Actual, real Garou: MOTW 2 sprites revealed.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Its clear that their direction is current hardware. In the very, very small chance MOTW2 gets finished, it would never see the light of day on actual Neo-Geo hardware.

Agreed.

Even if they could produce any new game on MVS or AES carts, why would they? How in the hell would that be cost effective for them? If they created any new games, I would only expect them to be on either current consoles or PC's. Anything else is not just unrealistic, but not profitable. Sure it would be cool, but come on.

The argument that people here on NG would pay top dollar for a new cart I'm sure wouldn't mean shit to them. Why would it? Sorry guys it's a niche/dying market. The people on this forum aren't the only customers they would hope to have. If that was their goal, they already would be losing money as soon as they started production.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I hope after they release MOTW2 they'll do AOF4. I think it could sell a bajillion copies, they just need to fix the knockdowns and put it on a shiny AES cart and charge 1000 bucks for it.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
great find and glad to hear things at snk are turning around for the better just bought a xbox one copy of gmotw for 5 bucks on live

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Agreed.

Even if they could produce any new game on MVS or AES carts, why would they? How in the hell would that be cost effective for them? If they created any new games, I would only expect them to be on either current consoles or PC's. Anything else is not just unrealistic, but not profitable. Sure it would be cool, but come on.

The argument that people here on NG would pay top dollar for a new cart I'm sure wouldn't mean shit to them. Why would it? Sorry guys it's a niche/dying market. The people on this forum aren't the only customers they would hope to have. If that was their goal, they already would be losing money as soon as they started production.

A limited premium release for Neo Geo alongside other devices might work. Obviously making it exclusive to NEO GEO would be stupid but what about releasing it on PC PS4 XBONE NX AND NEO GEO?

I dont know the specifics on manufacturing costs and what not but im sure there are a LOT of people who would be willing to pay a premium for an official SNK produced MotW 2 Neo Geo cart. I mean if they release it at standard price like $60 then yeah its probably not worth it but maybe if they were to charge a premium like a few hundred dollars a cart or something idk...

Plus Neo-Geo.com is not the whole consumer base. I mean a lot of Neo owners are on here but you'd be crazy to think that this forum has anywhere close to everyone in the world.

Not like I care either way. I don't own a Neo Geo and don't plan on buying one anytime soon. It would be awesome though. Same goes for SEGA NINTENDO and SONY. It would be cool for them to release new games on legacy consoles once in a while. Even at a premium.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Just buying a home cart brand new when they were interested in releasing them was $340.00. Considering this would be a special release that would cost even more how much are people willing to pay for this reasonably? $500? $700?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Damn really?! Didnt know they were THAT expensive.

Then yeah we're probably talking more then 500 dollars per cart at least...and who knows if that'll even be enough to cover manufacturing costs.....then again there's always China :)

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
A simple typing of the six letters "neogeo" on google comes up with the usual eBay & Wikipedia entries and then the very first hit beneath those is this website. So for the record, this place may not be known to everyone in the video game world, but when anyone in the world searches, they find it immediately. So it is more powerful then most people might think.

However, regardless of that, SNK making a Garou 2 game, or any other sequel for that matter to any neogeo game, would be unrecognizable with today's graphic artists & programmers. It would be 80% eye candy and 20% gameplay, just like every other cookie cutter Sony & Microsoft hardware based game out there. Absolute garbage. But that is the billion dollar video game industry today, and that is what sells every year. So obviously the world disagrees with me. But for me, it doesn't interest me in the least.

Unless it was designed & programmed from 1990 - 2004 by SNK or one of its' third party licensees, then it's not a real neogeo game, and it never will be. You get together a small representative sample group of an original programming team and have them put together or finish up a neogeo hardware based game, then I'd probably buy it just out of curiosity & respect for the legacy. And I would gladly pay the $300 or $500 or whatever asking price for a cartridge. But I would never pay $50 for some PS4 or Xbox1 drink coaster. I wouldn't even take it for free.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Man, that would be some shit, wouldn't it... If SNK decided to drop on us a cache of unreleased gems. It will never happen, of course, and the market here is nil. Absolutely nil. They'd struggle to sell 500 copies when they need to sell hundreds of thousands to justify their expenses and development these days... Opportunity cost and everything. Still, wouldn't that be something.

