AES 3-3 red scrolling screen

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi, I have unexpectedly inherited a non working bare AES console today. The guy told me the console does not boot up.
The board version is 3-3 visually checks well and the tag below the casing is missing.
I have temporarily supplied the board with a 9v / 1.2A psu with negative tip and gotten video from composite cable for testing purpose. The boot up was done w/o cart since i have none available.
A not solid red screen keeps scrolling down comes up every time.
red scrolling.jpg
Couldn't find any thread about that particular issue.
Any advise for me ?

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Update, while looking at the board closely I notice the capacitor 16v 470uF located near the reset button seems physically not sound.Cap 470uF.jpg
I will replace it first and update accordingly.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
2nd update, after having replaced the capacitor I get a solid blue screen during boot up.
There is now though a black bar scrolling down. I guess I'll wait for a friend to lend me an AES cart to test further.
Based on other threads from this forum solid blue screen is a good sign :glee:
Blue screen.jpg

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
NTSC 60hz mod

I have finally been able to confirm the good working condition of the AES Neo Geo :D
(tested with Samurai Shodown 1) easy fix

During the repair I came to realize the AES is PAL 50hz hence I have looked up for some info within the forum.
At first I had installed a crystal 3.579545 and removed the jumpers PAL1 & 2 and add jumper NTSC.
It ended up with sync or refresh rate display issues
In the end I have re-installed the jumper PAL 1 only and now the image is stable and clear.

My question is as follows, Is the console now running PAL 60hz instead of NTSC 60hz?

I do not have a MVS version of SS1 to compare with but the game runs rather slow.

Refresh rate.jpg

PAL1.jpg

PAL2  NTSC.jpg

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I have finally been able to confirm the good working condition of the AES Neo Geo :D
(tested with Samurai Shodown 1) easy fix

During the repair I came to realize the AES is PAL 50hz hence I have looked up for some info within the forum.
At first I had installed a crystal 3.579545 and removed the jumpers PAL1 & 2 and add jumper NTSC.
It ended up with sync or refresh rate display issues
In the end I have re-installed the jumper PAL 1 only and now the image is stable and clear.

My question is as follows, Is the console now running PAL 60hz instead of NTSC 60hz?

I do not have a MVS version of SS1 to compare with but the game runs rather slow.

You can look for videos of Samurai Shodown on youtube and compare if the speed is the same or not on your system. Also listen for the music, it's usually easier to spot slower music than slower graphics. For me, at least YMMV.

Regards.