Actual, real Garou: MOTW 2 sprites revealed.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
No doubt developing for the Neo-Geo by that point had to be a real pain in the butt, especially when trying to make a game that would top MOTW, which already pushed the system to its limits.

I get a feeling that if KOF 14 does well, we have a fairly decent chance at seeing a new true Fatal Fury game in some shape or form.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
We don't move on from good films or good music, so why would it be time to move on from good games? You're on a Neo Geo forum in the year 2016 for godsake. It's not not like I don't play modern games when they're good, I'm just happy that games I love are sticking around so that more people can see and experience them, and so I can sharthem with my friends.

So your excited that its being rereleased because you want more exposure to the game? Or you want to be able to play it? Cause I play all the old games I want online , for free using fightcade. It's cool to have on a new system if its done right. But if not why bother?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So your excited that its being rereleased because you want more exposure to the game? Or you want to be able to play it? Cause I play all the old games I want online , for free using fightcade. It's cool to have on a new system if its done right. But if not why bother?

Both. I want more exposure for the game, and I want to be able to play with my friends.

My scrub friends who are not fightcade literate.

Also, I just prefer playing games on console over PC when I'm given the option, similar to how I prefer playing games on arcade over console, when I'm given the option.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Both. I want more exposure for the game, and I want to be able to play with my friends.

My scrub friends who are not fightcade literate.

Also, I just prefer playing games on console over PC when I'm given the option, similar to how I prefer playing games on arcade over console, when I'm given the option.

eh im sort of like that too. I just like to play games as intended with the least amount of strings attached. I hate tinkering with settings so I'll opp for console port on actual hardware over PC emulation anyday of the week.

PC is super convenient though.

Missile

Another Striker
As for a new Neo Geo release. People would pay $1000 dollars for it easy. They'd all know they could sell it for twice as much in a years time. Hell they'd be buying 2 copies: 1 to keep, the 2nd one to pay for their first copy!

As for the sprites. Looks like SNK was planning on doing the same kind of sequel as Last Blade 2 was to Last Blade - pretty much the same game with some extra stuff. I also agree the new chracters look uninspired and bland. Still it's good to see them. Thanks Oda!

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
eh im sort of like that too. I just like to play games as intended with the least amount of strings attached. I hate tinkering with settings so I'll opp for console port on actual hardware over PC emulation anyday of the week.

PC is super convenient though.

I agree as well. Love consoles so much more.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Additional information regarding the identity of some of the characters from this sprite table was revealed during an interview in the 4gamer TGS2016 stream.

The female in the bottom row (third from left) is Joe's female student.

The young boxer character is an ally with Kain and Rock (apparently a manager/caretaker for Rock). Gato's father is also present in the sprites (bottom right). Gato's sprites where also going to have his eyes modified to reflect the events from his ending.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GznFMtbgeg*
*jump to 3:56:00

Fygee

20 Year Member
Nice! Thanks for the info and link!

Fygee

20 Year Member
If it ever happens, its not going to be a 2D sprite based game, so don't get your hopes up.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Guess it all comes down to KOFXIV sales, if XIV bombs out it'll be a pretty hard sell and SNK ain't in the business of love no more.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
If it ever happens, its not going to be a 2D sprite based game, so don't get your hopes up.

While this is true, I'd be happy with them just continuing the story. Even if they used a modified version of the KOF XIV engine that played more like MOTW, I'd be okay with that.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ They did add just defends to KOF XIV. It's just mostly de-powered. From what I remember you don't take guard damage.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
This is very cool.

Those two pics are great.
Maybe we get some more info on the near future on this matter ...

Looking forward ..this was unexpected

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/nobuyuki-kuroki-snk/

No new details added. Just a re-confirmation that the animations were nearly finished, and that they would shift to 3D if they were to make the game again.

How close was the sequel in development and were you involved in this project?

Yes, I worked on the sequel too.

Regarding Garou: Mark of the Wolves 2, the animation work was almost done. It’s really a shame that the project broke down.

If we could use a lot of our fans requests, I think we could show GMOW2 not in 2D art style but in 3D. Our dev team wants to think about it, someday.

I don’t know why the project got derailed but I think that it was probably due to the bankruptcy.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Chances are that MotW2 would have probably turned out to be one of the greatest fighting games of all time makes this whole sad story even sadder.

Could have been also the opposite. The predecessor being already the greatest, while the successor becoming a disappointment. But whatever it may have been, it's impossible not to agree on the sadness part.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Could have been also the opposite. The predecessor being already the greatest, while the successor becoming a disappointment. But whatever it may have been, it's impossible not to agree on the sadness part.

I base my idea on the fact that SNK looked after their most prized franchises. Whilst there is a chance the sequel would have dissapointed, I think they where talented enough and inspired enough to steer this ship

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
What's really surprising is the that that Eolith or Playmore didn't just decide to take what (little) SNK had and make it into their own game. I can think of at least 3 different examples where they did just that...SVC Chaos, KOF2K1, and 2k2. Would have been the perfect time to do it, too. Arcades had a mini-revival, at least where I lived.

Jon

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
What's really surprising is the that that Eolith or Playmore didn't just decide to take what (little) SNK had and make it into their own game. I can think of at least 3 different examples where they did just that...SVC Chaos, KOF2K1, and 2k2. Would have been the perfect time to do it, too. Arcades had a mini-revival, at least where I lived.

Jon

This 100%.

After finding out in the past couple of years just how close to completion Garou 2 really was, it’s shocking that SNK didn’t simply touch up and release what they had during the Playmore years. Projects like KOF 94 rebout and the Garou Densetsu ost box w/ the Garou MotW audio drama got off the ground in a time where SNK Playmore was trying to celebrate the anniversaries of the kof and garou series. That would have been the perfect time to release a touched up sequel to Garou MotW. Oh well.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Considering most of the animations were done, if they still have that data, it would ideal for them to just finish the game and release it on the usual port platforms (Switch, PC, etc.).

Retro graphics are more popular than ever, and they could import them into a modern engine and make a true retro classic.

Regardless, I'll take a sequel whether it's 2D or 3D.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It's been stated before the game wasn't released because of Aruze. It got lost when the switch from SNK to Playmore took place. If they had it, more then likely it would have been released around the time of '98UM and 02'UM since they revisited and finished up titles then.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
It's been stated before the game wasn't released because of Aruze. It got lost when the switch from SNK to Playmore took place. If they had it, more then likely it would have been released around the time of '98UM and 02'UM since they revisited and finished up titles then.

they should've put the game code in the cloud

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Sad this never was a reality. MOTW is not only still one of my favorite SNK games but favorite fighting games as well. Now if only they had the same team and could do a sequel today. Hell borrow the engine from Draginball FighterZ and make it shine. I know it's not 2D sprites, but it would look badass IMO.