Our best bet is if there are still unreleased, or almost finished games in archives somewhere that bubble to the surface. We'll be doing the rest of the releases here as a community, like with Ironclad and the beautiful labor of love, Crossed Swords 2... Not to mention the killer indie projects of Kurtz and the NG-Dev team. There is still hope that we find a few pieces of SNK history, and can do our own releases... I really hope there are a few more things found in finished or nearly finished states. Darkseed, was an eye opener of just how random some of these finds can be.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
If someone is willing to pay $600 for a Boot SSV-special I see no problem on selling a brand new official SNK-P GMOTW 2.

No neo-geo.com is not the whole fanbase that is why there are other neogeo dedicated forums in English, French, Spanish that I know of who knows maybe there are even more, thinking that this is the only place is delusional.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
A simple typing of the six letters "neogeo" on google comes up with the usual eBay & Wikipedia entries and then the very first hit beneath those is this website. So for the record, this place may not be known to everyone in the video game world, but when anyone in the world searches, they find it immediately. So it is more powerful then most people might think.

However, regardless of that, SNK making a Garou 2 game, or any other sequel for that matter to any neogeo game, would be unrecognizable with today's graphic artists & programmers. It would be 80% eye candy and 20% gameplay, just like every other cookie cutter Sony & Microsoft hardware based game out there. Absolute garbage. But that is the billion dollar video game industry today, and that is what sells every year. So obviously the world disagrees with me. But for me, it doesn't interest me in the least.

Unless it was designed & programmed from 1990 - 2004 by SNK or one of its' third party licensees, then it's not a real neogeo game, and it never will be. You get together a small representative sample group of an original programming team and have them put together or finish up a neogeo hardware based game, then I'd probably buy it just out of curiosity & respect for the legacy. And I would gladly pay the $300 or $500 or whatever asking price for a cartridge. But I would never pay $50 for some PS4 or Xbox1 drink coaster. I wouldn't even take it for free.

I don't see, say, Examu (Yuki Enterprises) finishing Samurai Shodown 5 Special Final being completely implausible. They're still very much an active company, and a person that I know that worked with them said they typically would have around 4 physical copies of unrealeased games intended for location tests and held on to everything. Maybe it wouldn't be a "new" title, but I know fans would eat that game up.

I'll say though, i'd prefer a Garou MOTW with a larger roster. That game truly deserved a sequel. :)

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
As much as I'd love to see it, if SNK can't be bothered to invest in an Iron Galaxy / Marvel Origins / 3SOE quality online edition of any of their old games with high budget presentation and actually useable net code, then I doubt they'd go for doing something that obscure. Don't get me wrong I'm stoked about LB2 and MOTW getting PS4 / VITA releases, but they are blatant lowest-possible-budget releases.

I mean jesus SNK, you can just license GGPO, you don't even have to MAKE the net code, just BUY IT! IT ALREADY EXISTS!

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If someone is willing to pay $600 for a Boot SSV-special I see no problem on selling a brand new official SNK-P GMOTW 2.

No neo-geo.com is not the whole fanbase that is why there are other neogeo dedicated forums in English, French, Spanish that I know of who knows maybe there are even more, thinking that this is the only place is delusional.

Thinking SNK could sell more than a couple hundred copies of MOTW2 on MVS or AES is delusional. I don't care if you post about it on every forum that has even mentioned the letters SNK, there just aren't that many people out there to recoup the price of doing this game by a big company.

