Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE for WiiU

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Anybody pick this up? It's said to include characters from Persona and Fire Embelm. I started a game about 1/2 hour and it's pretty trippy! Getting good reviews on Metacritic.

This will have to hold us until P5 comes out.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Amazon delivered the LE this afternoon, I haven't cracked it open yet though.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Yeah, got the LE too. Really nice box set, haven't played it yet though.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I didn't know there was an LE. Is it worth it? What's in it? I have a feeling this will be one where it will be worth it. I'm surprised this isn't on PS4.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I want to get the regular edition soon. I haven't played my Wii U in quite some time so it will be nice to fire it up again.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I could go for a Tokyo massage session right about now.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I don't buy games that have been changed just so SJWs and feminists won't be offended.

Also that name is fucking stupid.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I don't buy games that have been changed just so SJWs and feminists won't be offended.

Also that name is fucking stupid.

tell us about the changes oh great ignorer? save me money!

-SD-

Camel Slug
I didn't know there was an LE. Is it worth it? What's in it? I have a feeling this will be one where it will be worth it. I'm surprised this isn't on PS4.

The UK LE contains an Art book, soundtrack CD and some stickers. No idea if the US version is different again this time but I image it'll be mostly the same.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
tell us about the changes oh great ignorer? save me money!

It doesn't surprise me that Nintendo would cave SJWs and feminists. What's foolish is those people don't even PLAY these games!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Just remember that in the minds of some, the SJWs are a small and isolated group that aren't making enough noise to alter the industry trajectory.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
It got censored so the game could keep a Teen rating.

Do remember, pelvic bones and cleavage in a japanese game will earn a M rating in the US. (Persona games typically have an M rating).

They aged the characters to 18, probably because video game depiction of minors is a legal hellhole in the US and Britain.

Still not as bad as the censoring Xenosaga got, so I got the game, its fun, the editing of Tsubasa's cleavage is amusing but doesn't take away from the game.

Not buying will not stop this practice.

You want to change things, learn to program, then make a game.

P.S. The game is fun, I've played about 6 hours into it. Not as hard as Persona 4, but definitely an RPG worth getting on the WiiU.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
In terms of wether to get it.

Difficulty
Unlike Persona this game does not have a time-cost to exiting and revisiting a dungeon, it also does have replenishment potions (EP... the game's term for magic points), and if you exit the dungeon you can visit a vending machine which is sort of like an Inn.

It has warp points that let you skip floors.

The layouts are not randomized.

On the other hand, this game does not hold your hand much, this is not final fantasy. You have to pace yourself, be a little smart on selecting who to attack whom. Only the first dungeon had a healing object right before the boss.

So if you like an RPG that's harder than Final Fantasy but not as unforgiving as Persona, this is a good fit.

Combat

Its turn based, if you've played persona 4, you'll grok it immediately. Once you've figured out a creature's weakness it highlights it when you select an attack. But I would consider Trails of Cold Steel or Grandia to have better combat.

The Fire Emblem RPS with weapons adds one bit.... you have to pay attention, if you hit an enemy's weakness, your party members may join in and get extra attacks in. But the enemy can do the same thing to you.

Plot/Setting

Not as dark/psychological as Persona 4, but it retains the surreal WTF weirdness. (One of the puzzles is manipulating a giant doll dress, that you crawl through the sleeves to access the next floor.) The Fire Emblem characters all feel like they walked off a snuff film.

I think a big reason why they stuck to the T rating and toned bits down is, the overall game comes across like a little girl's show about pop music directed by the writers of Invader Zim.

If you can sit through My Little Pony or K-On, the underlying gameplay makes this an amazing game.

Otherwise, you might just want to wait for Persona 5.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
In terms of wether to get it.

Difficulty
Unlike Persona this game does not have a time-cost to exiting and revisiting a dungeon, it also does have replenishment potions (EP... the game's term for magic points), and if you exit the dungeon you can visit a vending machine which is sort of like an Inn.

