good contact.

i've always kept my B boards mated with an A board except one since the connectors are not the best. It makes switching games ez-pz and no worries about bent pins. Luckily none of mine require the clips.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
cool, will do today or tomorrow when i have time, its just frustrating to be testing 3 different A boards and especially since im using an adapter in my neo cab. lol I was HOT last night when I was first messing with this.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
You are using an adapter?

Have you made sure at the jamma edge that the game is getting 5.0v-5.10? Those adapters like to drop voltage a lot.CPS2 acts wonky if it doesnt get enough power.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Ill put that on my to do list when i feel like having a headache and messing around with the cps2 stuff lol

thanks again man, i havent had any issue with my tekken board using this adapter, but its a good point.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
mainman- Yeah a constant will def be ideal, ill ask acouple of ppl, but grey boards just arent that common. Where can I find the things i need to mod a grey over to blue board?

I would definitely like a set of those connectors to be able to put a Grey B board onto a Blue/Green A board, if they're easily available.

I would make sure all the pins look nice on the connectors as well, they can easily get bent and that'll cause you problems as well. If they're all good I would first do some of the things suggested above, check voltage first (especially under load), and if that's all good, take the B boards out of their case and try and connect them to make sure they're getting a good connection.

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
Press and hold the volume down button, turn on the cab, and release once the boot screen come up. Sometime you have to reset the volume parameters.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
1) Asians, tisk tisk
2) they shot a load on that SF case!

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
XED- I will give that a try also when i mess with it today.

Neodogg- Yeah, thats what i said when i picked up the games lol. "fuck you americans!" *jizz jizz*

i cleaned them up after changing the batteries though

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
So I had time to mess around with the CPS2 boards last night. My kickharness and fan came in from James. So i threw in the new fan and hooked up the kickharness. I still dont have a constant. so this is basically what is going on after cleaning.

Aboard 1- SFA2 works np, xmenvssf i get that funky looking screen, SSF2 i get sound but graphics have vertical lines in them

Aboard 2- SSF2 works no sound(super fidgety though, if you barely touch the BBoard the lines will show but go away), xmenvssf shows a blue screen, Didnt test sfa2

Aboard 3- Only got to test xmen vs sf, game boots up perfectly only thing is the volume is at full blast, its missing the volume down button so i shut it off, was like midnight so i stopped there. When i get home today im gong to throw the volume control buttons from Aboard 2 into this one. If i can get all 3 games working on this one looks like i found the best one.

How is it possible for xmenvssf to not work at all on 2 other boards but work fine on 1? And I did do the volume reset on all the boards, it only made a difference on Aboard 1.

edit- i tried booting games up with clips and without clips

Last edited:

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
I can only guess the 2 board are not seating properly. All the pin look good on the a boards? Gently push on the connector on the b board. Are they springy? If so one of the stud in the Shell case broke off. Just decase it and try again

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
If you got perfectly working boards on two different A boards, that would probably suggest a connection problem between the different A & B boards.

Decase the B boards, make sure you press them together firmly and try again. Also, check all the pins on the A board are good.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
So i swapped out the volume controls and tested that A board. SFA2 and XMvsSF worked but i was having graphical issues with SSF2. I checked the pins on the B board and noticed a hairline fracture in the plastic right next to one of the pins. I guess this could be the issue.
I opened up the B boards first and reseated them first before testing them. The thing that got me mad was after testing all three games i went back to test the games on the other board that sfa2 was working on and none of them booted up correctly.
Can i just spray the connectors with contact cleaner and let the drip dry? I know its not a good idea to use a toothbrush since itll probably damage a pin.

how often is the battery in the aboard supposed to be replaced? Not saying thats the issue, just curious

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
So i swapped out the volume controls and tested that A board. SFA2 and XMvsSF worked but i was having graphical issues with SSF2. I checked the pins on the B board and noticed a hairline fracture in the plastic right next to one of the pins. I guess this could be the issue.
I opened up the B boards first and reseated them first before testing them. The thing that got me mad was after testing all three games i went back to test the games on the other board that sfa2 was working on and none of them booted up correctly.
Can i just spray the connectors with contact cleaner and let the drip dry? I know its not a good idea to use a toothbrush since itll probably damage a pin.

how often is the battery in the aboard supposed to be replaced? Not saying thats the issue, just curious
Battery change after 4-5 years to be safe. They last longer though