SNK is not in the market of boutique runs for niche gamers. They want to sell big on current gen and relevant platforms in order to actually survive as a company, and not die a third death.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
As much as I'd love to see it, if SNK can't be bothered to invest in an Iron Galaxy / Marvel Origins / 3SOE quality online edition of any of their old games with high budget presentation and actually useable net code, then I doubt they'd go for doing something that obscure. Don't get me wrong I'm stoked about LB2 and MOTW getting PS4 / VITA releases, but they are blatant lowest-possible-budget releases.

I mean jesus SNK, you can just license GGPO, you don't even have to MAKE the net code, just BUY IT! IT ALREADY EXISTS!

Are you really stoked for Last Blade 2 and MOTW on yet another platform? Why? We've had MOTW dumped on every platform from here to Dreamcast. Last Blade 2 not as often, but it's been available. Hard to get excited at all over yet another ROM dump with a shitty emulator wrapped around it on yet another platform. No matter how much I like the original games, and played them years ago, it's time to move on.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
is the second last one Antonov from the new KOF14?

Holy shit, three posts... Whatever, last one for now. I think you might be on to something with this one. Especially with all the fan service they're playing in 14's lineup. Even his belt is similar (though, not quite as over the top as in KoF)... That's definitely an interesting possibility.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Holy shit, three posts... Whatever, last one for now. I think you might be on to something with this one. Especially with all the fan service they're playing in 14's lineup. Even his belt is similar (though, not quite as over the top as in KoF)... That's definitely an interesting possibility.

With this game I often find myself asking "why didnt they just use .....insert character.... instead of creating a new one?"

Like this guy clearly reminds me of Krauser. Not necessarily the way he plays but his place in the game. So why didnt they just use Krauser?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I was joking a bit above. But on the real now that we've seen these, where are the mythical LB3 sprites hiding?

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Thinking SNK could sell more than a couple hundred copies of MOTW2 on MVS or AES is delusional. I don't care if you post about it on every forum that has even mentioned the letters SNK, there just aren't that many people out there to recoup the price of doing this game by a big company.
I think this has been very clear for the last 13 years since we saw the last game come out, obviously we are just fantasizing here to think this was serious is delusional:-J

SNK is not in the market of boutique runs for niche gamers. They want to sell big on current gen and relevant platforms in order to actually survive as a company, and not die a third death.
If with this you mean cell phones and pachislot (not even anymore) then you may be right.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Are you really stoked for Last Blade 2 and MOTW on yet another platform? Why? We've had MOTW dumped on every platform from here to Dreamcast. Last Blade 2 not as often, but it's been available. Hard to get excited at all over yet another ROM dump with a shitty emulator wrapped around it on yet another platform. No matter how much I like the original games, and played them years ago, it's time to move on.

Yeah, I actually am, because I will be able to play it online with my friends who I introduced to MOTW and LB2 on the Neo Geo just a few years ago. They never played them on those systems, they weren't familiar with Neo Geo at all despite being the same age as me, but they got super into the games when they got to play them because they're a lot of fun, and we play them every month or two now. Same thing happened when LB2 came out on PS4, ton of people who had never seen the game, saw the game on streams and the like, were blown away by it, and picked up copies.

We don't move on from good films or good music, so why would it be time to move on from good games? You're on a Neo Geo forum in the year 2016 for godsake. It's not not like I don't play modern games when they're good, I'm just happy that games I love are sticking around so that more people can see and experience them, and so I can share them with my friends.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
I was actually fortunate enough to have met Yasayuki Oda (Director of MOTW and current director of KOF XIV) via a translator and had a few words about MOTW. You can tell he cherishes the memories of working on that game though it sounded pretty grueling in terms of the technical hardships working with the NG hardware and breaking it constantly.

I genuinely think he's not only aware of the passion we have for Garou but is actively looking into how he can continue it. Though I think it might even be better/more likely just to reboot the Fatal Fury series in some capacity. (though I would be sad, I want to play as Rock again :(