It has warp points that let you skip floors.

The layouts are not randomized.

On the other hand, this game does not hold your hand much, this is not final fantasy. You have to pace yourself, be a little smart on selecting who to attack whom. Only the first dungeon had a healing object right before the boss.

So if you like an RPG that's harder than Final Fantasy but not as unforgiving as Persona, this is a good fit.

Combat

Its turn based, if you've played persona 4, you'll grok it immediately. Once you've figured out a creature's weakness it highlights it when you select an attack. But I would consider Trails of Cold Steel or Grandia to have better combat.

The Fire Emblem RPS with weapons adds one bit.... you have to pay attention, if you hit an enemy's weakness, your party members may join in and get extra attacks in. But the enemy can do the same thing to you.

Plot/Setting

Not as dark/psychological as Persona 4, but it retains the surreal WTF weirdness. (One of the puzzles is manipulating a giant doll dress, that you crawl through the sleeves to access the next floor.) The Fire Emblem characters all feel like they walked off a snuff film.

I think a big reason why they stuck to the T rating and toned bits down is, the overall game comes across like a little girl's show about pop music directed by the writers of Invader Zim.

If you can sit through My Little Pony or K-On, the underlying gameplay makes this an amazing game.

Otherwise, you might just want to wait for Persona 5.

Thanks for the impressions. Honesty, I saw the artwork of the game and noticed is was an Atlus game on Amazon and pre-ordered. I came in blind thinking it would be a fun JRPG. I wish this were on the Vita or especially 3DS though. Seems like it would be a good fit for either system.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Thanks for the impressions. Honesty, I saw the artwork of the game and noticed is was an Atlus game on Amazon and pre-ordered. I came in blind thinking it would be a fun JRPG. I wish this were on the Vita or especially 3DS though. Seems like it would be a good fit for either system.

The dungeons are way too long for a portable. If this had been a 3DS game, sure I'd still have it, but its not like I could use it on the go for 30 minute segments.

It wouldn't fit the Vita really.... I mean there's no spanking/petting/tickling minigame for them to censor.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That amount of minor censorship is completely understandable. It's also very minor.
You can't sexualize minors and expect to get away with it in NA market. It's no different than Bravely Default. A game that had 13 year old kids running around in their underwear in Jp.

Perv out on 18+ dating sims if you are so angered by this type of censorship. Otherwise you are just a creep.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

Not worth doing IMHO, you can watch the original Tsubasa video on youtube, and the biggest change (AFAIK) is Chapter 2 dungeon. The altered scene works fine, (except one line of dialogue from the mirage boss). Still not as bad as having a child push empty air into her dead mother because.... they censored out the blood.

Or as hillarious as find/replacing beer with coffee :)

Edit:
I'm not sure its prudishness that directed these changes, it might just be that they felt it easier to forgive a director if the shots he was doing seemed like normal modeling shots that teenagers would do.

After all, plenty of cleavage and what-not from the older female characters.

My biggest grief so far was some of it was just not done cleanly and seemed a bit of a hack-job.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I forgot SO5 was close to this release. I'm putting this game on the back burner until I play through SO5.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
That amount of minor censorship is completely understandable. It's also very minor.
You can't sexualize minors and expect to get away with it in NA market. It's no different than Bravely Default. A game that had 13 year old kids running around in their underwear in Jp.

Perv out on 18+ dating sims if you are so angered by this type of censorship. Otherwise you are just a creep.

I think whats more hilarious is pretending a certain arrangement of pixels is real and therefor justifying censorship.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think whats more hilarious is pretending a certain arrangement of pixels is real and therefor justifying censorship.

Fair point. but you can't portray those pixels as a sexualized preteen girl with your story and dialogue and expect to get away with it in the rest of the world.
It would be nice if there was a toggle or something.

Either way, it's a JRPG. what do i care. lol